The Student Room Group

OCR PSYCHOLOGY G542 core studies May 2012

Scroll to see replies

(d) Discuss the strengths and limitations of the behaviourist approach using examples from any study involving behaviourism (12)

Anyone able to give me any help with this question?
Reply 61
Original post by Bobby Greenberg III
A similarity by the study conducted by Bandura, Ross and Ross and the study conducted by Samuel and Bryant is that they both focus on the behaviour and development of children. Samuel and Bryant’s study shows that, as children grow older (specifically from the age range of 5 years 3 months 8 years 3 months), their conservational skills develop, and it was found that there are fewer errors made as children “conserve”. Similarly, the study conducted by Bandura, Ross and Ross also focuses on children. 72 children were selected from Stanford University preschool, with the childrens’ ages ranging from 37 months 69 months, with a mean age of 52. The study aimed to investigate the effects of a varying (a) sex of child (b) sex of model and (c) aggressive/non-aggressive model on the behaviour of the children

A difference between the two studies is the initial aims of the investigations. Samuel and Bryant instigated their research to investigate whether or not Piaget’s original research method of asking the same question twice when investigating children’s abilities to conserve was valid. Contrastingly, Bandura, Ross and Ross aimed to investigate the imitation of aggression from models to children, based on the principles of Social Learning Theory.

Thank you!!! didn't realise you could write about the aims of the studies!
Reply 62
Original post by RaHiNa
Yep you're right that is what came up on the jan 2012 paper.

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by Cyclohexane
With reference to Thigpen and Cleckley's study of the three faces of Eve, describe how the Individual Differences approach could explain multiple personality disorder (4).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

The individual differences approach would explain multiple personality disorder as it would suggest that Eve had multiple personality because she had different psychological characteristics than other people, these different psychological characteristics caused her to have mutiple personality disorder.
Reply 64
Original post by Bobby Greenberg III
pil.jpg
Here is an image of the train on the subway.

Adjacent area early = the model sat in the adjacent area and intervened after passing the fourth station (approx. 70 seconds after the collapse)

Adjacent area late = the model sat in the adjacent area and intervened after passing the sixth station (approx. 150 seconds after the collapse)

Critical area early = the model sat in the critical area and intervened after passing the fourth station (approx. 70 seconds after the collapse)

Critical area late = the model sat in the critical area and intervened after passing the sixth station (approx. 150 seconds after the collapse)

Thank you so much!
Reply 65
this exam is on Tuesday, right?
Original post by stoppy123
Well they group up the Section B studies on how similar they are, and as maguire hasn't come up before, it seems like it must come up, so 2 others which are similar which have come up once may come up.

Also, yes including jan 2012, our teacher gave us a pack of all the papers including jan 2012 and I'm just going through all the questions for each study :biggrin:

I was looking for jan 2012 mark scheme but can't find anything on the internet. How did you answer section a question 2 and 8 in jan 2012? :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by smallfish008
I was looking for jan 2012 mark scheme but can't find anything on the internet. How did you answer section a question 2 and 8 in jan 2012? :smile:

can u pls put up the jan 12 paper? thankx :colondollar:
Reply 68

I've attached the Mark scheme and paper to this post, hope it works, it's the first time I'm doing this
Reply 69
I am absolutely dreading this exam tomorrow :O I still have so much to revise and looked at the Jan 2012 paper and I couldn't answer any question! I am so gonna fail :frown:
Reply 70
Is knowing the background of the study very important? I keep looking at past papers and it doesn't tend to come up so is it useless revising them?
Reply 71
Original post by eselle
Is knowing the background of the study very important? I keep looking at past papers and it doesn't tend to come up so is it useless revising them?

They do ask about the background as Section A can be on anything from the background, method, procedure, sample, results, findings, evaluation points etc etc so i'd go over it just to stay on the safe side! I'm so dreading this exam tomorrow it's unreal
Reply 72
In the Savage-Rumbaugh study, what's the difference between spontaneous, imitated and structured utterances?

Reply 73
Original post by mkhan9035
i am absolutely dreading this exam tomorrow :redface: i still have so much to revise and looked at the jan 2012 paper and i couldn't answer any question! I am so gonna fail :frown:

could you send me the jan 2012 paper please?
Reply 76

Sorry for the long reply, The question 2 wants you to say like....

Kanzi's symbol use was classified in two ways, Kanzi's symbol use must be appropriate for the task in hand, e.g if he was hungry, he would point to a bananan.

Kanzi's symbol use must also be spontaenous 9/10 times with no assistance from the researchers.

And In question 8

The visual stimuli were presented on monitor in which the participants were asked to stare directly at a dot in the middle of the screen, one image on either the right or left of the screen were presented for 0.5 seconds, an adequate time for only one vision field (either left or right) to see it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 77
All approach assumptions:

Cognitive approach: This assumes that the human mind is like a computer, as both computers and our minds process and interpret information.

Social approach: This assumes that human behaviour is occurs in social context, and that our peers, colleagues and friends can infleunce our behaviour even when not present.

Developmental approach: This assumes that we go through systematical changes in our behaviour from conception to death. EG. Freud's psychosexual stages.

Individual differences approach: This assumes that individuals differ in their psychological characteristics, and this is what causes their difference in memory, intelligence etc.

Biological approach: This assumes that our behavior can be explain in terms of the physiological workings of the body and the brain e.g chemicals, genes. It supports the nature argument.

Behaviourist: This approach assumes that we are blank slates from birth and that all our behaviour is learnt from the environment. It supports the nurture argument.
What is the minimum we can get away with in this exam?? There's tooo much to learn my brain hurts :frown:
Can anyone help me with figuring out the grade boundaries? i.e. I want to find out how much I need to get in this paper to get an A overall for the AS qualification. For example, say you got 48/60 for the unit G541 paper (Psychological Investigations), what would you need to get in the unit G542 paper (Core Studies) to get an A overall keeping in mind that overall marks are allocated on a 30%:70% basis respectively for each paper?

Thanks in advance =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending