The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Feminism!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by VaVe
He pleaded no contest, if he doesn't put up a defence against the charge then there is no reason to doubt the woman.

Lol at this absolutely retarded logic.

What is this, I don't even.... :facepalm:
Reply 501
Original post by Ultimate1
Lol at this absolutely retarded logic.

What is this, I don't even.... :facepalm:

If someone accuses you of something that you haven't done then at some point, in your defence it's generally accepted that you will deny doing it. Yes he may have been pressured into that plea by his lawyer to get a better deal and I accept that.
However, you make it sound like she accused him of rape and he was thrown in jail without any chance to defend himself based solely on her word. Yes it is wrong that she falsely accused him but he didn't plead not guilty which has the effect to anyone determining his guilt of making it sound like he did it. No justice system is infallible and occasionally people get found guilty of stuff they didn't do.
Oh yes, let's look at the latest facade that feminism has brought us:

http://www.telegram.com/article/20120525/NEWS/105259604/1052

Absolutely disgusting that this guy had a future career in NFL/university education snatched off of him because of a false accusation. The girl should get 10 years in jail and be ordered to pay back the lawsuit money she received.

Oh yes, everyone let's rejoice at what feminism has brought us to; to take a woman's word as a fact, even if it has no evidence whatsoever.

No there shouldn't be, likewise the same for a male in an 80% female workplace. For work, it should be based solely on someone's experience/qualification/what the employer wants, gender should not be taken into account.

Similar links have been posted throughout the thread and I don't see what false rape claims have to do with feminism. How would you solve this problem anyway? If a woman claimed she was raped (for example by her spouse) what standard of evidence would you require?
Reply 503
Original post by VaVe
If someone accuses you of something that you haven't done then at some point, in your defence it's generally accepted that you will deny doing it. Yes he may have been pressured into that plea by his lawyer to get a better deal and I accept that.
However, you make it sound like she accused him of rape and he was thrown in jail without any chance to defend himself based solely on her word. Yes it is wrong that she falsely accused him but he didn't plead not guilty which has the effect to anyone determining his guilt of making it sound like he did it. No justice system is infallible and occasionally people get found guilty of stuff they didn't do.

Lol cannot believe that you are trying to justify the uphill battle he struggled if he decided to not plead guilty and defend himself, solely because of a girl's word which had no evidence to it. Just shows what feminism has achieved.

The odds were so hugely stacked against him, because of a girl's word that it was better for him to serve five years than to serve 41 years in prison if he was found guilty (Which was extremely likely). The lawyer is not stupid to suggest to him that it is better to plead guilty as opposed to pleading not guilty. And as you have just seen, he was not guilty, yet still pleaded guilty because he had no choice. The justice system needs an overhaul, if any other case came up with only a testimony and no evidence it wouldn't have even made it to the court.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 504
Original post by When you see it...
Similar links have been posted throughout the thread and I don't see what false rape claims have to do with feminism. How would you solve this problem anyway? If a woman claimed she was raped (for example by her spouse) what standard of evidence would you require?

Sorry I don't read red. Obvious troll is obvious. You're seriously asking me what false rape claims have to do with feminism? :facepalm:
Original post by whatsername2009
I can kind of see what you're trying to say, but I can't help but feel that when it comes to unplanned pregnancy, making people 'face the consequences of their actions' ultimately makes pregnancy the punishment for whatever accidents and bad decisions were the cause of it. And in practical terms it would be very difficult to establish whether contraception had been used or not.

I don't really see it as a punishment, more as a common-sensical consequence. I'm not saying that we should have some authority which only lets women have abortions if either it can be proven that contraception was used o her spouse agrees. I actually don't think abortion should be illegal at all, I just think we need better sex education etc. Maybe I'm being optimistic about how people would respond to that though...
Feminism is just about trying to get more rights for women than for men. It is entirely hypocritical.

/thread
Sorry I don't read red. Obvious troll is obvious. You're seriously asking me what false rape claims have to do with feminism? :facepalm:

erm... yes I am. It seems like a pretty far-fetched link to me. Also, I'm not a troll, tsr just can't handle me.
Original post by vedderfan94
Feminism is just about trying to get more rights for women than for men. It is entirely hypocritical.

/thread

What a stupid sweeping statement.
Reply 509
erm... yes I am. It seems like a pretty far-fetched link to me. Also, I'm not a troll, tsr just can't handle me.

As your user name says; when you see it, you can tell it's a troll.
As your user name says; when you see it, you can tell it's a troll.

Red bars you mean? Generally I would agree (ironically), but I get negs for stupid reasons.
Original post by VaVe

It's funny, isn't it, that you're trying to blame the man for what went wrong. "It's his fault for not pleading 'not guilty'!", you say. I would bet any amount of money that if the genders were reversed, you would blame society for placing the victim (who, in this case, would be female) in a position where she's better off pleading 'no contest' than 'not guilty' for a crime she didn't commit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 512
Red bars you mean? Generally I would agree (ironically), but I get negs for stupid reasons.

Well someone who posts this cannot be taken seriously in a discussion about feminism :

I know that it is subjective. There is no way of proving this as it is all down to perspective and interpretation. There is also no definition of 'intelligence' really. However, in my opinion, based on what I have observed of people's behaviour, women seem more intelligent than men. It doesn't really matter because even if there is a diffference, intelligence is not determined by gender as there are intelligent guys and less intelligent girls. If there isn't a difference, the fact that they are paid less is still wrong. Even if men were more intelligent, there shouldn't be a gap in how much people from each gender are paid (IMO of course, because you cannot control how intelligent you are and, if anything, income should be based on hard work although that is not really feasible). Ignore the intelligence bit, I just intended it to be banter. (I am male myself, so I definitely don't think of men as stupid and don't judge intelligence on gender at all).
EDIT: spelling...
ANOTHER EDIT: This post was negged a lot - can anyone tell me why?

lulz were had that day.
Reply 513
Original post by electriic_ink
It's funny, isn't it, that you're trying to blame the man for what went wrong. "It's his fault for not pleading 'not guilty'!", you say. I would bet any amount of money that if the genders were reversed, you would blame society for placing the victim (who, in this case, would be female) in a position where she's better off pleading no contest than not guilty for a crime she didn't commit.

Lol, never in doubt if the roles were reversed she would be the first one on here complaining about how the man should be sentenced to death, but because it doesn't suit her agenda, she isn't going to do the same in this case.
Well someone who posts this cannot be taken seriously in a discussion about feminism :

lulz were had that day.

Care to respond to my second edit - what exactly was wrong with that post? Also, I deliberately adopted a light-hearted rhetoric, that doesn't mean you shouldn't take what I say seriously.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 515
Care to respond to my second edit - what exactly was wrong with that post. Also, I deliberately adopted a light-hearted rhetoric, that doesn't mean you shouldn't take what I say seriously.

Amongst a host of lulz worthy quotes, this one takes the cake:

Even if men were more intelligent, there shouldn't be a gap in how much people from each gender are paid

:rofl:
Amongst a host of lulz worthy quotes, this one takes the cake:

:rofl:

You mean you disagree? I don't think intelligent people should be payed more. What happened to equality? Or at least equality of opportunity.
Reply 517
You mean you disagree? I don't think intelligent people should be payed more. What happened to equality? Or at least equality of opportunity.

Generally, the more intelligent of people will also input more at work/faced with more tougher tasks at work.

If you mean that someone who is intelligent is paid more than someone who is not as intelligent for exactly the same job, then I agree with you [But lettuce beef realtea, I don't think this situation ever arises]
Generally, the more intelligent of people will also input more at work/faced with more tougher tasks at work.

If you mean that someone who is intelligent is paid more than someone who is not as intelligent for exactly the same job, then I agree with you [But lettuce beef realtea, I don't think this situation ever arises]

Okay fair enough. I do disagree though, because if intelligent people are working harder, then the intelligence is no longer a factor is it? So it again comes back to not judging on intelligence.
What else do you find so utterly hilarious about the post you quoted and I shall try to explain my stance?
I know that it is subjective. There is no way of proving this as it is all down to perspective and interpretation. There is also no definition of 'intelligence' really. However, in my opinion, based on what I have observed of people's behaviour, women seem more intelligent than men. It doesn't really matter because even if there is a diffference, intelligence is not determined by gender as there are intelligent guys and less intelligent girls. If there isn't a difference, the fact that they are paid less is still wrong. Even if men were more intelligent, there shouldn't be a gap in how much people from each gender are paid (IMO of course, because you cannot control how intelligent you are and, if anything, income should be based on hard work although that is not really feasible). Ignore the intelligence bit, I just intended it to be banter. (I am male myself, so I definitely don't think of men as stupid and don't judge intelligence on gender at all).
EDIT: spelling...
ANOTHER EDIT: This post was negged a lot - can anyone tell me why?

What about the argument generally earn less than men because of when they have a child, which sets them back at the bottom of the money ladder again. Equal pay acts and anti discrimination acts have been enforced to prevent women of the same skill/ experience as men being paid less.

Latest

Trending

Trending