The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Some advice for freshers next year...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kachun
Anyone know if Cripps Hall single study rooms have a wash basin or not?

They do! I live in one!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by ha7493
I just got placed into Lenton and Wortley too! I hope it's quite lively!

It's a great hall to be in. The Warden is a total boss - he's scottish, a black belt in Judo and is really lovely. We do formals throughout the year where you dress up a bit... and he hosts wine and cheese evenings for different blocks throughout the year.

It's fairly lively yes, mainly because it was full of jack will's wearing dickheads revelling in their own self-defined perfection :rolleyes:.

Oh btw, a good tip to remember... if you want to go to the Portland building (the main one) cutting through Huw Stewart is quicker than walking over the downs.
Original post by Sandra1993
They do! I live in one!

HEY
Whats Cripp's like? has it got a nice common area? food any good?
Original post by Butterwouldntmelt
HEY

On campus 14 cripps hall looked great, although I was wasted.

Can't speak about the food though
Original post by 31415926535
On campus 14 cripps hall looked great, although I was wasted.

Can't speak about the food though

Haha thanx for that :smile: you were dead helpful
Original post by Butterwouldntmelt
HEY

its a nice hall! It has the best rooms. The common room is huge, and has sky tv and a playstation. The food just depends on the meals but its the same as any hall.
its a nice hall! It has the best rooms. The common room is huge, and has sky tv and a playstation. The food just depends on the meals but its the same as any hall.

Ancy has sky and a playstation too... Can't speak for the rest though.

Thats Ace! thanks for sharing!
I'm in cavendish at the moment, and wouldn't change it for the world because of the people i've met, you will have a great time wherever you're put. BUT I would agree that we're a bit ripped off with the en-suite situation. It's hard to work out what that extra grand is paying for. I do disagree with a lot that the original poster said though. Yes the rooms aren't huge, but they're plenty big enough to live in comfortably, mine's just as big as my room at home. The bed is a single bed but it's perfectly comfortable. Also there's nothing wrong with the showers, they're really powerful and there's hot water 100% of the time, and I've never got the feeling that i'm cramped, there's plenty of room. On the facilities, we have no less facilities than any other hall, we've got sky tv, a pool table, table football, table tennis, kitchens everywhere, what more could you want? I can't speak for Ancaster, but if you've got into cavendish don't worry, it's a great hall and you will have an amazing year.
Reply 109
Original post by karateworm
It's a great hall to be in. The Warden is a total boss - he's scottish, a black belt in Judo and is really lovely. We do formals throughout the year where you dress up a bit... and he hosts wine and cheese evenings for different blocks throughout the year.

It's fairly lively yes, mainly because it was full of jack will's wearing dickheads revelling in their own self-defined perfection :rolleyes:.

Oh btw, a good tip to remember... if you want to go to the Portland building (the main one) cutting through Huw Stewart is quicker than walking over the downs.

Haha thanks! Yeah I was worried that it may have been a bit further out but i'm sure it's all good!
Reply 110
Just got into St Peters Court :smile: Not my first choice but it seems nice from the website. Anyone know what it's like? (sorry if this has already been asked!)
Original post by chris_mkdfc
I'm in cavendish at the moment, and wouldn't change it for the world because of the people i've met, you will have a great time wherever you're put. BUT I would agree that we're a bit ripped off with the en-suite situation. It's hard to work out what that extra grand is paying for. I do disagree with a lot that the original poster said though. Yes the rooms aren't huge, but they're plenty big enough to live in comfortably, mine's just as big as my room at home. The bed is a single bed but it's perfectly comfortable. Also there's nothing wrong with the showers, they're really powerful and there's hot water 100% of the time, and I've never got the feeling that i'm cramped, there's plenty of room. On the facilities, we have no less facilities than any other hall, we've got sky tv, a pool table, table football, table tennis, kitchens everywhere, what more could you want? I can't speak for Ancaster, but if you've got into cavendish don't worry, it's a great hall and you will have an amazing year.

So I shouldn't regret applying for an en-suit then?
Reply 112
How's Single study at Lincoln compared to the other halls?
and what are the pros and cons about the hall itself
I've yet to meet anyone who has a real problem with living in halls on campus. The people who have 'issues' really have issue with who they are surrounded by in halls. In fact everyone I've met so far, living off campus, in some way or another expresses their regret at not being on campus. In terms of social happenings, on campus is where it is at. Not to mention your lectures will be moments away. Obviously it is down to personal preferences, but seriously whichever halls you get put in. 9 times out of 10 you'll come near to the end of your year, and like me wish you could press the restart button and enjoy it all over again. You'll have a great time and stressing over rooms is such a waste of time and energy.
Reply 114
Anyone in Sherwood Hall? I just accepted my offer but can't find much info! Pretty happy I'm living on campus though :awesome:
Hi everyone :smile: a few tips from my first year:
1. dont buy cheap bin bags, SERIOUSLY
2. £1 change is like gold dust
3. stay away from the londis man in BGP
4. try and make friends with everyone, at least one person from each hall
5. go rowing on the lake when its sunny sometime. its MAGICAL :biggrin:
6. go to all freshers events, even if you cant, go anywya :biggrin:
7. buy a UoN hoody to fit in.
8. pick one society that you can get involved in quite deeply
9. if you only eat the cheapest food (tesco value) then it starts tasting quite nice
10. you will always pull in forum
11. dont be afraid of ocean
12. go to bluebells for cheap yagerbombs (£1 with student ID)
13. avoid the geese on campus
14. DONT buy many books, i hardly used any of mine.
15. keep all your lec notes organised, youll be so thankful at the end of the year
16. walk home from rock city at least once in your life
17. for fancy dress go to primark!
18. dont ever lose your friends in gatecrasher. youll never find them again.
19. everyone on campus will be jealous of self catered. just accept it.
20. you need a good alarm clock. trust me.
21. register with the cripps health clinic early, but not too early (avoid the ques of freshers week but dont wait until you've actually become ill)
22. if you have a bike, bring it. everyone rides bikes
23. get a student rail card
24. smile at everyone!
25. uni walls are so boring, so use some websites (photofish etc) to get 40 free prints sent to you. then do it again with a different email. and again, and again and again. but taking them down after year 1 is a pain!
26. GO TO THE VARSITY ICE HOCKEY. trust me

Hope those will help out somebody, I know some of those tips are absolutely crap... :biggrin:
Okay just read the actual first post, thought I'd comment on what I've seen from my experiences.

1. I live in en-suite, but in broadgate park. en-suite was worth every penny. there just is something nice about having your own bathroom and shower. im so glad I did it. but top tip: dont drink the water from the bathroom taps. ew.

2. the gym membership has different fees
bronze: £60
silver: £100
gold: £200
which is quite expensive, but you get different things (not sure what they are) for the different level of membership. I've got bronze membership which gives me free acsess to the sports halls and thats all I need.

:smile:
Original post by viewtifuldp
Hi everyone :smile: a few tips from my first year:
1. dont buy cheap bin bags, SERIOUSLY
2. £1 change is like gold dust
3. stay away from the londis man in BGP
4. try and make friends with everyone, at least one person from each hall
5. go rowing on the lake when its sunny sometime. its MAGICAL :biggrin:
6. go to all freshers events, even if you cant, go anywya :biggrin:
7. buy a UoN hoody to fit in.
8. pick one society that you can get involved in quite deeply
9. if you only eat the cheapest food (tesco value) then it starts tasting quite nice
10. you will always pull in forum
11. dont be afraid of ocean
12. go to bluebells for cheap yagerbombs (£1 with student ID)
13. avoid the geese on campus
14. DONT buy many books, i hardly used any of mine.
15. keep all your lec notes organised, youll be so thankful at the end of the year
16. walk home from rock city at least once in your life
17. for fancy dress go to primark!
18. dont ever lose your friends in gatecrasher. youll never find them again.
19. everyone on campus will be jealous of self catered. just accept it.
20. you need a good alarm clock. trust me.
21. register with the cripps health clinic early, but not too early (avoid the ques of freshers week but dont wait until you've actually become ill)
22. if you have a bike, bring it. everyone rides bikes
23. get a student rail card
24. smile at everyone!
25. uni walls are so boring, so use some websites (photofish etc) to get 40 free prints sent to you. then do it again with a different email. and again, and again and again. but taking them down after year 1 is a pain!
26. GO TO THE VARSITY ICE HOCKEY. trust me

Hope those will help out somebody, I know some of those tips are absolutely crap... :biggrin:

All these are excellent points! Especially numbers 3 and 12!!! I've nearly finished my first year in Broadgate Park and can honestly say I would not have chosen to live on campus after my experience. Saying that all my friends on campus feel the same so whatever your choice you will love it!

Have to agree with the OP to a certain extent, the en suites for any halls are a rip off. In BGP the shared bathrooms are 2 per 5 person flat and so much nicer and bigger than the ensuites. Plus you and your flat mates can split costs on certain toiletries which is always a bonus.

BGP is so close to campus it really makes little difference and they have reps there like any other halls so you will never miss out on any of the fun, anyone who says you will has not been living the same place as me.

Ask for the gym, it really isn't bad but at peak times it is a bit of a mare when it comes to the weights! However it has decent facilities and is quite cheap when it is broken down. Shame there's no option to pay monthly but you it does half every term if you wish to join later on in the year.

A last tip would be to leave it a week before you hand in your inventory form! Your parents will probably urge you to complete it straight away but you will most likely end up finding odd things wrong with your room that you don't want to get charged for.
Reply 118
Original post by viewtifuldp
Okay just read the actual first post, thought I'd comment on what I've seen from my experiences.

1. I live in en-suite, but in broadgate park. en-suite was worth every penny. there just is something nice about having your own bathroom and shower. im so glad I did it. but top tip: dont drink the water from the bathroom taps. ew.

2. the gym membership has different fees
bronze: £60
silver: £100
gold: £200
which is quite expensive, but you get different things (not sure what they are) for the different level of membership. I've got bronze membership which gives me free acsess to the sports halls and thats all I need.

:smile:

I'm confused, it says on the website bronze membership is £25, silver's £42.50 and gold's £72.50 :smile:
Original post by rehlein
I'm confused, it says on the website bronze membership is £25, silver's £42.50 and gold's £72.50 :smile:

That is probably if you join now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending