The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ahhh, that blog gave me so much nostalgia for that feeling you get when you've just arrived in a new place and you're "discovering" it for yourself and finding out how it all works and what life is really like there...I think that was one of the things that I loved best about my year abroad :smile:
Reply 8421
Who has two thumbs, speaks limited French and now very much regrets listening to that Carly Rae Jepsen song? This moi.

Also, tried to introduce the concept of Eurovision to an American friend. Didn't go down well...
Original post by Zoedotdot
Of course. Those pictures made me cry a little bit :o: I miss Moscow a lot, it was a good city for me.

The pictures make it look amazing. So full of colour! Would love to go one day.

It's been so long since I've gone travelling :frown: Miss it really quite a lot.
Original post by lp386
Who has two thumbs, speaks limited French and now very much regrets listening to that Carly Rae Jepsen song? This moi.

Also, tried to introduce the concept of Eurovision to an American friend. Didn't go down well...

What's the only thing worse than "Call Me Maybe" and Avicii's Levels?

Levels , in case you haven't heard of it (yeah right!)

That's right! It's "Call Me Levels": the mashup! :biggrin:

Reply 8424
Original post by ukebert
The pictures make it look amazing. So full of colour! Would love to go one day.

It's been so long since I've gone travelling :frown: Miss it really quite a lot.

It's so much more vibrant than anyone tells you. Red Square genuinely is a mass of red. The churches are all beautifully colourful too. It's not all grey and blocky. I do have a thing for Soviet architecture anyway, but I think anyone can see the majesty in Moscow. I so badly want to go back now. It's beautiful at this time of year. It's almost a year since I left now actually - a year next week :frown:
Original post by Tortious
What's the only thing worse than "Call Me Maybe" and Avicii's Levels?

Levels , in case you haven't heard of it (yeah right!)

That's right! It's "Call Me Levels": the mashup! :biggrin:

You say 'worse', implying that they're bad songs... :p:

However Levels in reverse is definitely better than normal levels :biggrin: (skip to ~1 min in to get to the good bit)

Original post by Sockpirate
You say 'worse', implying that they're bad songs... :p:

However Levels in reverse is definitely better than normal levels :biggrin: (skip to ~1 min in to get to the good bit)

That's amazing. I love it. :love:
Original post by Zoedotdot
Well yes, of course you can use pinnacle or high point, or apex or zenith or probably many other words. But that's not the point. Sometimes apogee fits better with the flow of the sentence. I don't think it necessarily does obscure, because it depends on the audience you're writing for. Different people have different vocabulary, and where one person might not understand apogee, another might not understand apex. Within certain contexts (ie, an essay or an academic work) it is perfectly acceptable to use apogee.

I know this is a few days old, but still, PRSOM, because I'm about to use apogee in a translation because of you and this post. And that's very exciting. You're helping me be sophisticated. :wink: Might dictionary it a few more times to be sure I'm using it right though :tongue:

SO EXCITED FOR EUROVISION!!!!!
Reply 8428
So my latest payment from work does not include the raise the CEO promised me I'd get in May :eek: What do, Cantabs?
Reply 8429
Original post by Gesar
So my latest payment from work does not include the raise the CEO promised me I'd get in May :eek: What do, Cantabs?

Hold the website hostage with your super-computer powers!
Reply 8430
Original post by Slumpy
Hold the website hostage with your super-computer powers!

Doubly annoying because I worked last Saturday and am working tomorrow and since they're apparently not paying me for those extra days there's no ambiguity about what I was paid for - simply my old salary with no overtime :p: At least if they were paying for the Saturdays I could fool myself into thinking they'd given me the raise...
Original post by Gesar

You got a raise already? :eek: . I recommend bring it up with the billing people first and see if it's a mistake on their part. Then go to the big man.
Original post by Gesar

Threaten to sue for sexual harassment.
Got an open 45 min slot at Caius May Ball if anyone here's a performer? I'm sure I remember someone on this thread is....
Reply 8434
Original post by The West Wing
You got a raise already? :eek: . I recommend bring it up with the billing people first and see if it's a mistake on their part. Then go to the big man.

I thought it was the done thing to get a raise after six months or so, so I asked for one :p: I ended up emailing him and the new payroll woman, pretending to think it had fallen through the gaps in the handover. Seemed to work, I now have it in writing that he'll sort it out for me.

Original post by BigFudamental
Threaten to sue for sexual harassment.

Can't do that twice in one month - people will get suspicious.
Original post by Gesar

Can't do that twice in one month - people will get suspicious.

:awesome:
Reply 8436
Original post by Gesar
I thought it was the done thing to get a raise after six months or so, so I asked for one :p: I ended up emailing him and the new payroll woman, pretending to think it had fallen through the gaps in the handover. Seemed to work, I now have it in writing that he'll sort it out for me.

Cunning approach to getting a raise, I like it...
And I still think more aggression was the way to go:p:
I voted for Turkey :cool:
Reply 8438
I found out that my next door neighbour didn't know what the October Revolution was.

I mean, she's a scientist but... that's awkward, right?
Original post by Leipzig
I found out that my next door neighbour didn't know what the October Revolution was.

I mean, she's a scientist but... that's awkward, right?

Yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending