The Student Room Group

I think i might fail my english and maths GCSE

Hello My Name is charlie i am getting woried about failling my English And maths GCSE at the moment for my controlled assments in english i was getting C/Ds but when i am forced to wright about a question what i have just seen just like my english mock i fail my mock grade was an E what i was very angry about it anyway at my school it is a bit unfair because like top set students get all the help where mid range and bottom students get tost a side, top set students get help and have like 3 teachers in there english lesson helping them revise for there exam anyway getting off topic i think i might fail my english and maths

But at this time i have 6-9 GCSE in other lesson does anyone think that is good

LOL Spelling Mistake In The title LOL

I have got 7 GCSE at the min
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends what A levels you want to do, or what degree you want to study.
Reply 2
Thanks for the negs.
Reply 3
Original post by CharlieBakes
Hello My Name is charlie i am getting woried about failling my English And maths GCSE at the moment for my controlled assments in english i was getting C/Ds but when i am forced to wright about a question what i have just seen just like my english mock i fail my mock grade was an E what i was very angry about it anyway at my school it is a bit unfair because like top set students get all the help where mid range and bottom students get tost a side, top set students get help and have like 3 teachers in there english lesson helping them revise for there exam anyway getting off topic i think i might fail my english and maths

I think you should try talking to teachers at school and tell them about your concerns. Alternatively you could find yourself a tutor for the subjects that you're struggling with?

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by GrantG
Thanks for the negs.

Yer Your Welcome
Reply 5
^ You're.
Reply 6
Original post by Lyndonx
Depends what A levels you want to do, or what degree you want to study.

These are the things i want to do once i leave school
Go To college and do a public servece level 2/3
Or Go to college and do a plumbing cource lvl 2 or 3
or stay on at school and do art, ICT and Public Servece
Reply 7
The irony in this is brilliant, misspelling English in the title, one 'r' as worried, misspelling 'tossed', using 'there' instead of 'their' and the complete lack of full stops.

Seriously though, you get marked on your spelling, punctuation and grammar - so that could be a starting point for getting your grade up :wink:.
Reply 8

go for plumbing. good pay, work own hours and dont need to be smart.
You've made several spelling mistakes, actually (lol assments).

Well while it could be argued that it depends on what you want to do in A Levels and the future etc etc, English and Maths are the most essential for a lot of courses and a lot of jobs. They just confirm that you have a basic understanding of the subject.

It could come back to bite you, think of resitting it now or in the future. My friend is a good example. He wanted to apply to an Architecture course in university, he would be great at it but it requires a B in Maths which he doesn't have so now he's had to go with something else.

GCSEs don't really matter all that much though Maths and English, as I said, just demonstrate a basic understaning that courses and employers like you to have.

EDIT: I took so long to type this up, I just saw you say you want to do plumbing. I could be wrong but I believe that requires an understanding of Maths.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
you spelt tossed wrong :wink:

no, but seriously, it depends on what you're planning to take next year...I'm not sure but I think C's the min. grade requirement for most jobs
Reply 11
Original post by Lyndonx

Thx :smile::colondollar:

Service*
Course*

Just trying to help you with your English.
Reply 13
well no i was trying to ask people on this fourm what i should do and you come on start **** giveing me grief and saying i am a downey of cource i am going to give crap back

Didn't actually give you grief. I will now.

A good skill to learn for English is PEE. You've gave your point: I am giving you grief. Now back it up with evidence and explain.

I didn't direct anything at you. I was talking about my viewpoint of you considering your background - which I gave two: one good and one bad.

Sit down. :tongue:
If you want to do plumbing, I find it odd that it's often required to have 5GCSEs including english + maths, for example. Perhaps maths is useful, but you'll only really need to be able to add numbers together, calculate profits and cost, and be able to read a tape measure! I think there are many flaws in our education system sometimes... :frown: Like you mentioned being basically abandoned by your school in lessons with all the support going to the top pupils - really it should be the other way round! Grrrr...
If you need any maths help, feel free to PM me - I do AS Maths. :smile:

Sorry, but if this is genuine, and what is required for a C/D grade, it is a wonderful example of grade inflation.

Spellings not that bad, but grammar + general structure = appalling.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to improve, try finding some classes in your area you can take to improve, try reading basic newspapers (The Sun/The Mail probably a good start), maybe some books.

Regarding maths, there are loads of great books. Get the CGP books - they are amazing. They are only a few £, get the SAT at 11, 14, and GCSE ones and work your way thought.

If this is a joke, you should be more respectful of people who are genuinely struggling.
Original post by Lyndonx

you'll need to be smart if you want to work your own hours...
Reply 17
Original post by dragonkeeper999
If you want to do plumbing, I find it odd that it's often required to have 5GCSEs including english + maths, for example. Perhaps maths is useful, but you'll only really need to be able to add numbers together, calculate profits and cost, and be able to read a tape measure! I think there are many flaws in our education system sometimes... :frown: Like you mentioned being basically abandoned by your school in lessons with all the support going to the top pupils - really it should be the other way round! Grrrr...
If you need any maths help, feel free to PM me - I do AS Maths. :smile:

It definitely should not be the other way round! :mad:

In my school top set got the worst teachers which was just as unfair, they should just have good capable teachers for everyone. :smile:
Original post by RVNmax
It definitely should not be the other way round! :mad:

In my school top set got the worst teachers which was just as unfair, they should just have good capable teachers for everyone. :smile:

I guess - I was in the top class, but the teaching was rather varied! I agree - the solution is to have amazing teachers for everyone! And no more mixed ability classes - I found them a nightmare! Half the class learning the higher tier course, the other half the foundation, several just mucking around, everyone rather annoyed = very stressed teacher = very little learning!
Reply 19
if it helps im gonna flop physics

Quick Reply