The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA B PSYB2 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joeyseph
I can't remember any of the studies, why do we have to learn so many? :frown:

Is it the names you are struggling with? Apart from Milgram and Asch you don't need to be able to name studies- just know what they did and their result :smile: I hope that's helped a bit :smile:
Original post by Harriet : )
Really I seem to struggle, perhaps I don't think obviously enough! Hate distraction conflict theory :frown: I know what you mean though- gives me really bad headaches :frown:
Have a feeling that types of long term memory will come up as a 10 marker in cognitive :frown:

don't worry about types of LTM as an essay question, they have never asked an essay question on it because there are only evaluation points on the studies, types of LTM are only ever short questions :smile: (i think)
What I'm trying to remember for distraction conflict theory is that arousal is caused by our division of attention, which impairs our performance in a task, and causes our dominant response (incorrect if the task is hard/ person is unpractised, or correct if the task is easy and the person is well practised). What I don't understand is why would being distracted in the presence of others cause social facilitation, even when the task is easy? makes no sense! tbh in the memory and forgetting section I'm almost certain they'll ask the 10 marker on the working memory model, but you never know! :smile:
Original post by HollyBumblebee
don't worry about types of LTM as an essay question, they have never asked an essay question on it because there are only evaluation points on the studies, types of LTM are only ever short questions :smile: (i think)
What I'm trying to remember for distraction conflict theory is that arousal is caused by our division of attention, which impairs our performance in a task, and causes our dominant response (incorrect if the task is hard/ person is unpractised, or correct if the task is easy and the person is well practised). What I don't understand is why would being distracted in the presence of others cause social facilitation, even when the task is easy? makes no sense! tbh in the memory and forgetting section I'm almost certain they'll ask the 10 marker on the working memory model, but you never know! :smile:

Ah that's true, I don't think there's enough to ask :smile: Yeah that makes more sense when you put it like that! Ugh there's always that one theory that make no sense- I guess maybe because they're so good at the task already, that their ability overrides the effect of attentional conflict and so social facilitation occurs :smile: I'd love another 2 explanations of forgetting but yeah working memory model looks highly likely! You doing anxiety disorders or autism? :smile:
Reply 23

there is so much to say for any of the models of memory, so that would be perfect if it came up. and the distraction-conflict theory, it does make sense I think hhe. because remember distraction can mean any stimuli like audience, co-actors, noise etc. but if you presume we were looking at audience as a distraction, like the arousal theory says also, performance gets facilitated on easier task (simple task) in the presence of others.

anyone have any past paper/questions ?
also any prediction for the social psychology part ?
thank youuuuuu
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by lumayaa

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/a-level/science/psychology-b/psychology-b-key-materials
Up to June 2011 and then I attached the Jan 12 on the previous page :smile:
I think/hope either Milgram or Asch will come up :colone:
Ah that's true, I don't think there's enough to ask :smile: Yeah that makes more sense when you put it like that! Ugh there's always that one theory that make no sense- I guess maybe because they're so good at the task already, that their ability overrides the effect of attentional conflict and so social facilitation occurs :smile: I'd love another 2 explanations of forgetting but yeah working memory model looks highly likely! You doing anxiety disorders or autism? :smile:

I'm doing autism! how about you??
Reply 27
Is it the names you are struggling with? Apart from Milgram and Asch you don't need to be able to name studies- just know what they did and their result :smile: I hope that's helped a bit :smile:

Oh really? Thanks a lot I've been trying to remember names but just cant do it haha
I'm doing autism! how about you??

I'm doing anxiety disorders :rolleyes: Autism looks quite interesting though, from what I've flicked through in the text book1
Original post by Joeyseph
Oh really? Thanks a lot I've been trying to remember names but just cant do it haha

Yup! It's quite handy to know that :smile: Good job we don't have to remember the dates too :smile: What topics are you doing?
Reply 29

Hi Harriet, I was just wondering what part of the spec the Milgram study is related to? We haven't covered it in class and after googling it myself I can't seem to fit it in to memory, social cognition or autism? Thanks.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 30
Social cognition, remembering and forgetting & Autism.

Is Milgram for the Authoritarian personality or is his study just part of social influence? I remember being told about it but it's not in any of our booklets and we have the F Scale study for support of authoritarian personality. :colondollar:

Edit: Sophie just answered for me haha
Reply 31
Original post by psychobabble
I have looked over past papers and they always seem to ask about forgetting e.g. describe and evaluate 2 types of forgetting, obviously you would define type of forgeting, then explain giving research evidence and examples then evaluate for each type of forgetting chosen. This question can come up as a long question as above or where it could be 4 marks for 1 type of forgetting.

Also levels of processing seems to come up quite a bit as 10 marker.

Does anyone know what came up in January for 10 marker?

January 2012, the 10 marker was "Discuss displacement and retrieval failure as explanations of forgetting. Refer to evidence in your answer." Short answers on: types of LTM and working memory model.

...and for social cognition the 10 marker was about attribution bias, discuss two and refer to evidence. Short answer questions were on attitudes and impression formation.

Hoped this helped :smile:

Original post by eihpoms
Hi Harriet, I was just wondering what part of the spec the Milgram study is related to? We haven't covered it in class and after googling it myself I can't seem to fit it in to memory, social cognition or autism? Thanks.

It's part of social influence :smile: so it doesn't fit into any of the 3 you listed which is why you don't know about it haha :L
Reply 33
It's part of social influence :smile: so it doesn't fit into any of the 3 you listed which is why you don't know about it haha :L

Ah I thought so, Joeyseph had me worried asking me if I knew about it haha, thanks :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
can the social facilitation come up as a 10 marker ? like arousal, distraction- conflict and evaluation apprehension?

thank Jesus the exam is in the afternoon :3
anyone also doing unit 3 or 4 this year also ?
Anyone else have a teacher that only taught half of the course? She taught us Social Influence, Remembering and Forgetting, and Anxiety Disorders. Luckily i've had a tutor so i've learned some of the other ones, but they're there mainly as a backup. As some last minute revision im currently learning every study for SI, R&F and AD, then will be refreshing myself on the other key areas. Hopefully we get some nice questions! As PSYB1 was pretty nice too!
Reply 36
Original post by harrrrryyy06
Anyone else have a teacher that only taught half of the course? She taught us Social Influence, Remembering and Forgetting, and Anxiety Disorders. Luckily i've had a tutor so i've learned some of the other ones, but they're there mainly as a backup. As some last minute revision im currently learning every study for SI, R&F and AD, then will be refreshing myself on the other key areas. Hopefully we get some nice questions! As PSYB1 was pretty nice too!

no my teacher told us half the spec' aswell. I think most schools tend to do that.i think it's better that way :3
Original post by lumayaa
no my teacher told us half the spec' aswell. I think most schools tend to do that.i think it's better that way :3

Fair enough, it does limit you a little bit, but i can't get my head round the others ones as much so i don't think i'll even be looking at them in the exam!
Reply 38
Fair enough, it does limit you a little bit, but i can't get my head round the others ones as much so i don't think i'll even be looking at them in the exam!

yeah at this point I'd just go over things I know, and not learn new concepts :smile:

you only have to know half the specification! don't confuse yourself with other sections your teacher hasn't taught you, as long as you know 1 section in each main section (A,B and C) you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply