The Student Room Group

The "I'm scared I'm going to miss my offer" thread

At this time of year many people worry a lot about whether they are going to make their offers. For some people it's simply a loss of confidence, while others are panicking about that exam that they are sure went really badly and can’t imagine how they will get the grades they need. This thread is for you :smile:

Extenuating Circumstances
If you have been ill or there have been other things going on in your life (eg bereavement) which may have significantly affected either your revision or the exam itself, you should make sure that your school/college informs both the Exam Board and your firm/insurance unis well before Results are published. There is no guarantee that this information will be taken into account, but on the other hand it can’t be if the Exam Board/unis don’t have it in the first place. Bear in mind, however, that you are very likely to be expected to provide some documentary evidence of the issue, whatever it was.

If you have had a teaching disaster - wrong syllabus, absent/incompetent teachers - the school/college should be prepared to write to the unis concerned to inform them about it. Again, there's no guarantee the uni will take any notice, but it can be helpful.

I’m panicking I don’t know enough/the work is going really badly/I don’t understand a key topic
Easy to say, but really important: stay calm. Freaking out is not a good strategy for exam preparation. However bad things may seem, unless you’ve been bone idle you certainly know more than you think you do, and you’ll be surprised how much surfaces when you need it in the exam.

Try and be organised in your approach to revision, but don’t beat yourself up if the timetable doesn’t work out quite like that. Most revision timetables are works of fiction worthy of the Nobel Prize for Literature. If you are too distracted at home, go into school/college or a library and work there instead.

If there’s a topic you absolutely have to understand and you don’t, contact your teacher and ask for help. It's not a good idea to rely on your friends unless you are absolutely certain they know what they’re about :smile:

Keeping well...

Looking after your health is really important. Don’t stay up all night on TSR; try not to sleep late in the mornings (yeah, yeah, I know) and make sure you get out for some fresh air every day; a brisk walk beforehand is excellent preparation for an exam. Seriously.

Try not to eat too much random rubbish; keeping the fruit and veg and plenty of water going in will improve your ability to fend off the bugs, and generally help you to cope with the stress more positively. Remember to take some plain water into the exam with you as your brain works better if you have enough fluid on board!

I’m sure I failed/won’t have got the grade I need
Whatever happened in yesterday’s exam, however disastrous you thought it was, don’t be distracted from the exams you still have to do. You are likely to have done better than you thought, and there will be very little more annoying than to find out in August that it was the exams after the ‘disaster’ that actually let you down.

If I do miss my offer, what are the chances that my firm/insurance uni will let me in anyway?
No-one can say what your chances are. The higher ranked the university, and the more competitive the course, the more likely it will be that they won’t take you if you don’t meet your offer. HOWEVER this is not definite, by any means. In previous years, many unis have accepted people who’ve missed their offers, even for competitive courses, so do not assume that all is lost. The only time when you will know for sure either way is on Results Day, so there is little to be gained by worrying about it now, and it is a terrible waste of energy if you still have exams to do.

Scroll to see replies

Brought here by OCR Chemistry A...
Reply 2
i did a really really bad physics paper last week and i don't think i'm going to get grade i need for my offer. my uni has asked that physics is the highest grade of my offer. is it possible i will still get in if i achieve highest grade in another one of my subjects and get the lower grade in physics? any chance do you think - has this happened to anyone before?
Reply 3
Original post by 5heart
i did a really really bad physics paper last week and i don't think i'm going to get grade i need for my offer. my uni has asked that physics is the highest grade of my offer. is it possible i will still get in if i achieve highest grade in another one of my subjects and get the lower grade in physics? any chance do you think - has this happened to anyone before?
Even if I knew which university we're talking about, it'd be impossible to say whether there's a chance of getting in if you miss your offer. BUT you don't know that you have. Whatever you thought of that paper last week, park it and move on and do as well as you can in the rest of your exams.
STEP :afraid:
Reply 5
Hey everybody.
This might sound like a stupid move on my part, but every single one of the universities that I applied for gave me the same offer, allowing no room for error. This was the case because they were the only unis I remotely liked. Now with how badly I've done in exams, I'm almost certain that I'm going to miss my AAB offer.
If I miss my offer, could I take a gap year and during that year indepently sit some retake exams to bump up my grades to what I need and then reapply?
Thanks. :smile:
Original post by aRubberDuck
Hey everybody.
This might sound like a stupid move on my part, but every single one of the universities that I applied for gave me the same offer, allowing no room for error. This was the case because they were the only unis I remotely liked. Now with how badly I've done in exams, I'm almost certain that I'm going to miss my AAB offer.
If I miss my offer, could I take a gap year and during that year indepently sit some retake exams to bump up my grades to what I need and then reapply?
Thanks. :smile:

Yes, you could do that. Though you'd have to bear in mind that your A level grades would then be achieved over three years rather than two, which may put you at a disadvantage.
Reply 7
maths......
Reply 8
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Yes, you could do that. Though you'd have to bear in mind that your A level grades would then be achieved over three years rather than two, which may put you at a disadvantage.

Thats great to hear, and that's what I would have assumed. I'm planning to do some extra-curriucular stuff in the gap year so it doesn't come across like I took a gap year to bum about and stuff.
Thanks for the reply. :smile:
Reply 9
Title of the thread quoted what was in my head earlier.

Sound advice though :biggrin:
Original post by hassi94
STEP :afraid:

:hugs: Cambridge? Just keep at it with the past papers really.
Original post by Brand New Eyes
:hugs: Cambridge? Just keep at it with the past papers really.

Yeah, and thanks I am doing so - can only hope it's enough :smile:
Reply 12

Original post by Minerva
x

Hi I was wondering if you could give me some advice.
I have an offer from UCL & east anglia for bio-chemistry at AAA at biology, chemistry and maths. I was on course to get it, needed around a 64% and 82.5% in my remaining bio and chem exam to get an A overall.

but last week the school made a major error with one of my practical papers in chemistry and they didnt even realise it. The exam board, edexcel, realised it last week and they sent my paper back, so i could do the experiment asap and, hence do the paper. The paper is out of 14marks and worth 35% of the Unit 3 Chemistry and 7% of my AS Chemistry and 3.5% of overall grade in chemistry. So at the end i did the experiment and the paper under an hour, where as people usually get around 2-3hours to do it. Also I had another exam just before the practical, (Edexcel Statistics1), and hence didnt have any time to prepare my self for the practical. I had to rush through the experiment and the paper as it had to get sent off 1pm and i only finished my s1 around 11.30ish. now I think i did really bad on it! like i most probably got half of the 14marks!:angry::angry:

Is there any thing i can do? and if so, what? Please advice

EDIT : from my calculation, based on the marks i already got in unit 1 & 2 & 6 of chemistry, i will most probably will need around 87.5% to get an A in chem which i will probz wont get :'(
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13

Original post by Minerva
At this time of year many people worry a lot about whether they are going to make their offers. For some people it's simply a loss of confidence, while others are panicking about that exam that they are sure went really badly and can’t imagine how they will get the grades they need. This thread is for you :smile:

Extenuating Circumstances
If you have been ill or there have been other things going on in your life (eg bereavement) which may have significantly affected either your revision or the exam itself, you should make sure that your school/college informs both the Exam Board and your firm/insurance unis well before Results are published. There is no guarantee that this information will be taken into account, but on the other hand it can’t be if the Exam Board/unis don’t have it in the first place. Bear in mind, however, that you are very likely to be expected to provide some documentary evidence of the issue, whatever it was.

If you have had a teaching disaster - wrong syllabus, absent/incompetent teachers - the school/college should be prepared to write to the unis concerned to inform them about it. Again, there's no guarantee the uni will take any notice, but it can be helpful.

I’m panicking I don’t know enough/the work is going really badly/I don’t understand a key topic
Easy to say, but really important: stay calm. Freaking out is not a good strategy for exam preparation. However bad things may seem, unless you’ve been bone idle you certainly know more than you think you do, and you’ll be surprised how much surfaces when you need it in the exam.

Try and be organised in your approach to revision, but don’t beat yourself up if the timetable doesn’t work out quite like that. Most revision timetables are works of fiction worthy of the Nobel Prize for Literature. If you are too distracted at home, go into school/college or a library and work there instead.

If there’s a topic you absolutely have to understand and you don’t, contact your teacher and ask for help. It's not a good idea to rely on your friends unless you are absolutely certain they know what they’re about :smile:

Keeping well...

