The Student Room Group

Going to a job you hate?

I just got in from work and I absolutely realised how much I loathe my job.

I am in every way grateful for my job and I really rely on the money but I just can't take this crappy job anymore.

Working in retail sucks, people, whilst some are nice, most are genuinely aggressive, short tempered and just genuinely a pain to deal with and I realised the people at work annoy me for the most part, it's such a nice relief seeing all my friends from college.

I do my job well and I always put in 100% effort but it just makes me depressed even thinking about it, has anybody experienced similar or got any stories to share or even just advice for getting through with it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I had a temp job in a car salesroom once, and I absolutely ****ing hated it. It wasn't really a customer facing role (except when everyone else wandered off and I had to blag that I knew what I was talking about) but the job was boring as sin and my colleague were all complete and utter ********s.

Luckily it was only a temp job and only lasted 6 months, but I couldn't have dealt with it for much longer.

Have you tried applying round for other jobs? Annoyingly, its actually much easier to get a job if you have a job already. Like you say, you are lucky to have a job in this climate, but it doesn't have to be one you hate :smile:
Reply 2
Retail is just crappy in general. I absolutely hate work too, but I do actually like the people I work with. Advice for getting through it would be to find a colleague you like and see if you can do shifts together as time passes more quickly if you can talk to someone. Also just remember you won't be working in retail forever! Oh and I find if I don't look at the clock during shifts they go so much faster and it's the best feeling in the world when you realise you only have half an hour to go :smile: I'm quitting next thursday after 6 months in retail for a gap year job, can't wait!
Reply 3
just think of pay day!!
Yeah, I really hate my job. I work in a coffee shop... it's not what I wanted to go into after graduating with a 2.i in Business & Management (With a focus on Marketing) but meh, what can you do but ride the storm and use the time wisely? It's a good way of making money... and I try and save as much as I can so I can at least have something to show for it.

I sympathise with you about hating having to go in the next day though.... I simply cannot handle doing 12 hour shifts 4 or 5 days in a row. They're a killer :/
Original post by Vohamanah
I had a temp job in a car salesroom once, and I absolutely ****ing hated it. It wasn't really a customer facing role (except when everyone else wandered off and I had to blag that I knew what I was talking about) but the job was boring as sin and my colleague were all complete and utter ********s.

Luckily it was only a temp job and only lasted 6 months, but I couldn't have dealt with it for much longer.

Have you tried applying round for other jobs? Annoyingly, its actually much easier to get a job if you have a job already. Like you say, you are lucky to have a job in this climate, but it doesn't have to be one you hate :smile:

I haven't, I have my exams now and I just feel pretty well settled. When I was looking for a job it took me like a year to find one so I have no hope for finding a new one.

I also wonder if my employer will be angry if somebody phones and asks for a reference and I don't get the job, wouldn't that show I want to quit and them get angry? Or do I let them know before hand.
I'm starting work next week and know that this will be me by the end of the first day.
Reply 7
know the feeling. I always get really bored after a couple of months. I just take one week at a time looking forward to the weekend. That way one month goes by surprisingly fast :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Agenda Suicide
I haven't, I have my exams now and I just feel pretty well settled. When I was looking for a job it took me like a year to find one so I have no hope for finding a new one.

I also wonder if my employer will be angry if somebody phones and asks for a reference and I don't get the job, wouldn't that show I want to quit and them get angry? Or do I let them know before hand.

Its normally easier finding a job when you have a job because employers will see that you are successfully holding down a job at the moment, along with your education, which makes you more attractive to them. Also there is less pressure on you if you already have a job, so you will probably come across a lot better.

They won't ask your current employer for a reference unless they offer you the job :smile: If you're really worried, put "references on request", but most companies will be smart enough to not tip off your current employer, they know you won't tell them you are looking for another job.
Reply 9
Original post by Agenda Suicide
I just got in from work and I absolutely realised how much I loathe my job.

I am in every way grateful for my job and I really rely on the money but I just can't take this crappy job anymore.

Working in retail sucks, people, whilst some are nice, most are genuinely aggressive, short tempered and just genuinely a pain to deal with and I realised the people at work annoy me for the most part, it's such a nice relief seeing all my friends from college.

I do my job well and I always put in 100% effort but it just makes me depressed even thinking about it, has anybody experienced similar or got any stories to share or even just advice for getting through with it?

where do you work? this is surprising to me, i thought retail jobs were the best! lol well i guess i was wrong
Original post by Vohamanah
Its normally easier finding a job when you have a job because employers will see that you are successfully holding down a job at the moment, along with your education, which makes you more attractive to them. Also there is less pressure on you if you already have a job, so you will probably come across a lot better.

They won't ask your current employer for a reference unless they offer you the job :smile: If you're really worried, put "references on request", but most companies will be smart enough to not tip off your current employer, they know you won't tell them you are looking for another job.

Ahhh, thanks that makes a lot of sense and has been really helpful :smile: I feel a bit better because I will look for anothe rjob when exams are over.

And I will bare that in mind, I just thought references were to phone up and ask incase they wanted to interview me to check I'm worth the time.

Original post by AYO
where do you work? this is surprising to me, i thought retail jobs were the best! lol well i guess i was wrong

And no , it's terrible and people tend to have a bad attitude no matter how helpful you are or how much effort you put in.
Reply 11
I hate my retail job too. I work in a department store.. But it's dead alot of the time.

I worked a four hour shift today.. Which is little compared to my 8 hour tomorrow but it felt like 12 hours. It didn't help that the store has no air con and we aren't able to have drinks on the floor or able to leave the floor for a drink.

I dont want half ten tomorrow!
Yep. Just thinking about it depresses me.
Reply 13
I'm the same I suppose. Retail is rubbish. You do get nice people occasionally but its just so boring.Its money at the end of the day.

Quick Reply