The Student Room Group

Have you ever been in an open relationship/could you be in one?

by this i mean in a relationship with someone but one of you/both of you sleep with other people... not have 2 "loving" relationships etc. but you are their "partner" but one or both of you have sex and just sex with others?

OR if you have never done this - could you ever?

your age/gender? did you have any "rules" e.g. don't ask don't tell, only 1 sex partner a week/month?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2149248/Holly-Hill-Author-admits-went-wrong-let-boyfriend-cheat-nights-week.html
Never been in one, and never would want to be.
i dont understand that article.

If they were an open relationship, its not cheating.

Anyway, in answer to your question im a 21 year old girl.

I dont think i could do an open relationship- friends with benefits, yes but not OR
Reply 3
Original post by Foo.mp3
I've had 2 quasi-open relationships 'on the books' (one of them current) and a number of casual tings too (one of which was tantamount to a LDR I suppose)

Just curious as to how (and why) a couple agrees to an open relationship?
I believe in sexual freedom, (as long as you stay away from animals and kids), so I wouldn't impose my veiws or beliefs about sex/the sactity of on anyone else.
But i don't feel i would be able to have such a relationship for religious reasons.
I think I could only have one sexual partner I loved very much(just to clarify, i believe sex before marriage is fine)
Reply 5
Original post by brunettegirl92
I believe in sexual freedom, (as long as you stay away from animals and kids), so I wouldn't impose my veiws or beliefs about sex/the sactity of on anyone else.
But i don't feel i would be able to have such a relationship for religious reasons.
I think I could only have one sexual partner I loved very much(just to clarify, i believe sex before marriage is fine)

what is your religion if you don't mind me asking, and is it just for religious reasons or emotional too? if you suddenly lost faith (hypothetically) how would you feel about it?
I haven't been in one and I think I'd struggle. I've actually had one girlfriend in the past who was actually comfortable with the idea of me sleeping with other women (without wanting anything in return) but I wasn't ever in a position to take advantage of that and I'm not sure it would have been worth it if I did. I don't like complications and I don't like the idea of having to fight for a woman's attention when I'm already seeing her, so for me I think exclusive relationships (whether they be serious or more casual) are more suitable.
Reply 7
i suppose if id only just met someone i could be in an OR, or if it was a friend but id have to break it off if i got emotionally attached
Reply 8
I was in an 'open relationship' for about half a year. Being based in London and her in Leeds, it kind of made sense at the time, considering we liked each other, enough to want to care for each other and talk a lot, but not enough to completely remove other possibilities that may occur and such.

One thing that was really important during it was that when I was up there, or she was down in London with me, was that it effectively was like a normal relationship. Everything we did those times was like a relationship, but when either one us went home or so, we still kept in contact by calling, texting, a few things on facebook and whatnot but we agreed that it was okay, if there was a possibility or temptation with another person then we allowed each other to pursue it. I know she slept with about 3 other guys in the course of that time, and I can't say I slept with as many girls at all, because I usually hate approaching girls anyway, but hate proper relationships. So that's why it worked.

Anyway, it ended because I think we personally got a bit tired of it, and moreso, I think, one of the guys she was with one time wanted her to get more serious with him and cut the open relationship we had. And I didn't miss it.

It worked out great, because we never had a single argument, we incredibly close at times and enjoyed many great experiences together, felt more than just '**** buddies' and was actually quite romantic at times. But it avoided all the stuff I hate with relationships; the insecurities, the arguments, all of it.

I can't say I'd have another one because even though it wasn't much effort, it was still some effort at times. Which is less desirable than being single.

Hope that makes some sense!
Original post by Bellissima
what is your religion if you don't mind me asking, and is it just for religious reasons or emotional too? if you suddenly lost faith (hypothetically) how would you feel about it?

I am christian- protestant
I believe that, to me, sex is sacred and should be done with someone you truly love. It is sacred as it is a gift form god (to be enjoyed), and is the most intimate level both spiritually and physically you can have with your partner (to me someone i should love)

I don't believe that it is wrong for people who do not subcribe to this particular belief to have sex with whomever/whenever, because they are my beliefs, not everyone elses or the 'correct' one (i don't see any religion as the 'correct' one, they are all opinions and beliefs, and they feel right to the people who follow them) as I do not share these beliefs with others, it is irrelevant to others.

Hypothetically If I had a sudden loss of faith, sex would lose its sanctity, therefore, there would be no religios belief preventing me from such a relationship.
however, emotionally I am very loyal, and potentially jelous.I wouldn't want my partner having sex with anyone else, and I wouldn't want to give myself to anyone else

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending