The Student Room Group

EU Mature student - how to prepare?

I'm a mature student (22) from the EU, and I would like to study English starting in 2013. I know my qualifications are not recent enough, and I would like to have a chance to show admissions officers my current abilities. I've been looking at my options, but I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate some advice!

Option 1: A-levels
As I'm an EU national, I would have to rely on distance learning to get A levels. The private colleges I've contacted were all very expensive, but I also read about the National Extension College (http://www.nec.ac.uk/). Does anyone have any experience with distance learning for A levels, and any institutions they would recommend? Is it possible to take 2/3 complete A levels (AS and A) in one year?

Option 2: Open University
I've been looking at Open University courses, and thought that the Certificate of Higher Education in Humanities sounded very interesting. Is this something that universities would consider a good form of preparation?
Another question related to OU study: if I would take a tuition loan to study at the OU for one year, would I still be able to take out a loan for another three years of study at another university? I read somewhere on TSR that it's possible to get a tuition fee loan for 4 years - but does that include study at the OU?

Option 3: Acces to HE??
Am I right in assuming that it is not possible to take this kind of course outside the UK?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions in one post - I'm just not sure which path to choose, and I know I need to make a decision rather soon. All advice would be immensely appreciated! :smile:
there is a foundation course for arts people. no need to go to open, fancier universities do foundation courses.

slightly off the topic, the uk job market is quite tough at the moment.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply! What kind of foundation course do you mean? The only ones I've found thus far were aimed at international students (from outside the EU) rather than mature students - but if you have any suggestions, I'd be very much obliged :smile:
have you googled "foundation courses for eu students"?
"foundation courses in the uk for [enter your country, eg polish students]" should return the results you are after.
the uk is committed to eliminating all discriminations.

edit, try also "[enter a university name] foundation course, eg nottingham university foundation courses."
try the british council as well.
the purpose of foundation programmes is to prepare those with non-uk education or alternative qualifications for degree programmes. i personally dont see why they shouldnt accept eu students. those programmes help students improve their english as well and they are supposed to be fun with a lot of activities.
(edited 11 years ago)
You could also apply for universities who are more flexible when it comes to entry requirements for mature students. I'm at Birkbeck, University of London and if you're a mature student (over 21 years old) you don't need any formal qualifications as they take into account things like work experience as well. You can read more about their BA in English here:

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/ug/englishliterature/UBAENGLF.html
Original post by Clauds
Option 2: Open University
I've been looking at Open University courses, and thought that the Certificate of Higher Education in Humanities sounded very interesting. Is this something that universities would consider a good form of preparation?
Another question related to OU study: if I would take a tuition loan to study at the OU for one year, would I still be able to take out a loan for another three years of study at another university? I read somewhere on TSR that it's possible to get a tuition fee loan for 4 years - but does that include study at the OU?

Hi there,

The problem I had with distance A-levels was that to travel to whichever institute for each exam would just be too expensive. If this isn't a problem for you maybe it's something you could consider?

Most University websites do list OU qualifications as accepted forms of preperation, so I would think that would be a good avenue to take considering the distance problem. (Mind you, I know there are members here who have more experience with the OU than I have, so they should be better able to fill you in.)

Also, when I spoke to the OU they told me that their fee waivers aren't connected to Student Finance England, so any financial aid you receive should not effect your funding for Uni in the future. You might not have to pay the full amount as an EU student anyway (depending on where you're from), so you should check that out.

Personally, I'd contact some admissions tutors and see what they say.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending