The Student Room Group

Cambridge Theology Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge to study theology this September. I am very unsure as to my suitability for the course. I have always been very interested in religion and it definitely is something that I enjoy looking at. But my main concern is really that the course is more geared towards Christians and Atheists while I am a Muslim. From people studying the course, are there many non-christians and non-atheists that study it? Are there any Muslims on the course?

I have a few more questions but I can't remember them right now. Will ask later! :biggrin:
Reply 121
Have a look here. It's not all about or done by Christians and Atheists... Besides, surely you take the course because you want to learn about all faiths? If not, then this is not the course for you.
Original post by mevidek
Have a look here. It's not all about or done by Christians and Atheists... Besides, surely you take the course because you want to learn about all faiths? If not, then this is not the course for you.

Ah, thanks for the link. Really helped. Yeah I do want to learn about all faiths, especially the smaller ones. I'm interested in quite a few small religions like Baha'i and Alevi's but also in the factional nature of major religions like Christianity and Islam. The impression i got was the course was more leaning towards Christianity but from the link you provided I can better see that you can take options to make the course more comparative in nature.

Do you study theology at Cambridge? Can you recommend other places to apply to for it?
Reply 123
Original post by OneTimer
Ah, thanks for the link. Really helped. Yeah I do want to learn about all faiths, especially the smaller ones. I'm interested in quite a few small religions like Baha'i and Alevi's but also in the factional nature of major religions like Christianity and Islam. The impression i got was the course was more leaning towards Christianity but from the link you provided I can better see that you can take options to make the course more comparative in nature.

Do you study theology at Cambridge? Can you recommend other places to apply to for it?

No I don't, I'm only just getting into Sixth Form this summer :tongue:

My dream is, however, to read history or classics in Cambridge... Theology's like my third favourite subject, so I might end up doing it. I just saw your post and you seemed to be quite mistaken about what the theology course was about, so I felt like I needed to tell you :smile:

Glad to help!
I did theology initially (for one year) but then switched. It's actually a very good course for the most part. The course does lean a bit more towards Christianity than other religions, but not significantly. None of the papers I did, with the semi-exception of philosophy, were directly "Christian"; the Old Testament paper is taught from a historical-sociological rather than a methodologically "religious" perspective. If you do the sociology course in the first year there'll be a lot of stuff that you'd like (that was my favourite part), because there's a focus on case studies of sects of the larger religions and on smaller religious movements.

There were plenty of Muslims who took the course and the Islam options are (I think) very well taught (by a Muslim scholar, no less, rather than the orientalists you usually find).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sabbatai Zevi
I did theology initially (for one year) but then switched. It's actually a very good course for the most part. The course does lean a bit more towards Christianity than other religions, but not significantly. None of the papers I did, with the semi-exception of philosophy, were directly "Christian"; the Old Testament paper is taught from a historical-sociological rather than a methodologically "religious" perspective. If you do the sociology course in the first year there'll be a lot of stuff that you'd like (that was my favourite part), because there's a focus on case studies of sects of the larger religions and on smaller religious movements.

There were plenty of Muslims who took the course and the Islam options are (I think) very well taught (by a Muslim scholar, no less, rather than the orientalists you usually find).

Ah right, that's really interesting. I do quite like the course. I think the scholar who teaches the Islam courses is Tim Winter (aka Abdel Hakim Murad).

What course did you change to after the first year?
It is Tim Winter yes (though they do get visiting scholars in as well sometimes). I switched to PPS -- specifically, Politics -- mainly because the sociology paper in theology piqued my interest in the social sciences, rather than any problem with the TRS course itself.
Original post by Sabbatai Zevi
It is Tim Winter yes (though they do get visiting scholars in as well sometimes). I switched to PPS -- specifically, Politics -- mainly because the sociology paper in theology piqued my interest in the social sciences, rather than any problem with the TRS course itself.

Oh right, is it actually easy to changes tripos after the first year?
Well, the way it happened for me was that I had an initial chat with the PPS DoS, then did an essay for him, after which he said he'd let me switch as long as I got an upper 2:1 in the exams and specifically over 68% in the philosophy paper which apparently was the most relevant for politics. I ended up getting a marginal first, so that was fine (but it certainly didn't help me that he told me his "offer" a couple of days before my exams :P). Really it'll depend on what subject you want to switch to, and what the relevant people at your College feel about letting people switch, since ultimately they have to decide whether their subject would be worthwhile for you.
Christ this thread is neglected as ****.

Offer holders - what language are you selecting to do?
Reply 130
Just a little thread in case anyone else, like me, has applied for Theology at Cambridge and hasn't been able to see a thread on it.

Comment with what subjects you're doing (or have done if applying post-A-Level), what college you've applied for, and how you think your interviews went.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending