The Student Room Group

Tips for revising psychology?

Hi,
I am coming to the end of my first year at university studying psychology, and I have my exams coming up. Two of them I am fairly confident on as they are multiple choice/short answer questions. However one of the exams is an essay writing exam, in which I will have to write 4 essays. We only have 45 minutes for each essay, so I know they won't be expecting great things, however this is the first time I will have actually written a psychology essay, as I didn't take the subject for A-level. So I was wondering if there is any way I am supposed to structure it? Or how much detail I am meant to go in to about theories etc.? Any tips which you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I just feel having not studied it at A-level will mean I have a slight disadvantage on this exam.
(Just in case anyone is wondering, I realise this is the A-level page, but I thought seeing as I need the A-level tips my peers already have, this may be the best place to come :P )
Think outside the box. Think what others would think and adapt it to how you would think, show comparisons and evaluate.
Reply 2
I studied psychology at A-Level and found that the approach necessary to take is constant evaluation rather than just description. Also you need to use conflicting/supporting theories in your answer, even if it only asks for one psychologists approach, you always should bring in others for critical evidence. So if the question was about evaluating the psycho-dynamic approach to anxiety disorders (dunno how i remember that) lol
An example layout could be:

Introduction:
Main Theory 1: Psycho-dynamic
Critique/Support evidence:
Main Theory 2: Behaviorism?
etc etc

The key thing that was drilled into our heads at A-Level was to be constantly evaluating throughout and to not just leave it until the concluding paragraph
Reply 3
Original post by cfearon149
I studied psychology at A-Level and found that the approach necessary to take is constant evaluation rather than just description. Also you need to use conflicting/supporting theories in your answer, even if it only asks for one psychologists approach, you always should bring in others for critical evidence. So if the question was about evaluating the psycho-dynamic approach to anxiety disorders (dunno how i remember that) lol
An example layout could be:

Introduction:
Main Theory 1: Psycho-dynamic
Main Theory 2: Behaviorism?
etc etc

The key thing that was drilled into our heads at A-Level was to be constantly evaluating throughout and to not just leave it until the concluding paragraph

Thanks very much! That was very useful :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SarahLo
Hi,
I am coming to the end of my first year at university studying psychology, and I have my exams coming up. Two of them I am fairly confident on as they are multiple choice/short answer questions. However one of the exams is an essay writing exam, in which I will have to write 4 essays. We only have 45 minutes for each essay, so I know they won't be expecting great things, however this is the first time I will have actually written a psychology essay, as I didn't take the subject for A-level. So I was wondering if there is any way I am supposed to structure it? Or how much detail I am meant to go in to about theories etc.? Any tips which you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I just feel having not studied it at A-level will mean I have a slight disadvantage on this exam.
(Just in case anyone is wondering, I realise this is the A-level page, but I thought seeing as I need the A-level tips my peers already have, this may be the best place to come :P )

Hey, could you give me an example of a uni psych essay? Like the title? X
Reply 5
Original post by Bjcross
Hey, could you give me an example of a uni psych essay? Like the title? X

Yeah sure :smile: Seeing as I am only in first year, it seems the questions are quite broad. For our history of psychology unit for example one of the questions was 'Explain the metaphor of the computer and compare it with other approaches' :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SarahLo
Yeah sure :smile: Seeing as I am only in first year, it seems the questions are quite broad. For our history of psychology unit for example one of the questions was 'Explain the metaphor of the computer and compare it with other approaches' :smile:

I haven't ever written an essay like that before! At a level, it's outline and evaluate a theory x
Reply 7
It's the end of your first year at university and you haven't had to write any essays yet? You better get a move on.
Original post by SarahLo
Hi,

2 MC exams and an exam consisting of 4 essays, each of 45 minutes each...

OMG, what I'm I letting myself in for...

I planned on studying this next year when my A2 subjects are done but now you've said that... :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by Dillio
It's the end of your first year at university and you haven't had to write any essays yet? You better get a move on.

We have written a couple of essays, but for coursework, meaning I've been able to spend a lot of time on them and we have had to thoroughly research them etc. But true on the getting a move on :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending