The Student Room Group

Revision: Max hours you are able to work?

So I've promised myself that I'm going to go all out with revision this week and try to bump up my hours. Typically, I manage around 4-5 a day, but I'm aiming for 6-7.

How long are you able to work before you your brain turns to mush? I'm interested to know how many hours people do each day, and how frequent breaks are.
Oh, and if anyone has any experiences of an all nighter of revision, please share! :P

Scroll to see replies

I'm the same. I can normally do 4 - 5 hours. I've tried doing more but I'm just not there any more. It depends what I'm doing and what time. Sometimes I have a break after 2 hours for lunch or I'll take little 10 minute breaks to keep me awake. Don't try to do 6 -7 straight as your brain won't take in the information as effectively.
Reply 2
I find it difficult to do one hour, I usually have to play on my phone or read for a bit then go back, but I can't go past 2 hours. Something about reading things I know doesn't appeal I guess.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
4-5 here as well. Best time for me is the mornings (that's when the library is nice and empty
as well, so working atmosphere is ideal). Glad I graduated and will never have to revise again
though lol
Reply 4
About 5 hours as well.
Reply 5
Usually i do around 6-7 hours a day, some days i'm in the mood for working (!) and i can do around 10-12...but that's more like work, eat, work, eat, work, eat, sleep...doing too much isn't good for you 8)

Aim for around 6 hours, you can break it up into 1 and half hour sessions :smile:
Reply 6
4 hrs with 5 min breaks then a 20 min break after 2 hrs
Reply 7
wow... what are you people made of?
Reply 8
Around 4-5 hours a day.
In the week before exams, I can go up to 12-14. But normally only 3-4 hours a day.

Still failed my exams though :facepalm:
Original post by 007Shella

Sugar, spice, everything nice.

And chemical X :biggrin:

sorry, coulkdn't resist!
Reply 11
Original post by AspiringGenius
In the week before exams, I can go up to 12-14. But normally only 3-4 hours a day.

Still failed my exams though :facepalm:

12-14?! D:
Do you not eat/sleep?
Reply 12
18 for me. 15-30 minute breaks for food, drink, toilet, TV, etc.
maybe 2 or 3. im really lazy and i dont do much
Reply 14
Original post by buildalegohouse
So I've promised myself that I'm going to go all out with revision this week and try to bump up my hours. Typically, I manage around 4-5 a day, but I'm aiming for 6-7.

How long are you able to work before you your brain turns to mush? I'm interested to know how many hours people do each day, and how frequent breaks are.
Oh, and if anyone has any experiences of an all nighter of revision, please share! :P

I am usually laid back and wait until the last minute to revise.. i revise better when the pressure to do so is on so i would do 12 hour days, with about 9 really efficent hours and 3 average ones for about 3 days, then exam then same between each exam haha
Reply 15
Now exams are about 2 weeks, I'm aiming for 5 hours. I did try 8 hours one day last week (3 hours in the morning, 3 hours in the afternoon and 2 hours in the evening) but my brain wasn't taking anything - If anything it was counter productive.
Original post by 007Shella

This lol
Reply 17
When i have a lot of time untill an exam (3-5) i spend my time procrastinating, however when it gets 1 day before the exam i work from 9 am to 12 pm (-4 hours on eating and resting).
I do lots of little broken up sessions straight for an hour. Like 15 mins vocab, 10 mins quotes, half an hour history. Although I skip the last few minutes usually. I do that for 2-3 hours straight.
Being honest here, I don't think I've revised for more than 1 hour a day for an exam, ever...

I just don't have the concentration needed to sit in one place and work... :sadnod:

Which is very weird, as my concentration at school is infinitely better :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest