The Student Room Group

The University of Sheffield - Journalism applicants 2012!

Scroll to see replies

You have to wait at least one day to apply for accommodation. This is because UCAS needs to inform the university that you have accepted them. I firmed Sheffield on the 21st and it allowed me to apply today (23rd). Which accommodation are you going to apply for? I applied for Endcliffe, only because that the only accommodation that I saw on the open day! loll :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by onlyyouknowbest
You have to wait at least one day to apply for accommodation. This is because UCAS needs to inform the university that you have accepted them. I firmed Sheffield on the 21st and it allowed me to apply today (23rd). Which accommodation are you going to apply for? I applied for Endcliffe, only because that the only accommodation that I saw on the open day! loll :smile:

I am applying to endcliffe right now but i don't know whether to prioritise the location or the type of room? does it mean i might not be offered an en-suite at endcliffe but they can give me one without a bathroom but still in endcliffe, or i will be completely separate from endcliffe but i will have an en-suite still? confused!
Reply 22
Original post by BeckyD
I am applying to endcliffe right now but i don't know whether to prioritise the location or the type of room? does it mean i might not be offered an en-suite at endcliffe but they can give me one without a bathroom but still in endcliffe, or i will be completely separate from endcliffe but i will have an en-suite still? confused!

That's what the choice is about. In the unlikely case that there are no more en-suites left in Endcliffe you will be offered (depending on your preference) an en-suite in Ranmoor or City OR a shared bathroom in Endcliffe. I prioritised location because I just loved Endcliffe.
I prioritised location because Encliffe was just amazing! If you prioritise location, then they'll definitely give you a place at Endcliffe, but this does not necessarily mean that you'll get en En-suite. However, if you prioritise type of room, as Lauren mentioned, then you'll defo be given en En-suite, but this could be anywhere though - Ranmoor, Opal2 etc...
Reply 24
Original post by lauren_a
That's what the choice is about. In the unlikely case that there are no more en-suites left in Endcliffe you will be offered (depending on your preference) an en-suite in Ranmoor or City OR a shared bathroom in Endcliffe. I prioritised location because I just loved Endcliffe.

I put location first then changed it before i sent it to type of room, but you've just convinced me so I'm going to e-mail them to change it :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by BeckyD
I put location first then changed it before i sent it to type of room, but you've just convinced me so I'm going to e-mail them to change it :biggrin:

Aha it's a tough choice! Chances are you'll get both anyway. The main issue current students seemed to have was that theyd put down mixed gender but had ended up in same sex flats.
Reply 26
Aha it's a tough choice! Chances are you'll get both anyway. The main issue current students seemed to have was that theyd put down mixed gender but had ended up in same sex flats.

I didn't see that choice? Was that the button if you didn't mind sharing bathroom or kitchen facilities with mixed genders? or was there a completely different one
Reply 27
Just firmed for sheffield! Way psyched! :biggrin:
I couldn't attend the open house though/visit the campus cause I live overseas.
Do you guys have any advice on which accommodation is best? Can't decide!
Reply 28
Hey there

Haven't been on TSR for ages. I too received an offer, promptly firmed, attended the open day and have applied for accommodation at Endcliffe. Excited at the prospect but my grades hang in the balance somewhat. What did those who have seen the Uni think?

Perhaps see you all next year!
Reply 29
Looks like most of us Journalism applicants are going for Endcliffe!

Yvette - Endcliffe is the bigger of the two, and has a really communal feel to it. It also has bigger facilities, such as the student bar and canteen, because of the size. Apparently Ranmoor is more relaxed and quieter. I've never been there, so I don't know for sure. I'd definitely recommend going for one of the villages rather than the City location, though - it seems like much less goes on in the smaller complexes.

Tom - I really liked the Uni itself, as well as the Journalism buildings. The teachers seem to really know what they're talking about, and the Student Union is literally the best in the country.

Thinking about it all is making me look forwards to September again! :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by Liisarr
Looks like most of us Journalism applicants are going for Endcliffe!

Yvette - Endcliffe is the bigger of the two, and has a really communal feel to it. It also has bigger facilities, such as the student bar and canteen, because of the size. Apparently Ranmoor is more relaxed and quieter. I've never been there, so I don't know for sure. I'd definitely recommend going for one of the villages rather than the City location, though - it seems like much less goes on in the smaller complexes.

Tom - I really liked the Uni itself, as well as the Journalism buildings. The teachers seem to really know what they're talking about, and the Student Union is literally the best in the country.

Thinking about it all is making me look forwards to September again! :biggrin:

Just chose Endcliffe as my accomodation! Looks like I'll be seeing everyone there. Really excited for September too!
Reply 31
Original post by Yvette.T
Just chose Endcliffe as my accomodation! Looks like I'll be seeing everyone there. Really excited for September too!

I've also chosen Endcliffe! Just need to get the grades now - that's the scary bit! Good luck for the exam season everyone :smile:
Reply 32
Yeah, best of luck in exams everyone, and hopefully we'll be seeing one another on the course in September!

I had my first exam today, only a re-sit but still pretty stressful. Thankfully I haven't got another for a few weeks now. :smile:
Thought people on their way to Sheffield in September might be interested in what I've written about first year modules on this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2008222 :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by apassingfeeling
Thought people on their way to Sheffield in September might be interested in what I've written about first year modules on this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2008222 :smile:

Thanks loads for this, very helpful! For the 40 extra points, does that include choosing one full module and two halves or does it have to be two wholes?
Thanks loads for this, very helpful! For the 40 extra points, does that include choosing one full module and two halves or does it have to be two wholes?

Nope it doesn't have to be two wholes - you can have two 20 credit modules, one 20 and two 10s or four 10s if you want. I had two 10 credit ones in the first semester and a 20 credit one in the second. Apparently that's not recommended because it gives you an uneven split between the two semesters but I found it fine!
Reply 36
Nope it doesn't have to be two wholes - you can have two 20 credit modules, one 20 and two 10s or four 10s if you want. I had two 10 credit ones in the first semester and a 20 credit one in the second. Apparently that's not recommended because it gives you an uneven split between the two semesters but I found it fine!

Thanks for the help! Awh brilliant, there's a couple of politics and sociology modules I'd love to take!
Thanks for the help! Awh brilliant, there's a couple of politics and sociology modules I'd love to take!

You're welcome! :smile: Being able to take modules from outside the department is awesome, I took a sociology one in the first semester and I really enjoyed it - it was nice to have a bit of a break from all the other journalism modules. Though at the time I was like 'If I wanted to study sociology, I'd have taken sociology!', this year has been all journalism and I miss doing random things from other departments :colondollar:
Reply 38
This is really helpful! Thanks so much!
Original post by Yvette.T
This is really helpful! Thanks so much!

No problem, glad it was of some use! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending