The Student Room Group

Is it worth going back to university just to get a 2.1.....?

Scroll to see replies

I'd get a masters degree.

It's definitely possible to get a masters with a 2:2. It may not be at a top uni (although as someone said, there are cases where even people with a 2:2 have gone on to do masters at oxbridge). If you have the money do one. Even if it's not at a good as uni as your last one. It will at least give you more skills which could give you an advantage over the bsc/ba graduates (even if they have 2:1s).
Reply 21
Original post by hiding12
yeh I have, I would get one or two exemptions from my degree but the AAT trainee positions I have applied for say I'm overqualified and they normally go or A level students so Im stuck between too overqualified this and underqualified for grad positions.

In that case If I were you I would try and do Levels 2&3 at home/ college whilst still working in your current job, and then look for an Accounts job (being AAT part-qualified seem pretty sought after) and then do Level 4 with them. I've heard Level 4 is pretty difficult, so wouldn't say you were over-qualified for Level 4 as it stands... Once you have that Level 4, companies would offer you ACA/CIMA training. As soon as you start on the AAT course though, hopefully Employers will see your enthusiasm and look past your degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Honestly....

Learn a skill over the internet...
Make sure it is something very few can offer...
Then use it to a gain the attention of employer... a skill is a skill is a skill you know by definition, you have the 2:2 to round you off so to speak should your background even arise...
Reply 23
Original post by Lamps08
Do these countries abroad have their own currencies though?

seriously?? if you didn't know that foreign countries have different currencies this may be why you didn't get a 2:1
Reply 24
Original post by 25095514
seriously?? if you didn't know that foreign countries have different currencies this may be why you didn't get a 2:1

hey I got a 2,2 and I obv know other countries have different currencies, quite important considering I did Economics
Reply 25
Original post by 25095514

just saying it seems pretty strange offering international students a free degree course; considering we charge Intl students a load more... cause we can. Anyway I looked on the web-site and they only seem to offer English Language as a degree haha l
Reply 26
Honestly, I am at my wit's end trying to work out what to do now. Basically, I got a 2.2 in my Economics degree and finding it nigh on impossible to get a job. Before you say, your fault for getting a 2.2, I know it is, I didn't enjoy uni and wasn't very happy and found it incredibly difficult to live with my housemates who were very disrespectful and I kind of let them drag me down, rest of them either dropped out or got 2.2's and joined the army, went abroad etc.

Anyway, I got decent A levels, A in Maths and decent GCSE's, and I seem to have the UCAS points. Obviously Economics is a pretty challenging course and first time round, I found it difficult to apply myself due to everything. But I was thinking of perhaps doing something a bit easier but also applying myself like Business as it seems silly to do the same degree.

I have been trying to get ACA accounting trainee positions and think I could pass, even though it would be tough. I know a lot of people who are older and got 2.2's and are successful but obv in this current job climate, its incredibly difficult.

I am 25 now and graduated in 2008 and have been getting various admin office contracts since without being able to do the ACA. I was wondering if perhaps I should start the exams myself? But that would be even worse if I did the exams and still couldnt get a job, spending 5k in the process. Also, I took CISI banking/stockbroking exams and passed them for 2k and couldn't get a job in that. Obviously you generally need a 2.1 to get on to Masters.

I'm just losing my mind as am currently unemployed after finishing last contract a few weeks ago and literally unable to sleep due to my regrets from uni and worrying about the future. Cheers for any advice

I was in a very similar position to you when I finished uni with a 2:2 in Maths except I had absolutely no relevant experience.

What I did was study the first 3 ACCA modules for 3 months (was around 1k) so I knew what to talk about in interviews. Then I found an office job in a tiny company just so that I could say I had office experience. Try to find ways to make your job more efficient there so you have something to show how good you are in your next interview.

After 3 months I moved on to a medium sized company as the accounts assistant where I learnt the bulk of my accounting experience by finishing boring jobs early (like scanning) and asking for more jobs. I was promoted twice in a year and learnt how the system worked from start to finish. After I felt my learning curb had come to a halt I started applying to other jobs and now I'm a junior accountant at a 10 billion turnover company and am planning to be promoted to accountant after I'm part qualified at the end of the year

So my advice is to start studying by yourself now so you can get a bit of accounting knowledge in you and bull**** your way from there!
Reply 27

I am 25 now and graduated in 2008 and have been getting various admin office contracts since without being able to do the ACA. I was wondering if perhaps I should start the exams myself? But that would be even worse if I did the exams and still couldnt get a job, spending 5k in the process. Also, I took CISI banking/stockbroking exams and passed them for 2k and couldn't get a job in that. Obviously you generally need a 2.1 to get on to Masters.

You don't need to pay 5k to start ACA studies. Don't go to college, you can learn it at home from the books.
Honestly, I am at my wit's end trying to work out what to do now. Basically, I got a 2.2 in my Economics degree and finding it nigh on impossible to get a job. Before you say, your fault for getting a 2.2, I know it is, I didn't enjoy uni and wasn't very happy and found it incredibly difficult to live with my housemates who were very disrespectful and I kind of let them drag me down, rest of them either dropped out or got 2.2's and joined the army, went abroad etc.

Anyway, I got decent A levels, A in Maths and decent GCSE's, and I seem to have the UCAS points. Obviously Economics is a pretty challenging course and first time round, I found it difficult to apply myself due to everything. But I was thinking of perhaps doing something a bit easier but also applying myself like Business as it seems silly to do the same degree.

I have been trying to get ACA accounting trainee positions and think I could pass, even though it would be tough. I know a lot of people who are older and got 2.2's and are successful but obv in this current job climate, its incredibly difficult.

I'm just losing my mind as am currently unemployed after finishing last contract a few weeks ago and literally unable to sleep due to my regrets from uni and worrying about the future. Cheers for any advice

Getting a 2:2 isn't the reason you're not getting a job in accounting, I got a 2:2 and I still got an accounting job. The ACA website even has graduate schemes that accept 2:2s here http://trainingvacancies.icaew.com/jobboard/cands/jobResults.asp?bj=1&minDegreeClass=43781%7C%7C2%2E2&jobType=43720%7C%7CPractice&entryLevel=43723%7C%7CGraduate

What's stopping you from getting an accounting role is proving your interest in accounting. You can either start your chosen qualification, do the first few exams and then start applying for trainee positions (this is a common route for ACCA/CIMA students, not sure about ACA), or do what I did which was unpaid accounting work experience. I hated working for free but it helped me get my current job so it was worth it.
Reply 29
Original post by ellathecat
then i guess you didn't look very closely...:rolleyes:

On the website I gave you in my previous post there's information confirming what I said - that you would not have to pay any tuition fees. In addition, there's a 'study programmes database' where you can search for programmes suited to you. These include a variety of programmes, also economics related ones, which might suit OP. Here are a few examples:

http://finland.cimo.fi/df/details.php?id=415
http://finland.cimo.fi/df/details.php?id=417

I'm sorry I overestimated your internet skills, but the above links should be easier.:smile:

As for it being 'strange' to offer a degree course for free for international students, Finland has as a welfare state promoted everyone's equal right to education. Personally I'm not here to express political views for or against, simply to state a fact. Finland's policy may of course change over coming years. I believe this is the case in Sweden, where all education is free to Swedish and EU students but has recently become chargeable for international students. Sweden, too, offers a variety of degree programmes also in English that OP could take a look at, should he decide to apply to uni abroad. Like I said in my first post, moving abroad would be a big change, and it's certainly not to everyone's taste, but it might be a very rewarding experience if you were up for it.

I hope I've helped, and to OP: Good luck, whatever you decide to do :smile:

Me no speak English:slap:- I was mainly looking at the pictures if i recall:colondollar: Funny you mention Sweden, seeing as I knew an undergraduate from there who was poor as hell studying for an Engineering degree here in England.
Not really. Tbh it's about getting your first job and moving up from there. Getting a 2:i is neither the only means by which you can get a good job nor a golden ticket to a good job. You'd be better off spending that time doing something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending