The Student Room Group

How would I go about doing a new A-level?

I've just finished my second year of BSc Geography, and to cut a long story short, I need to do another A-level to continue proceeding with my RAF Officer Application as they've changed the entry requirements. What would be the best way to go about studying for an A-level in Geography in my spare time, eg, OU or through a local school?
I'm doing this at the moment with Geography. I worked for 5 years after dropping out of college and realised that I wanted to go back and actually get some A-Levels this time. Geography is among the subjects that I am taking. What I did is the following:

1. Went to my local college that I used to attend and asked if I could sit AS/A level exams as an external candidate.

2. Had a look at the Geography specification for my chosen exam board (OCR) and purchased the appropriate text book.

3. I then bought the AS/A level course from the NEC which consists of a couple of folders which are compiled in such a way that is tailored to the specification. I only really did this for extra material to aid my learning, I haven't sent work off to tutors that are assigned etc. (You could conceivably look at the specification and source all of the materials yourself in preparation for an exam).

4. I have been studying at home and am currently taking the exams at my local college. I have one Geography exam left on Wednesday.

If you just need to get another A-Level then this could be more accessible than you think. You just need to make sure that you can register yourself somewhere to take the examinations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending