The Student Room Group

My A-Level Choices - Let me know what you think! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ummm
What exam board are you going to be on for computing?

I do biology and chemistry AS at the moment and am going to take them both onto A2. I'm on Edexcel, but it'll probably be pretty similar. I definitely think Biology is easier than chemistry, and I really enjoy some of the topics, however there are other ones that I find really dull (biodiversity, classification, plants (ugh)). I also really like chemistry, and although I find it a lot harder than biology, a lot of the time I kind of like it more. There's less memorisation involved, and everything kind of just makes sense. There's logical patterns to understanding stuff.

I suggest just choosing which ever one you enjoy more. I also take computing, and I hate it so so so so much.... but that's because the course on my exam board is just really dull, there are no proper resources, and I just have found that I have no interest whatsoever in a lot of the content.

I'm not sure, because Computing isn't in the course list in JCC's website. But JCC definitely have Computing as an option because it was there when I went to the open day. What exam board are you on for Computing? And if anybody goes to JCC please tell me what the exam board is for Computing. Thanks! :smile:
I thought this website would be helpful, but it's not. People are voting for contradictory options like Biology and Chemistry both being easier than each other! Grow up, if you don't want to help me, don't vote. Thanks to everybody who has voted properly and given me advice, I really appreciate it. I wouldn't mind more help though as I'm still not entirely sure. Right now I'm leaning towards Chemistry but feel free to tell me why I should/shouldn't choose Chemistry.
For the subjects that I'm doing, is Solihull Sixth Form or Joseph Chamberlain better for me?
Reply 23
Original post by Ferrari_1996
I'm probably going to do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. I'm probably going to do Computer Science or something similar at uni. I don't know if I should do chemistry because I don't need it for Computer Science. I'm definitely going to drop Chemistry is I decide to do it. But I'm wondering of there any other subject I should do? What's easier, Biology or Chemistry? I'm leaning towards Chemistry because it fits my other subjects better, but I might choose Biology if it's easier. I'm most likely going to go to Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College so the Exam board = OCR. Help!

Many thanks in advance :smile:

I do both OCR Bio and Chem.

OCR Bio IS NOT easy. In fact, do a search on the unit 2 exam on monday. Absolutely unbelievably unfair.

Take bio only if you're interested, it's not easy, there's just so much content and the tests can be on anything these days.

OCR Chemistry is logical, if you're into that kind of thing, maths etc, go for it, it would suit you.
Original post by Pride
I do both OCR Bio and Chem.

OCR Bio IS NOT easy. In fact, do a search on the unit 2 exam on monday. Absolutely unbelievably unfair.

Take bio only if you're interested, it's not easy, there's just so much content and the tests can be on anything these days.

OCR Chemistry is logical, if you're into that kind of thing, maths etc, go for it, it would suit you.

Ok. Yeah I'm more of a logical person. But I have another dilemma/hard decision. Should I go to Solihull Sixth Form College or Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College? I have a place in both colleges, so all I need to do is choose but the decision is so hard and time is running out!
Reply 25
Ok. Yeah I'm more of a logical person. But I have another dilemma/hard decision. Should I go to Solihull Sixth Form College or Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College? I have a place in both colleges, so all I need to do is choose but the decision is so hard and time is running out!

haha I don't know about these silly sixth form colleges... how would I know anything specific about them? Just make a decision, it's sixth form, they're both going to be good. Have you been to any of their open evenings? Which school do you prefer?
Original post by Pride
haha I don't know about these silly sixth form colleges... how would I know anything specific about them? Just make a decision, it's sixth form, they're both going to be good. Have you been to any of their open evenings? Which school do you prefer?

I'm going to go to the induction day for both sixth form colleges and I'm going to use the induction days to decide which one to go to. I went to both open days but I don't really remember a lot tbh. I'll wait until the induction days are over before making up my mind...
I'm probably going to do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. I'm probably going to do Computer Science or something similar at uni. I don't know if I should do chemistry because I don't need it for Computer Science. I'm definitely going to drop Chemistry is I decide to do it. But I'm wondering of there any other subject I should do? What's easier, Biology or Chemistry? I'm leaning towards Chemistry because it fits my other subjects better, but I might choose Biology if it's easier. I'm most likely going to go to Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College so the Exam board = OCR. Help!

Do you go jc now then?

Hi!

Did you end up going to JC then? How was it? I am thinking of going there so could you tell me about your experience there like teachers etc? THANK YOU!!!

If you want to do computer science, you should take maths, further maths and physics as your main 3 Alevels. Then for the 4th you can take whatever you like.

Quick Reply

Latest