Looking after your health is really important. Don’t stay up all night on TSR; try not to sleep late in the mornings (yeah, yeah, I know) and make sure you get out for some fresh air every day; a brisk walk beforehand is excellent preparation for an exam. Seriously.

Try not to eat too much random rubbish; keeping the fruit and veg and plenty of water going in will improve your ability to fend off the bugs, and generally help you to cope with the stress more positively. Remember to take some plain water into the exam with you as your brain works better if you have enough fluid on board!

I’m sure I failed/won’t have got the grade I need
Whatever happened in yesterday’s exam, however disastrous you thought it was, don’t be distracted from the exams you still have to do. You are likely to have done better than you thought, and there will be very little more annoying than to find out in August that it was the exams after the ‘disaster’ that actually let you down.

If I do miss my offer, what are the chances that my firm/insurance uni will let me in anyway?
No-one can say what your chances are. The higher ranked the university, and the more competitive the course, the more likely it will be that they won’t take you if you don’t meet your offer. HOWEVER this is not definite, by any means. In previous years, many unis have accepted people who’ve missed their offers, even for competitive courses, so do not assume that all is lost. The only time when you will know for sure either way is on Results Day, so there is little to be gained by worrying about it now, and it is a terrible waste of energy if you still have exams to do.

im definitely gonna take some of that advice and start to go hard with the revision, thanks for the push!

hi. just saw both of your sigs said PS help and unis. so i was wondering that if i choose to reapply and take a gap year next year, on my PS do i have to include things i will be doing in my gap year or can i apply with the same PS? as in, i dont really have anything planned for summer ie work experience or any sort of extra curricular and i cant see that being possible tbh so i wont have much to add to the PS itself apart from the grades i achieved. im assuming that merely talking about my plans for the gap year would be sort of pointless since it would be pure speculation (they have no real reason to believe i will follow through with any plans).

im sorry , this has turned to be a very convoluted post but i would be so appreciative if you could lend me some advice on this matter.

thanks a lot.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by arnab
x

I don't know, sorry. That's more of an A levels issue than an applications issue. You may get a better response in the A levels forum :smile:

Original post by ugk4life
im definitely gonna take some of that advice and start to go hard with the revision, thanks for the push!

hi. just saw both of your sigs said PS help and unis. so i was wondering that if i choose to reapply and take a gap year next year, on my PS do i have to include things i will be doing in my gap year or can i apply with the same PS? as in, i dont really have anything planned for summer ie work experience or any sort of extra curricular and i cant see that being possible tbh so i wont have much to add to the PS itself apart from the grades i achieved. im assuming that merely talking about my plans for the gap year would be sort of pointless since it would be pure speculation (they have no real reason to believe i will follow through with any plans).

im sorry , this has turned to be a very convoluted post but i would be so appreciative if you could lend me some advice on this matter.

thanks a lot.

You don't have to include gap year plans on your PS, but it would be a good idea to do so if you have anything worth adding. If you don't really have any plans at this stage then it's going to be hard to talk about it but you might have a better idea of what you want to do with the time when you come to write your PS.

You can apply with exactly the same PS as you've used before if you really want, but it would be a good idea to update it slightly :yes:
Reply 15
I don't know, sorry. That's more of an A levels issue than an applications issue. You may get a better response in the A levels forum
:smile:

You don't have to include gap year plans on your PS, but it would be a good idea to do so if you have anything worth adding. If you don't really have any plans at this stage then it's going to be hard to talk about it but you might have a better idea of what you want to do with the time when you come to write your PS.

You can apply with exactly the same PS as you've used before if you really want, but it would be a good idea to update it slightly :yes:

yeah I may find some inspiration to do something by then, hopefully!

thanks a lot, you'll probably be hearing me again closer to the future lol.
Reply 16
History Edexcel and Maths C4 to be exact.. what is my life?!
Are postgrad offers allowed in this thread?
Original post by IrrationalNumber
Are postgrad offers allowed in this thread?

I don't see why not but you may find the Postgraduate forum more use if you have any particular concerns :smile:
I don't see why not but you may find the Postgraduate forum more use if you have any particular concerns :smile:

Actually, I just want a place to vent.

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending