The Student Room Group

How do I open more doors for myself?

Hey guys :smile:
I'm a year 11 student who is hoping to do the IB next year. The problem that I'm having is that I want to keep my subject choices well ranged as I have no idea what to do at Uni or as a career. The subjects I definately want to do are:
English
History
German
However, I do not know what to pick for the other subjects as I like the sciences also and I want to have some value on my subjects on both spectrums (arts and sciences). The idea of Higher and Standard level subjects is confusing too: chemistry and physics have to be taken at higher level and we have the maths A level alongside maths studies rather than Maths S and H, so it's all very confusing.
How can I choose my subjects to open the most doors for me when applying to Uni? Recommendations on subject choices/combinations would be most helpful :smile:
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Daviscon
I'm a year 11 student who is hoping to do the IB next year. The problem that I'm having is that I want to keep my subject choices well ranged as I have no idea what to do at Uni or as a career. The subjects I definately want to do are:
English
History
German
However, I do not know what to pick for the other subjects as I like the sciences also and I want to have some value on my subjects on both spectrums (arts and sciences). The idea of Higher and Standard level subjects is confusing too: chemistry and physics have to be taken at higher level and we have the maths A level alongside maths studies rather than Maths S and H, so it's all very confusing.
How can I choose my subjects to open the most doors for me when applying to Uni? Recommendations on subject choices/combinations would be most helpful :smile:

Yours your arms and push.
Reply 2
1. Physical Doors - pull on the handle always helps.

2. Doors(I prefer windows) of opportunity - participate in more activities
The way the IB is structured it forces you to pick a range of subjects that will help you open many doors no matter what method you use (whether you pull, push, use handles etc.). The way you're school has organised it is confusing but English and History complement each other. And possible select two other sciences (Bio and Chem?) with maths. So you leave the door open (no need to push or pull as it's already open, basically an archway) for subjects such as law and medicine at university. Good luck with those doors.
English which you have to take, history is good for opening doors at uni, HL science that way if you ever choose to take it at uni you can. Take an arts so that if you ever choose to do something creative you have a portfolio! Good Luck :smile:
Reply 5
With some force/a key, you can open more doors.
Reply 6
English
History
German

Does your college/sixth form offer biology? Chemistry and physics at HL are both really tough, from what I hear. Chemistry at HL seems doable but it could be worthwhile to consider whether or not you think you'd really need it for a career. Also many science-based degrees seem to require chemistry and one other science subject or maths at HL which might not be practical for you.

Might also be wise to start off with 4 subjects at HL if you're allowed to do that, to give you a bit more of a feel for the subjects/more of an idea of what you want to do in the future. It's pretty flexible in the first year so I'd check if this would be possible for you.

If English, history and German are your definites then maybe they ought to be your highers? Before starting the IB I had heard that languages at HL were really hard to do well in but coming to the end of my first year doing French HL, it doesn't look bad so far.

Basically, just have a good think and try and keep a balance between the subjects you enjoy (I've found this a really big factor so far) and what you're good at. The IB's good in that it's quite difficult to limit your options. Sorry for the long, rambly and probably way too general advice! Good luck in making your choices! :smile:
Which key opens any door?

A pikey
Reply 8
English
History
German

ok, so you want to do ib :smile: i did a lot of research into it and this is what i found out :smile: i hope it isn't off putting if you really want to do it lol

you have to do 6 subjects and it goes pretty much like this:

1 english, 1 maths, 1 science, 1 humanity, 1 language and 1 art/substitute with another subject

you're pretty much forced to do those subjects lol.

then you have CAS: 50 hours each for Creative (anything creative eg cooking, photography), Action (sport) and Service (voluntary work)

you also have to do Theory of Knowledge (ToK) and Extended Essay (EE)

the higher level subjects should be the ones you need to carry on later at uni, and the standard level are the ones that you dont want/need for uni but have to study for ib

disadvantages: you might not want to do some of the subjects and it's much more work for the same amount of points as a-level

advantages: makes you much more prepared for life at uni, gives you a wide range platform to advance from and it's recognised internationally :smile:

good luck with your choice, i hope you're happy with it and do well :smile:

from a current year 11 student
Reply 9

English
History
German

Math is compulsory. Choose either SL or HL math. (Math HL, math SL or the easiest math studies SL)

Then you have 2 subjects left. Arts, philosophy (if your school offers it), economy (-ll-), psychology, biology, physics, chemistry =)

Remember, you can take 4 HL subjects too and 2 SL's if you want to. Or just 3HL and 3 SL. Also, consider whether you're taking English A or B and German A or B.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending