The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever managed to change colleges before?

I just got an offer from college X which I am not very pleased with... can anyone tell me if they know it is possible to change colleges? Also, I really need an ensuite room but it seems like they are all taken... i am doomed! advice please TSR !! :tongue:
If there's a medical reason that you need an ensuite room (e.g. IBS), you should write and tell them, to see if they will accommodate your request. If there are medical reasons, they're kinda obliged to try as hard as they can to give you an ensuite. If it's just because you would prefer one, I'm afraid you'll have to get by without one.

I'm afraid you can't just change your college because you don't like it. It's incredibly difficult to change colleges. I've personally never heard of it happening with anyone I know :nah:
Yeah! just dont forget your totem. :P
Are you talking about postgrad? If so I would suggest asking in the Oxford postrgrad application thread, where your other post was moved to. Someone there is likely to know.
Reply 4
Original post by candystrippa
I just got an offer from college X which I am not very pleased with... can anyone tell me if they know it is possible to change colleges? Also, I really need an ensuite room but it seems like they are all taken... i am doomed! advice please TSR !! :tongue:

Postgraduate applicants are only passed from one College to another if there is funding available at the College they're moving to which they couldn't access at the original College. If there's no funding issue then you won't be moved.
Reply 5
Original post by shj
You'll end up loving and being really defensive of whichever college you're at, trust. :smile:

This.
I barely know anyone who actually CHOSE Queen's, I think out of my group of friends there's only like two? But whilst we are a pretty mediocre college we will defend it's honour to the death. You will irrationally adore wherever you end up. Plus there's really not THAT much difference between the colleges (except, obviously, that Queen's is better.)
Original post by riotgrrl
This.
I barely know anyone who actually CHOSE Queen's, I think out of my group of friends there's only like two? But whilst we are a pretty mediocre college we will defend it's honour to the death. You will irrationally adore wherever you end up. Plus there's really not THAT much difference between the colleges (except, obviously, that Queen's is better.)

Obviously. :wink:
Reply 7
One of my friends changed to Wadham college (I can't remember which one she was at initially), so I suppose that proves it does happen. However, I think wanting to change without having even gone is both hugely unlikely and stunningly premature.
Reply 8
The only case of someone switching colleges that I encountered was where the individual in question changed subjects and had to move to a college which offered the subject they were changing to.

But to do that they had to reinterview and come back at the start of the next academic year, so it's really not something that happens without some kind of major reason. I would be very surprised if your college couldn't cater for your ensuite needs, assuming that they relate to some kind of medical condition.
Reply 9
As above - it happens when changing subjects. Otherwise, no you can't. And no one 'needs' an en-suite (barring medical reasons, which are catered for).
It occasionally happens at undergrad, I'm not sure how people request or achieve it, but if it's anything like changing courses it's probably practiced by tactical applicants who got into a 'lesser' college and try to trade up.
Reply 11
Original post by mournfulpirate
if it's anything like changing courses it's probably practiced by tactical applicants who got into a 'lesser' college and try to trade up.

I think that's a bit too cynical, particularly as you can never have any idea which college you'd end up moving to. There can be very valid reasons for changing a course - I know of 3 people who've done so, one who had to change college as a result, and all did it because it became very clear that their strengths lay in a related subject to the one they had applied to do, so it made much more sense for them to change. They reinterviewed, but didn't have to redo the year, simply had to catch up instead. One had to pass prelims in the original subject first.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest