The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Exam 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pollypix123
which questions should be structured as mini essays? do they need intros and conclusions? or is it just paragraphs?
thanks, pp123

Question 4 should be a mini-essay...
I don't think 1, 2 & 3 need to be essays.
and 5 & 6 are obviously going to need to be written as the question demands...
Reply 101
For Q1 should you write in one big block of writing or in paragraphs?
Reply 102
Original post by iJess

definately paragraphs- about 4 or 5 :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by acsecnarf
definately paragraphs- about 4 or 5 :smile:

Thanks :smile: Shall I just write it like 'In paragraph 1 we learn that..'
Reply 104
Just thought i'd help all you worrying people! (like me)

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcse/pdf/AQA-ENG1H-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

the above link is the June 2011 Question paper

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcse/pdf/AQA-ENG1H-W-MS-JUN11.PDF

The above like is the June 2011 Mark scheme!

you're welcome!:smile:
Reply 105
For question 1 our school said do 4 PEE paragraphs about 4 different things you learn , but after searching on the net many people are just putting 7 or 8 things they learn with a quote . which one would you guys reccoment ?

Also im stuck on what to write for question 3 i dont really get what to write about feelings ?
Reply 106
Original post by iJess

short to-the-point paragraphs
Reply 107
isn't q5 describing a past experience and q6 writing to pursuade?

Also, please could someone give me some tips on writing to pursuade and describe
Reply 108
Original post by hypanx
isn't q5 describing a past experience and q6 writing to pursuade?

Also, please could someone give me some tips on writing to pursuade and describe

Q5 is usually describe/explain
Q6 is usually argue/persuade
Reply 109
for question 4, if we are asked to compare the languages used what sort of points should i cover and question 5 is usually about writing to describe, so how would you write this..do we describe everything in detail or....
Reply 110
Original post by iJess
Thanks :smile: Shall I just write it like 'In paragraph 1 we learn that..'

hmm not really you just structure your response in paragraphs but i suppose if you were referencing a quote from a paragraph in the source you could... :P
Original post by Lizy
Yes it changed after your year....
I know this because my cousin did English at the same time as you and your spec is completely different
its because in sept 2010..it was new spec so you were the last year to do it

Oh okay, and good luck to all! :smile:
Reply 112
Original post by Karishma
Question 1:
- read the text and highlight at least four bits of key information which will be relevant to the question
THEN:
-your point followed by a quote
-do this four times as each point and each quote get you a mark.

FOR EXAMPLE: if the article was about health and fitness and the question asks what the reader learns from the article you could say:

The benefits of drinking water are clearly demonstrated to the reader and are communicated by an anecdote; ''Brad Pitt told us that, 'since I have increased my water intake my blood pressure had dropped and I feel more energised with less headaches. '

Question 2: quickly identify four presentational devices.

-like question 1, this is worth eight marks so you should do four mini-paragraphs.

-the paragraphs should have:
1) the point to answer the question (1 sentence)
2) a quote from the heading (unless its a picture in that case a description)
3) the technique that has been used
4)the effect this has on the read and maybe one short sentence to link to the question.

-bearing in mind you only have ten minutes for this section also, you need to spend up to three minutes maximum on each paragraph. They should be quick and headlines, sub-headings, bold words, pictures and colours (connotations) are some of the things to be identified

EXAMPLE:

The headline of the article is shorts and bold to inform the audience of the article's emotional content and maintain their interest; ' Are you happy?' This rhetorical question forces the reader to consider whether they are 'happy' or not. This intrigues them further to continue reading the article to find out why they have been asked to consider this.

Done. The same structural format follows for question 3. However, question 3 will be about identifying language devices.

EXAMPLE:
How do the narrator's descriptions create sympathy in the reader?

The narration of the recollection of the disastrous earthquake creates imagery for the reader to help them understand the situation; 'The fear drained from the child's face like tears and a flicker of bravery grew to replace this as the continued to try and save their sister.' The simile 'tears' demonstrates the child's fear, which evokes the reader to feel pity for them because the child's peace has been destroyed by this disaster. The descriptions of the narrator make the reader feel sympathy by describing how the people are coping with the situation.

^Not the best of paragraphs to be fair, but it still would have got me up to four marks that I needed. It goes to show, you can't be wrong about the effect it creates because each person reacts differently- just as long as you identify a valid technique to explain then you can get the marks.

This may seem too easy but you are supposed to spend only ten minutes each for questions 1-3, but trust me, I have always got full marks for the first three questions! Hope I helped :smile:

Absolutely excellent!! Anything on 3-6 ? :smile:
Reply 113
I got an A ( 3 marks of an A*) in my control assessment so what do i need to get in tomorrows exam for an A* overall.
Reply 114
For question4, when we compare language features from source 3, and another source, he questions is 16 marks, so do we compare/contrast 8 differnet/similar points between the two sources????????????
Reply 115
I've got the exam tomorrow, overall i achieved an A* in CA and Speaking and Listening, rather scared about the exam. I aim to do 3/4 good sized paragraphs for Q2 and Q3.

Q2- presentational features:
One para on the feature + link to text
Another para on the feature + link to text
Another para on feature + link to text

Q3 - language
Same as above but it usually asks for feelings etc etc. Obviously on this question I will analyse the language

I recommend doing Q/1/2/3 first. Spend roughly 10-12 mins on each one because it really does help with the compare question. This one aim to spend 24 mins.

Q5 and Q6 requires you to use your imagination, and it tests your writing skills. Thus you want to show a wide range of vocab and sentence structures. Also use similies, metaphors and all the other language techniques.

Hoping to achieve an A or better in the exam (A)
Reply 116
Yes, that is good way of answering it:smile:
Reply 117
Original post by Karishma
Question 1:
- read the text and highlight at least four bits of key information which will be relevant to the question
THEN:
-your point followed by a quote
-do this four times as each point and each quote get you a mark.

FOR EXAMPLE: if the article was about health and fitness and the question asks what the reader learns from the article you could say:

The benefits of drinking water are clearly demonstrated to the reader and are communicated by an anecdote; ''Brad Pitt told us that, 'since I have increased my water intake my blood pressure had dropped and I feel more energised with less headaches. '

Question 2: quickly identify four presentational devices.

-like question 1, this is worth eight marks so you should do four mini-paragraphs.

-the paragraphs should have:
1) the point to answer the question (1 sentence)
2) a quote from the heading (unless its a picture in that case a description)
3) the technique that has been used
4)the effect this has on the read and maybe one short sentence to link to the question.

-bearing in mind you only have ten minutes for this section also, you need to spend up to three minutes maximum on each paragraph. They should be quick and headlines, sub-headings, bold words, pictures and colours (connotations) are some of the things to be identified

EXAMPLE:

The headline of the article is shorts and bold to inform the audience of the article's emotional content and maintain their interest; ' Are you happy?' This rhetorical question forces the reader to consider whether they are 'happy' or not. This intrigues them further to continue reading the article to find out why they have been asked to consider this.

Done. The same structural format follows for question 3. However, question 3 will be about identifying language devices.

EXAMPLE:
How do the narrator's descriptions create sympathy in the reader?

The narration of the recollection of the disastrous earthquake creates imagery for the reader to help them understand the situation; 'The fear drained from the child's face like tears and a flicker of bravery grew to replace this as the continued to try and save their sister.' The simile 'tears' demonstrates the child's fear, which evokes the reader to feel pity for them because the child's peace has been destroyed by this disaster. The descriptions of the narrator make the reader feel sympathy by describing how the people are coping with the situation.

^Not the best of paragraphs to be fair, but it still would have got me up to four marks that I needed. It goes to show, you can't be wrong about the effect it creates because each person reacts differently- just as long as you identify a valid technique to explain then you can get the marks.

This may seem too easy but you are supposed to spend only ten minutes each for questions 1-3, but trust me, I have always got full marks for the first three questions! Hope I helped :smile:

I was told that we had to do a point AND a quote for every mark, ie. 8 points AND 8 quotes for 8 marks :/
Reply 118
Original post by kaneboy
Absolutely excellent!! Anything on 3-6 ? :smile:

question 4 is a comparison question so do four comparisons in four paragraphs for 8 marks.

STRUCTURE:

-Point
-Explain
-linking word. can be to contrast or describe a similarity eg, in the same way / differently
-point
-explain
-link back to question if you feel it is necessary

These paragraphs should take five minutes each, leaving you twenty minutes for question 4!
Reply 119
Original post by lizz-ie
I was told that we had to do a point AND a quote for every mark, ie. 8 points AND 8 quotes for 8 marks :/

definitely not, a teacher at my school taught this too and got into trouble because so many students lost time finding 8 points in one text when they only needed four! D:

Quick Reply

Latest