The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by hslakaal
Just to help out a bit (I applied, got pooled, then got rejected :frown: meh. King's it is for me :biggrin: ):

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section2/2_6.html
Scroll down to "Overseas Students"

If I may make a recommendation, applying to Group II may help. There is one more place available for overseas students in group II than in Group one (for the explanation, read through the paragraph)

Basically speaking, you will be considered with other applicants within your own group. Only during pooling will you be compared across all other groups. So your college choice won't really matter as much as your Group choice will.

Just throwing my two cents out there. :smile:

Oh, thanks. :smile: hmm this is quite favourable since i was hoping to apply at Downing..
Reply 1001
Hey guys, one quick question. After you are accepted into a medical school do they ask you to get all your document's certified(even if you gave them original transcripts)? So like the following:

1) highschool transcript
2) university transcript
3) passport
4) financial information to demonstrate that you are able to fund your studies.
Reply 1002
Original post by nivea
Hey guys, one quick question. After you are accepted into a medical school do they ask you to get all your document's certified(even if you gave them original transcripts)? So like the following:

1) highschool transcript
2) university transcript
3) passport

That is dependant on the university. You should contact the universities directly to confirm. However, proof of ID is normally required during registration and financial information too, if you are applying for funding.
Reply 1003
Original post by nivea

1) highschool transcript
2) university transcript
3) passport

I don't think you should give out original certificates in case they misplace it. From my own experience, sending them certified true copies of my certificates was sufficient for the offer to turn unconditional.
Original post by Ergo
I don't think you should give out original certificates in case they misplace it. From my own experience, sending them certified true copies of my certificates was sufficient for the offer to turn unconditional.

Ergo! So which school did you pick in the end? :smile:
Reply 1005
Original post by Metastasis
Ergo! So which school did you pick in the end? :smile:

Going to NUS :colondollar: Oh well, can still go to UK for my electives
Original post by Ergo
Going to NUS :colondollar: Oh well, can still go to UK for my electives

Congrats! NUS didn't give me a second interview lol.

I haven't taken it yet. They're still debating on whether Singaporean students need to take it or not... Till then, lol. All the best for NTU!

I'll be taking mine next Saturday, hopefully all goes well.

I hope they reach a decision soon for you(and that it turns out to be a no). If it turns out that you need the IELTs, kind of a rush to book the test as most of the test dates are full already.
Original post by llamelvin

I'll be taking mine next Saturday, hopefully all goes well.

I hope they reach a decision soon for you(and that it turns out to be a no). If it turns out that you need the IELTs, kind of a rush to book the test as most of the test dates are full already.

It's waived for me :smile: All the best for yours!
Reply 1008
Forgive me for posting in the middle of the thread, but do any UK graduate entry programs accept the MCAT instead of the UKCAT/BMAT for international students?
Reply 1009
Original post by bc2m
Forgive me for posting in the middle of the thread, but do any UK graduate entry programs accept the MCAT instead of the UKCAT/BMAT for international students?

I think Warwick does but I'm not 100%, most don't though because they look at the UKCAT
Reply 1010
Original post by .eXe
I think Warwick does but I'm not 100%, most don't though because they look at the UKCAT

Interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.
It's waived for me :smile: All the best for yours!

Heh thanks. I must say it was a lot easier than expected. I just hope the results are good too lol.

Maybe I should email them asking to waive mine too, then I need not worry about any section falling short of the 7 band lol.
Heh thanks. I must say it was a lot easier than expected. I just hope the results are good too lol.

Maybe I should email them asking to waive mine too, then I need not worry about any section falling short of the 7 band lol.

Don't think you will fall short! I heard it's really easy haha you'll do fine. So Glasgow for you?
Don't think you will fall short! I heard it's really easy haha you'll do fine. So Glasgow for you?

Yeap. I think I'd like the course better there. I'm more of an independent learner so I think I'll be able to cope with the PBL orientated course.

What made you decide on Newcastle btw?
Yeap. I think I'd like the course better there. I'm more of an independent learner so I think I'll be able to cope with the PBL orientated course.

What made you decide on Newcastle btw?

Pragmatically, it's cheap(er compared to Aberdeen). Also, Newcastle's a diverse city with a lot of students and I liked it when I was there. The course is more lecture-based so I think I will be able to cope with that? PBL is not really independent but more of working in a group to exchange ideas etc. , so hopefully you have good group members :smile:
Pragmatically, it's cheap(er compared to Aberdeen). Also, Newcastle's a diverse city with a lot of students and I liked it when I was there. The course is more lecture-based so I think I will be able to cope with that? PBL is not really independent but more of working in a group to exchange ideas etc. , so hopefully you have good group members :smile:

Listening: 8.5
Reading: 8.5
Writing: 8.5
Speaking: 7.0
Overall: 8.0
Looks like I just scrapped my speaking sadly. But that being said I've fulfilled all my conditions, just need to send all my results over.

I didn't know you went overseas for your interviews, thought you'd have gone for the regional interviews in SG/Msia lol.

Glasgow(flat fee) is effectively S$44k more expensive then Newcastle(pre-clinical/clinical) in school fees the last I checked. Hopefully the pound doesn't rise much over the next six years, if not the pinch will be even harder. How are you funding your degree btw, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 1016
Listening: 8.5
Reading: 8.5
Writing: 8.5
Speaking: 7.0
Overall: 8.0

These are your IELTS scores? If yes, well done! How did you score so high -practice, expert techniques? Was it your first time?

I did my IELTS first time last month and got an overall 7.0 band score - not very good.
Reply 1017
Original post by M Kh
These are your IELTS scores? If yes, well done! How did you score so high -practice, expert techniques? Was it your first time?

I did my IELTS first time last month and got an overall 7.0 band score - not very good.

Is IELTS the English language test? Do UK schools require it for some internationals?
Reply 1018
Original post by .eXe
Is IELTS the English language test? Do UK schools require it for some internationals?

Yes, here's a link you might find helpful: http://www.ielts.org/

Yes, I believe they require it.
Original post by .eXe

Some unis require it if you didn't come from an English-major country (and if you didn't formally study English)

For example, I did GCSE Egnlish, so I'm fine, but if you didn't, TOEFL can be a substitute for doing IELTS more often than not.

Quick Reply

Latest