The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Original post by g.k.galloway
chemistry,economics,maths,biology :smile:

Good choices :smile:
Reply 1241
Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Geography, Physics (AS only).

Can't wait to look at my timetable and be looking forward to every lesson, not detesting half of them!
Original post by Ryan_U1
Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Geography

4 Hard subjects :s not sure I've made the right choice.

Same as me! How i think of it, Chemisty, Maths and Physics will all benefit each other. It just takes time to learn the various calculation and equations.
Biology, Psychology, English and Business studies.
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Spanish and Government and Politics.
Unsure on Spanish, might either do RS or Biology instead
Original post by ktommo
Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Accounting

I don't to be cycnical, but universities normally won't accept a levels that are too similar, especially economics and accounting/business studies. I had this problem when choosing, and my head told me to only do economics as having two very similiar subjects suggest to unis that you want an easy set of A levels
Physics, Maths

Then...

2 out of Chemistry, French and Spanish.

If I want to do Astrophysics at uni should I do Chemistry?
I don't enjoy it as much as French and Spanish that's for sure, so not sure what to do...

Deciding which ones to do has almost been the death of me! :unsure:
I'm doing 6 subjects in sixth form and just can't wait!! :biggrin:

PSYCHOLOGY
BIOLOGY
CHEMISTRY
ENGLISH LIT
JAPANESE
MATHS

GCSEs, get out of my way please.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1248
Original post by _Morsey_
Same as me! How i think of it, Chemisty, Maths and Physics will all benefit each other. It just takes time to learn the various calculation and equations.
I had the same thought of it too. And plus if you realise they are too hard you can always drop one anyways.
Original post by pink pineapple
I second this - I do French, it's alot of work but I've found it massively rewarding :smile:

My main concern for french was the work load but I do prefer it to maths. Plus it seems that you both have found it helpful so I guess I should probably take it :smile:
Original post by saraswiftlove
I'd do French - it's always good to have a foreign language!

Although I really enjoy french, many people have been telling me that universities would prefer a maths a level- do you think this is true or is a foreign language just as worthy?
Reply 1251
I know that this forum is for people choosing A-Levels, however I felt obliged to comment as someone who is currently studying at AS Level. I can't help but notice that many of you want to take up 5, 6, even 7 AS's. As a student who attained 13A*s last year and placed Top in Northern Ireland at Double Award Science, even I struggle to cope with the demands of 4 AS's in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths. You are very naive to believe you could juggle so many subjects. I think the problem is, is that you underestimate the level of work required in an AS. Honestly, GCSE's are the easiest things you could ever do, A-Level, is a completely different ball game! The depth that you study into is unbelievable, I couldn't even compare GCSE Biology to AS.

I just wanted to warn you, that unless you want to do nothing else but study, there is no real advantage to doing so many A-Levels. Universities prefer all 3/4 strong subjects compared to 5/6/7 average results. Stick to what you're good at and play to your strengths!
Original post by BMG123
I know that this forum is for people choosing A-Levels, however I felt obliged to comment as someone who is currently studying at AS Level. I can't help but notice that many of you want to take up 5, 6, even 7 AS's. As a student who attained 13A*s last year and placed Top in Northern Ireland at Double Award Science, even I struggle to cope with the demands of 4 AS's in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths. You are very naive to believe you could juggle so many subjects. I think the problem is, is that you underestimate the level of work required in an AS. Honestly, GCSE's are the easiest things you could ever do, A-Level, is a completely different ball game! The depth that you study into is unbelievable, I couldn't even compare GCSE Biology to AS.

I just wanted to warn you, that unless you want to do nothing else but study, there is no real advantage to doing so many A-Levels. Universities prefer all 3/4 strong subjects compared to 5/6/7 average results. Stick to what you're good at and play to your strengths!

Anything I'm doing extra is early, at A Level I plan (in school time) to do is Maths A2, Further Maths AS, Chemistry A Level, Physics A Level and French A Level :biggrin: and then we're forced to do Welsh Baccalaureate -.-
Reply 1253
Original post by ellenabethx
I don't to be cycnical, but universities normally won't accept a levels that are too similar, especially economics and accounting/business studies. I had this problem when choosing, and my head told me to only do economics as having two very similiar subjects suggest to unis that you want an easy set of A levels

ahh, okay thanks for letting me know.
Hmm,

Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Art (+ Physics because the silly 6thform put me in for 5 instead, i don't mind though aha)
Original post by BMG123

Im an AS student too, and i couldnt have worded that better myself! :smile:
I've chosen based on what I'm good at and what will be useful for studying English at Uni.

English Literature
History
Biology
English Language
Art
English Lit, German, Chemistry, Maths :biggrin:
(seriously reconsidering maths hahaha I'm seriously screwed for my exam on Monday, predicted A or A* but apparently an A is not enough for next year, oops)
Original post by voodoo_child
English Lit, German, Chemistry, Maths :biggrin:
(seriously reconsidering maths hahaha I'm seriously screwed for my exam on Monday, predicted A or A* but apparently an A is not enough for next year, oops)

lol u mad? a B is the requirment for most colleges and sixth forms.
Original post by BMG123

Im in AS aswell and this is soooo true. Listen to her year 11's otherwise you will be swamped by 5 AS levels when really you only need 3/4

Quick Reply