The Student Room Group

funny smell from oven. paranoid now.

our oven has started smelling really bad of plastic fumes (its not plastic though).

When we cook in it and open the door, the smoke that comes from it is ubelievable and burns your eyes etc. And it stinks of poison.

Ive been eating food from it, and the food tastes really nasty, like poison.

Ive just been reading up on google and apparently these fumes can be toxic, especially if its gets in your food!!

now im really paranoid!! what is this smell?? if its toxic am i gonna get ill cos i just ate a load of food from there :frown:

Scroll to see replies

why did you even eat it in the first place if it smelt and tasted like poison?
is it new or have you had any work done to it recently? particularly anything to do with the igniter?

bit of an obvious one but have you put anything plastic in there?
Reply 3
Original post by Bellissima
what does this generic "poison" taste/smell like and how do you know? :s-smilie:

do you clean your oven? have you tried cleaning your oven?

remember, always wear your marigolds!

The website is called "The Student Room"
Original post by Darth Stewie
is it new or have you had any work done to it recently? particularly anything to do with the igniter?

bit of an obvious one but have you put anything plastic in there?

thanks for the sensible answer :smile:

no we havent, nothings changed :frown: we had the smell about half a year ago, then it went, and now its all come back again- a few days ago.
what does this generic "poison" taste/smell like and how do you know? :s-smilie:

do you clean your oven? have you tried cleaning your oven?

remember, always wear your marigolds!

because plastic fumes are toxic to humans and it smells very similar to that and google suggest its dangerous.

taste/smell- our noses/ears/mouths etc are linked by tubes.
Thats why you can say goats cheese tastes like hay because sometimes if something is strong enough smell wise you can taste the smell!!
Original post by slappyhours
why did you even eat it in the first place if it smelt and tasted like poison?

becauyse im a greedy fat pig and the pizza had a vague taste of the 'smell' but i assumed it was okay because ive eaten everything before from there.
Reply 7
Like every normal, instinctive human being, the moment the smoke from your oven starts burning your eyes and making food taste like poison is the moment you should throw it far away and run like hell but of course some people will wait until the oven bursts into flames...
Reply 8
yes but come on... it smells like "poison" surely even a student can't be that lazy?!!? or they could at least buy a new one...

To be honest I'd probably just start using the microwave...but then my time as an undergraduate was when I conducted the main fieldwork for my forthcoming thesis 'No, NO, I'm sure this will work in the microwave the oven will take too long...no I know there's no microwave instructions...It'll be fine, they wouldn't SELL it if it wasn't fine'
ok well if you can taste this in your food maybe you should stop eating the food

i did stop but its too late now cos i already ate some
ah you'll probably be fine. things usually turn out fine. lol.
Reply 11
Original post by pinkangelgirl
i did stop but its too late now cos i already ate some

Dont go sleep. What if you never wake up again :frown:
Original post by pinkangelgirl
thanks for the sensible answer :smile:

no we havent, nothings changed :frown: we had the smell about half a year ago, then it went, and now its all come back again- a few days ago.

Heard it happening when certain parts of the oven (mainly nuts and bolts) were replaced with plastic versions which tend to melt. Have you checked behind/under it? something plastic could have fallen or rolled under it although that would probably not cause the inside to smell strongly. If it went last time then just try leaving it open for a while and then doing a full clean just to make sure nothing is on the inside, highly doubt you will be in any real danger by eating the food though, possibly might feel a bit sick and i wouldn't suggest continuing to use it but after one meal you'll be ok.

Other than something melting can't really think what else it would be, sometimes new ovens smell plasticy (think its something to do with the coating they use) but that should go pretty quickly.
Original post by Darth Stewie
Heard it happening when certain parts of the oven (mainly nuts and bolts) were replaced with plastic versions which tend to melt. Have you checked behind/under it? something plastic could have fallen or rolled under it although that would probably not cause the inside to smell strongly. If it went last time then just try leaving it open for a while and then doing a full clean just to make sure nothing is on the inside, highly doubt you will be in any real danger by eating the food though, possibly might feel a bit sick and i wouldn't suggest continuing to use it but after one meal you'll be ok.

Other than something melting can't really think what else it would be, sometimes new ovens smell plasticy (think its something to do with the coating they use) but that should go pretty quickly.

ok thanks :smile:

yeh ive ate from it loads of times before. :frown:

just wont again lol! i stopped using it when it happened before, so ill just stop again.

Thanksss
Anyone have any further knowledge on this, was it a whirlpool cooker? Just having the same problem and can't find any information - so if anyone is still following this we'd appreciate your knowledge:-)
Any suggestions on why this happened? Maybe you have all graduated to another site!! Was it a whirlpool? Ours is doing the same thing - yucky taste off food, horrible smell...... anyone still out there!!
Stop smoking weed.
Reply 18
My cooker was bought in March , ive just went to cook dinner and my oven is smelling really bad almost like a plastic and burning smell and a bit smoke coming from it.. I’ve turned it off and opened up windows .. anyone know what I should do 🤷*♀️
Original post by Kimbo91
My cooker was bought in March , ive just went to cook dinner and my oven is smelling really bad almost like a plastic and burning smell and a bit smoke coming from it.. I’ve turned it off and opened up windows .. anyone know what I should do 🤷*♀️

Not bump a 6 year old thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending