The Student Room Group

How do you get through all-nighters?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Nope, some people don't have a choice. Not necessarily for 50 years - but some people do have to do 12 hour shifts for quite a few years. What happens if you're married and then suddenly your wife leaves, you have to re-mortgage? Now you've got a 10 year mortgage and 2 kids to raise. There isn't really a 'choice' to walk away from 12 hour shifts when you're on min wage. If you do then your house gets re-possessed, you have no where to live and your kids get taken away. Not many choices going on there.

There is a choice to work 12 hours a day. There is a choice to raise a family at a certain point in time. There is a choice to get a mortgage at a certain point in time. If you're already under the entanglement of the aforementioned, then yes, you are probably trapped. However, this scenario was not what I was talking about. We are talking about architecture students here.

As soon as you graduate (or before university) there is an absolutely massive amount of choice (which a lot of the time, people tend to ignore). We're not talking 20 years down the line.
Original post by cl_steele
ritalin and epinephron should do thre trick :tongue:

I think you mean epinephrine? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply 42
Original post by Existentialistic
I think you mean epinephrine? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes because spelling it wrong automatically makes it wrong? Good logic right there...
Yes because spelling it wrong automatically makes it wrong? Good logic right there...

Please do some research on epinephrine and norepinephrine before claiming that they are a suitable agent to keep one awake.

Ritalin and other forms of "study-enhancers" are a completely different type of drug in comparison to epinephrine. Claiming that one should take epinephrine in order to stay awake is ridiculous and potentially lethal advice.
By eating loads and loads of food - Okay not too much food - but just enough to keep you going :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Existentialistic
Please do some research on epinephrine and norepinephrine before claiming that they are a suitable agent to keep one awake.

Ritalin and other forms of "study-enhancers" are a completely different type of drug in comparison to epinephrine. Claiming that one should take epinephrine in order to stay awake is ridiculous and potentially lethal advice.

its adrenaline nothing more nothing less, and no im pretty sure if you some how managed to get your hands on it, or better yet got someone to shout boo at you, itd keep you awake...

oh jesus calm down, some of you people on this site are so anally retentive its unbelievable. recognise a tongue in cheek remark when you see one.
Reply 46
its adrenaline nothing more nothing less, and no im pretty sure if you some how managed to get your hands on it, or better yet got someone to shout boo at you, itd keep you awake...

oh jesus calm down, some of you people on this site are so anally retentive its unbelievable. recognise a tongue in cheek remark when you see one.

Of course this would give you an anally expulsive personality type.
Reply 47
Original post by Norton1
Of course this would give you an anally expulsive personality type.

and how did you come to that conclusion?
Reply 48
and how did you come to that conclusion?

Why, the only true source of knowledge there is; Wikipedia:

'those who reject anal-retentive characteristics are said to have "anal-expulsive" personality types.'
Reply 49
Original post by Norton1
Why, the only true source of knowledge there is; Wikipedia:

'those who reject anal-retentive characteristics are said to have "anal-expulsive" personality types.'

really? wikipedia told me something else, something about liking anal stimulation?

Anal expulsiveness describes a personality type broadly defined as exhibiting cruelty, emotional outbursts, disorganization, self-confidence, (sometimes) artistic ability, generosity, rebelliousness and general carelessness

but again it begs the question how does this describe me? you have no idea who i am or what i do?

coming from that donkey freud i think i'll ignore it...
Reply 50
Original post by GormlessWonder
Your first paragraph makes no sense in terms of the last few weeks before a hand-in when there are no contact hours. The whole point is to ignore the concept of day and night. You must understand people work in different ways, you say architects are ridiculous with sleep but you get 4 hours a night. The key is just to sleep at any point you're too tired to work anymore.

Well you've misunderstood me, because those are the weeks I was talking about. What I'm trying to say is that when most architects I know talk about pulling an all nighter, they usually mean that they slept in till, say 10am-12pm that day and then worked like a dog for the next 24hours until their deadline or review or whatever. In my mind that sounds like they're just pulling all nighters to make up for oversleeping. So I think that makes no sense, when they could have woken up earlier, got the same amount of work done and got some sleep.

That's just me, obviously I'm using myself as an example. I actually don't need to sleep alot, even when I'm study free I only sleep about 4-6 hours a night *shrug* I was just going by my hours. Of course there are times when the sheer amount of work means that all nighters are virtually unavoidable, but I've found that 90% of the time they actually are. I just find it "ridiculous" to hear about people pulling all nighters, like, once a week, when they could just work better hours.
I eat lemon cheesecake. I plan on the times I eat it and that's that. It's refreshing and great to look forward to. It's a relief to all that lead anyway.
Reply 52
Caffeine :coffee:, and cookies :cookie: :tongue:

<3 x
Ice in your underwear when you start to drift off :P
Reply 54
I wake up early in the morning (6.30) and swim for half an hour, it fills me with energy.
I eat fruit and throw cold water on my face.
I try not to work in my bedroom.

(Motivation tip: Remind yourself of the arrogant studiomates and how much you want to surpass them.)

However, tutors can tell whether you 've pulled an allnighter and they don't appreciate it at all. It's regarded it as a problem with time management. In my opinion, try to sleep before a final crit and deliver a relaxed, confident presentation.

Quick Reply

Latest