The Student Room Group

Spitting blood every time i brush my teeth

As the title says, everytime i brush my teeth i spit blood out when i rinse. I've done this for quite a long time now but i've saw the advert about it not being good on the t.v so now i'm quite worried :frown:

Are there any things i can do first before i go to the dentist? I'd rather the dentist was a last resort as its so expensive and i don't get any help with the costs :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It would be better to go and see the dentist, it might be expensive but gum disease can be a painful bugger if you have it. In the mean time try using some non-alcohol antibacterial mouthwash after brushing.

It could also be something as simple as you have soft gums and your tooth brush is too abrasive...try getting one with a softer head and see what happens?
(edited 11 years ago)
You probably have a wound in your mouth? Try rubbing lime over our gums. You probably have gum problems. You brush twice a day?
Reply 3
most likely gum disease, it happened to me when i had it ... brush more and it goes away :smile:
Reply 4
I've just brushed my teeth and as predicted the toothpaste i spat out was a pinky colour from the blood, i can't see where the bloods coming from though! :s-smilie:

I have nice teeth which leads me to think it may be something to do with my gums. Someone mentioned flossing can help? Anyone noticed that?

Dentist may be the best option as i don't want to look back and regret not getting it looked at!
Reply 5
Are you using a knife to brush your teeth?
Reply 6
Yeah, reading the symptoms of gum disease (Swollen gums - my gum is swollen atm, Ulcers - I get them sometimes, and obviously blood) it does sound like this :'(
Can I get rid of it, the word 'disease' is what makes it sound scary
Reply 7
Or you just haven't been brushing your teeth well recently. Bleeding sometimes means that you're finally doing it right.
Reply 8
It'll be gingivitis, pretty much everyone has it in varying severities according to a friend who is a qualified dental nurse.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
As the title says, everytime i brush my teeth i spit blood out when i rinse. I've done this for quite a long time now but i've saw the advert about it not being good on the t.v so now i'm quite worried :frown:

Are there any things i can do first before i go to the dentist? I'd rather the dentist was a last resort as its so expensive and i don't get any help with the costs :frown:

This sometimes happened to me, get a smaller headed toothbrush, it helps :smile: but if the problem carrys on >>>> dentist :biggrin:
Reply 10
you probably have a vitamin C deficiency which may lead to bloody gums. try taking supplements.

on the other hand you're probably using a hard bristle toothbrush.
Reply 11
Mild bleeding when brushing your teeth can be normal if you have sensitive gums or if you have tartar. However, you can't know for sure by yourself, so it is important to make an appointment with a dentist and get it checked out.

Until then, you might want to try using a mouthwash designed for treating gum disease (i.e. Corsodyl), but remember this is not a replacement for a trip to the dentist.
Reply 12
It used to happen a lot to me, I used to get worried and stop brushing everydya when blood started to come out. But, it is usually sorted by brushig 2 times a day. It is usually caused by damaged gums.
Continue to brush over the regions that are bleeding, if you miss out the swollen parts, it'll go worse.

When you're brushing make sure you're brushing the margin between the teeth and gum as well as the actual gums.

If you can try to floss (floss sticks are easy to use), even if it's every other day. Good basic oral hygiene will help to keep your gums nice and healthy.

Maybe try and get some Corsodyl to help with keeping your gums healthy.

Other tips:
- Brush at least twice a day using a toothpaste with at least 1,350ppm fluroide, with one of the times being just before you sleep at night.
- When brushing, do not rinse out the remaining toothpaste, just spit it out and wipe your mouth with a tissue.
- Use mouthwash if you can with at least 0.05% fluoride content.
- Start flossing.
- Reduce the frequency at which you consume sugar throughout the day, to no more than 4 times a day. It's better to eat 50g of sugar at once, rather than 5g of sugar 10x throughout the day.
(edited 11 years ago)

basically, you have got signs of gum disease which is not good, but can be treated.

Heres what you need to do. You need to firstly start brushing your teeth properly and regularly. thsi is gonna sound nasty and painful; but trust me it does not hurt! you need to brush your teeth as if your scrubing floors to make your gums bleed in order to get all that blood out of your gums as they are soar and puffy.

You need to also need to use some: floss, mouth wash and most importantly, corsydyl.

I suggest you also see your dentist as well and get a good scale and polish clean up by a hygenist.

How I know these things? I have the American mentality of taking care of teeth (probably because its my second home) and I have a cousin who is a dentist who has given her brother this information.

Hope you get it sorted!
Reply 15
Original post by bluemax
you probably have a vitamin C deficiency which may lead to bloody gums. try taking supplements.

A large enough vitamin C deficiency to lead to bleeding gums would imply scurvy. Which seems incredibly far fetched.
Reply 16

I'd get the mouthwash which prevents gum disease, can't for the life of me remember what its called right now but it's really good.
Original post by heyAmy
I'd get the mouthwash which prevents gum disease, can't for the life of me remember what its called right now but it's really good.

During my work shadowing at a dental hospital, I came across a patient who had aggressive periodontal (gum) disease. She had a very deep and thorough scale and polish and her gums were flushed with chlorohexidine i.e. the ingredient in mouthwashes such as Cordysol. This helps prevent bacterial infection when you've got open cuts due brushing with swollen gums.

Are you talking about Cordysol?
Reply 18
start flossing and using corsodyl, it will be gone in no time.
Brushing too hard can cause that. I had bleeding gums and I remembered at school in year 5 they told us if our gums bled it was because there was plaque there that needed to be removed so we should keep brushing. The more it bled the more I brushed and when I went to the dentist she said I had gum damage from brushing.

Latest