The Student Room Group

Durham v Lancaster - physics.

I want to go to Durham - my instinctive feeling - due to the more intensive nature of the course compared to Lancaster, its prestige, beautiful place, and the fact that its reputation is very much fixed and not likely to vary over the next few years… however I have a few concerns:

- the higher propotion of higher class students - not sure whether I would fit in - the formal events.
- After browsing through student room many have said that the physics course is not as good as its reputation suggests, read quite a few things along the lines of ‘regretting making this decision, stuggled through first year’

However regarding this, I am not too sure whether this is likely to be a bias thing to say - in the way that at Durham you will be looking for a deeper, more advanced experience, whereas at Lancaster you do not.

At Lancaster however, I will be given a scholarship about 4 grand, it saves about 3 hours trravel, and generally may feel more comfortable. But I’m in no position to judge and I am not sure that this is a sacrifice worth making - a missed opportunity of being offered to study at such a prestigious uni - however this is where my brain tells me to go.

Then again, putting things into perspective, it is only a physics undergraduate course and so how the physics departments differ at various unis can not have too much influence on you say relative to further research in the future.

Any views…?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly I'd choose Lancaster coz quite simply I get a better feeling about it than Durham. Also I doubt whether one will be preferred to an employer over the other plus I don't think Lancaster's reputation is moving anytime soon; they got the top RAE score for physics in the whole of the UK. That's got to count for something.
They have bursaries at Durham. If your household income is below £25,000, you'll get £3000 a year and if it's above you'll still get some financial assistance.

Be wary of RAE scores, as they are flawed in that they don't require all research to be submitted so differentiating between universities based on research can be a bit tricky. Plus, research doesn't really matter for undergrad.

I was worried about the higher proportion of higher class students (I'm from a working class background myself) but all the students I have asked have said that it's wildly exaggerated. Yes, it does have a higher proportion but you will find them at all top unis and you'll find plenty of people who you like and aren't snobby.

I can't really comment on the physics course because I haven't started it yet but the info on unistats seem to suggest that most enjoy it and there will always be a few who dislike the course at all unis (these are students who are more vocal about their opinion too.)

Prospects for Lancaster graduates aren't as good too (I'm not being biased, just going purely off the graduate employment statistics). I guess Durham does have more of a 'wow' factor.

Go where you think you'd enjoy it more though. I'm just giving you some things to consider before you make the decision.
Reply 3
Original post by vedderfan94
They have bursaries at Durham. If your household income is below £25,000, you'll get £3000 a year and if it's above you'll still get some financial assistance.

Be wary of RAE scores, as they are flawed in that they don't require all research to be submitted so differentiating between universities based on research can be a bit tricky. Plus, research doesn't really matter for undergrad.

I was worried about the higher proportion of higher class students (I'm from a working class background myself) but all the students I have asked have said that it's wildly exaggerated. Yes, it does have a higher proportion but you will find them at all top unis and you'll find plenty of people who you like and aren't snobby.

I can't really comment on the physics course because I haven't started it yet but the info on unistats seem to suggest that most enjoy it and there will always be a few who dislike the course at all unis (these are students who are more vocal about their opinion too.)

Prospects for Lancaster graduates aren't as good too (I'm not being biased, just going purely off the graduate employment statistics). I guess Durham does have more of a 'wow' factor.

Go where you think you'd enjoy it more though. I'm just giving you some things to consider before you make the decision.

Most universities do this bursary scheme you talk of. And I'v just looked, Lancaster has a better package with bursaries in my opinion.

I'd agree with you that research doesn't matter that much at non oxbridge universities. With Oxbridge in your 4th year you will be doing a research project so this is more important than other universities.

And, as for physics, (and I can only speak for physics) Lancaster is held in higher regard than Durham. (Durham being a good all rounder but not very good in any subject).

So in all to the poster, I'd say Lancaster. Durham is too corrupt and has too many dealings with Colonel Gadaffi in my opinion. Its reputation in the city has been somewhat damaged greatly after most of it came out.
Reply 4
Original post by Rennit
Most universities do this bursary scheme you talk of. And I'v just looked, Lancaster has a better package with bursaries in my opinion.

I'd agree with you that research doesn't matter that much at non oxbridge universities. With Oxbridge in your 4th year you will be doing a research project so this is more important than other universities.

And, as for physics, (and I can only speak for physics) Lancaster is held in higher regard than Durham. (Durham being a good all rounder but not very good in any subject).

So in all to the poster, I'd say Lancaster. Durham is too corrupt and has too many dealings with Colonel Gadaffi in my opinion. Its reputation in the city has been somewhat damaged greatly after most of it came out

OK, purely from a neutral standpoint, do you actually know what you are talking about? Because I've been researching universities for next year (physics) and that goes against anything I've ever heard or read...
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd go Durham, sounds better to be fair.
You don't want to go to Durham for the sake of going to Durham - remember that.
Original post by Rennit

So in all to the poster, I'd say Lancaster. Durham is too corrupt and has too many dealings with Colonel Gadaffi in my opinion. Its reputation in the city has been somewhat damaged greatly after most of it came out.

Got any proof of that? Or are you just spouting biased rubbish due to some "Gaddafi dealings" you speak of?
Original post by Rennit

Durham is held in high regard in many of the subjects it teaches, including physics where it stands out in various areas as one of the best institutions in the country. If you're going by league tables then Lancaster does appear very highly for physics, as does Durham - both being in the top 10 in most cases (although I know Lancaster had a massive drop in one this year). League tables are known for being pretty random though, so it's an iffy stance to take. The Gaddafi links were also with LSE, not Durham, although Durham have received some 'research donations' from the middle east (as many high end universities have).

Also, 4th year (or 3rd year on a BSc) will involve a research project at every university, and will most likely be the heaviest weighted module of the degree, that's not specific to Oxbridge, there will of course be variations on what you can do between universities.

Lancaster did have very good bursaries available when I was applying a couple of years ago, I don't know what they have now, but the bursaries for exceeding their offers were very generous, and better than any other universities I looked at, I didn't look at Durham though (although they will offer some).

Both are very good for physics and your employment prospects shouldn't really be better at one than the other, as long as you get yourself some work experience and can be flexible on location for internships and such. Lancaster doesn't quite hold that prestige that Durham does, but don't go to Durham because 'it's Durham', go there because you'll think you'll be happy there. Remember that a 2.1 from Lancaster that you get because you enjoy it, will be better than a 2.2 from Durham because you're not all that happy.
Reply 9
Original post by 117r
OK, purely from a neutral standpoint, do you actually know what you are talking about? Because I've been researching universities for next year (physics) and that goes against anything I've ever heard or read...

Durham is an all round respected University, so you are likely to hear good things about it. Specifically for physics however, Imperial, Oxbridge, UCL, Birmingham, Lancaster are some of the best. ( Durham just wants to imitate Oxbridge )

Alot of misinformation on here. Those of you who were uneducated about the Durham University scandal please turn your eyes to this. http://www.palatinate.org.uk/?p=10679

Yes, Durham is good for physics; but as I said it is not a university that is seen to be oustanding in particulary physics. Lancaster's best department is by far Physics, and this stands out.
Reply 10
Lancaster shouldn't even be mentioned with Oxbridge and Imperial haha. They try too hard. The employment prospects for Lancaster physics department say it all really.
Reply 11
^ Completely correct. I dont know why we've been getting so many negs, we're only saying the truth! Or are all the Lancaster people actually working than looking for anti-durham posts on tsr? -.-
Original post by Rennit
^ Completely correct. I dont know why we've been getting so many negs, we're only saying the truth! Or are all the Lancaster people actually working than looking for anti-durham posts on tsr? -.-

Eh? It looks to me like he was disagreeing with you. That Lancaster is nowhere near the likes of Imperial and Oxbridge overall, and certainly not for physics. I don't understand where you get this "Durham is only good overall" opinion from :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Eh? It looks to me like he was disagreeing with you. That Lancaster is nowhere near the likes of Imperial and Oxbridge overall, and certainly not for physics. I don't understand where you get this "Durham is only good overall" opinion from :s-smilie:

:facepalm2:

Durham loves to think its in the Oxbridge and Imperial league, it attempts to imitate and suck up to them in any way they can. The fact of the matter is, Durham and Lancaster are not Oxbridge, they're quite similar to eachother for physics atleast. The only difference is Lancaster isn't suffering an identity crisis!
Original post by Rennit
:facepalm2:

Durham loves to think its in the Oxbridge and Imperial league, it attempts to imitate and suck up to them in any way they can. The fact of the matter is, Durham and Lancaster are not Oxbridge, they're quite similar to eachother for physics atleast. The only difference is Lancaster isn't suffering an identity crisis!

You still didn't answer my question. I'm not talking about Oxbridge and Imperial "leagues". I'm just talking about the Durham physics department. They are ranked in the top 5 in Europe for Astronomy and are in the top 5 in the UK for physics departments. UK league tables seem to place too much emphasis on student satisfaction ratings (which are deeply flawed) and student:staff ratios, and less on the employment prospects and quality of graduates.
Reply 15
You still didn't answer my question. I'm not talking about Oxbridge and Imperial "leagues". I'm just talking about the Durham physics department. They are ranked in the top 5 in Europe for Astronomy and are in the top 5 in the UK for physics departments. UK league tables seem to place too much emphasis on student satisfaction ratings (which are deeply flawed) and student:staff ratios, and less on the employment prospects and quality of graduates.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html

These rankings are the most respected and trusted imo.

and this is specifically for Europe: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/europe.html

Durham isn't as good as you're making it out to be.
Original post by Rennit
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html

These rankings are the most respected and trusted imo.

and this is specifically for Europe: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/europe.html

Durham isn't as good as you're making it out to be.

Most respected by who? Who determines which tables we should all pay attention to? Are you saying there are tables which aren't flawed? For the international reputation, I think you really need to have a read over this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1980505

Of course I'm not saying that Durham is on the level of Oxbridge (it isn't) but you still haven't provided me with some solid proof of what you are arguing. You are just pulling out deeply flawed league tables.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
If you're planning on continuing with physics and going into research then Lancaster is probably better. A lot of the researchers here are internationally renowned in their field. Lancaster physics is at the top of the RAE tables (inb4 they didn't submit everything, as far as I can tell - they did)

Lancaster does not have the age or historical prestige of (for example) Durham, but it is certainly improving its act and has been consistently in the top ten of league tables for the last three years or so. If Lancaster maintains this standard then it might become better renowned in ten years time.
Reply 18
Most respected by who? Who determines which tables we should all pay attention to? Are you saying there are tables which aren't flawed? For the international reputation, I think you really need to have a read over this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1980505

Of course I'm not saying that Durham is on the level of Oxbridge (it isn't) but you still haven't provided me with some solid proof of what you are arguing. You are just pulling out deeply flawed league tables.

Well, employers more than anything?

The thread you linked bears almost no reinforcement to the points you've made. I think you know you can't win and you're just arguing for an arguments sake. I won't be replying to your next bowl of drivel.
Original post by Rennit
Well, employers more than anything?

The thread you linked bears almost no reinforcement to the points you've made. I think you know you can't win and you're just arguing for an arguments sake. I won't be replying to your next bowl of drivel.

Durham has some of the best employment prospects in the UK. There are other top 10 unis with lower proportion of graduates in employment.

And yes, it does. You are criticising Durham due to the international reputation, and if you actually read that thread you would've seen why it isn't as high on the international tables as it's domestic reputation would suggest.

You are the one who cannot argue your point and you are the one who backs up their argument with university league tables.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending