The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VanessaXD
i know right, no way would anyone get decent grades in hard subjects like chemistry if they were just memorising the information. It is lucky in Psychology though but still memorising takes a long time, it would be more effective to know the material.

If you ask me, chemistry is tonnes easier than this!
Original post by Heyimdec
Alright so I've looked through the last 6 PSYA4 papers and have listed the previous questions for Depression below:

Spec paper - Psychological & Biological therapies
Jan 10 - Clinical Diagnosis & Biological therapies
June 10 - Biological & Psychological explanations
Jan 11 - Psychological therapies
June 11 - Biological therapies
Jan 12 - Psychological explanations

So here is the tally for each topic:

Diagnosis & Classification: I
Biological explanations: I
Biological therapies: II
Psychological explanations: II
Psychological therapies: II

So it would seem we are due a question on Diagnosis & Classification and/or Biological explanations, for Depression anyway.

What does everyone else think prediction wise? :smile:

My money is on diagnosis and classification, much to my dismy as it's the only part of depression I'm not too confident with!

I really don't want them to do an awkward 4+8 for it either, that will make it even worse.
Original post by Mephestic
While I think what you say is true, it is always possible; a great deal of what happens comes down to luck in the questions and which ones she may know better than others as its impossible to memorise sufficiently all the possible questions that can come up.

Her best chance is if the questions she knows well comes up and hedging her bets on them otherwise spreading herself thin memorising everything is going to be really difficult - especially memorising papers 3+4 and paper 3 is heavy on the content..plus 4 isnt a walk in the park either :s-smilie:

Though I must say well done on your results, thats really good considering you didnt revise that much! I dont think I could have done that myself but kudo's to you for it.

Yeah, you're right :smile: I don't think I'd have done well on that paper if those particular questions hadn't have come up in January - our teachers predicted those questions so they put them on our mock and they happened to be on the paper! So I think I was lucky in that sense, they could have been awful questions...

But yeah... I think you've just gotta know the content well, and... just be able to adapt your knowledge to the question. Which is all what unit 4 is about. I actually find it easier than unit 3 because it's not about having to know and repeat tons of knowledge.

Anyway, good luck to whoever it was doing the two exams, and you with unit 4 :smile:
And thank you, but it was mainly luck, I just thought that that person shouldn't assume they'd fail from not revising all this time :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Heyimdec
Alright so I've looked through the last 6 PSYA4 papers and have listed the previous questions for Depression below:

Spec paper - Psychological & Biological therapies
Jan 10 - Clinical Diagnosis & Biological therapies
June 10 - Biological & Psychological explanations
Jan 11 - Psychological therapies
June 11 - Biological therapies
Jan 12 - Psychological explanations

So here is the tally for each topic:

Diagnosis & Classification: I
Biological explanations: I
Biological therapies: II
Psychological explanations: II
Psychological therapies: II

So it would seem we are due a question on Diagnosis & Classification and/or Biological explanations, for Depression anyway.

What does everyone else think prediction wise? :smile:

Yh u think diagnosis is coming up.
Can you do the same for media please?
Reply 604
Original post by RebeccaKateM
I have three weeks to learn PSYA3 and PSYA4. Haven't started yet, any ideas? :confused:
When I had to revise last minute in January I fully learnt the essays or topics most likely to come up as they hadn't in like 2 years, didn't revise the topics that came up in the last exam and just read the exemplar essays for the rest. It worked. :smile:

All is definitely not lost. Learn some global AO2 points which you can adapt to pretty much any question. It'll be completely fine. (:
Reply 605
Anyone have notes for phobic disorders?
Reply 606
I'm thinking Psychological therapies for Schizophrenia? Not sure about Addiction. Anyone got any predictions?
Reply 607
Does anyone have any predictions for Media or Phobias? (:
Original post by Raeile
Does anyone have any predictions for Media or Phobias? (:

yeah I made a few predictions already.

I think media influences on anti social behaviour,

celebrity worship are likely.
phobias predictions are:

clinical characteristics + issues and validity they haven't come up for ages !!!!
Reply 610
Is anyone here doing Addiction?
Original post by dione
Is anyone here doing Addiction?

Yes
As a survivor of the 2011 thread, best of luck people!
Reply 613
Original post by Mephestic
yeah I made a few predictions already.

I think media influences on anti social behaviour,

celebrity worship are likely.
Ahh, okay, thank you. :smile:
I really need to sort my notes out... :s-smilie:
Original post by Noodlzzz
As a survivor of the 2011 thread, best of luck people!

Thanks! :biggrin:
Is anyone doing anomalistic psychology here? It says on the summary of changes to the specification that new terms could be used in the wording of questions, but my teacher hasn't mentioned any of this and is insisting that the spec hasn't changed! I have no idea what probability judgement or magical thinking are.
I can't put into words how much I hate 'issues surrounding classification and diagnosis' - I have no idea where AO1 starts / ends, it all seems to converge.
Original post by salad_fingers
I can't put into words how much I hate 'issues surrounding classification and diagnosis' - I have no idea where AO1 starts / ends, it all seems to converge.

Me too. so im just going to memorise everything and write it down even if its not relevant
Original post by SecretCircus
Is anyone doing anomalistic psychology here? It says on the summary of changes to the specification that new terms could be used in the wording of questions, but my teacher hasn't mentioned any of this and is insisting that the spec hasn't changed! I have no idea what probability judgement or magical thinking are.

Your teacher is seriously stupid! There has been a change in the spec!! Words such as magical thinking will now be used etc.. What i'll do, is tomorrow morning i'll find my notes of what is changed and repost them up for you! It's not much of a change but if some words are different you dont want to risk not knowing what they're asking!
Original post by darkshadow1111
Me too. so im just going to memorise everything and write it down even if its not relevant

Good plan, I'm just woried that they're going to make us do a short question on it, like 4+8 or something, that will be so awkward, I really don't want that to happen :'( I have spent so many hours trying to write an essay on this bit, I think I've almost got it now but whatever I write I'm not totally happy with, it's just so annoying that it's more or less guarenteed to come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending