The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rlw31
You'll overtake me soon, it always happens.

I'm not sure why I made that comment, because it's not as if beating you would be some great achievement given the obvious genetic advantage, and it's not exactly some great shame for me either because it's more that you've worked really hard and achieved a big squat than it is me being useless (I'm just out of practice really, but getting there).

TLDR: Great job!

EDIT: Just watched the vid and they look pretty smooth. I reckon you'd have at least 95 for a single set of 5, no problem.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by aivi

Talking about physiques, was just watching clarence0 on youtube again.
1 - why can't our uni gym be like theirs.
2 - wish he went to my uni
3 - **** he's strong. I want to start training daily as well, so maybe one day I can squat what he snatches.

I can't watch him without weeping

Original post by rlw31
Um, 6-7. I was slow coming up, but I never felt like I'd fail any of the reps; unlike Wednesday when I didn't feel confident about it at all. As much as I hate hearing people say it, sometimes I thing a lot of it is in the mind. If I managed 87.5kg 3x5 a couple of sessions ago and they weren't too hard, there's no real reason why I'd be incapable of 90kg for at least one set of five. Still having problems keeping my knees the hell out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36xja2KkX6U&feature=youtu.be

The guy spotting me is doing Starting Strength!

GJDM! keep it up :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3882
Original post by Motorbiker
Those looked easy.

Guy behind you "spotting" looked like he was just checking you out and hoping you'd fail so he'd get to grab...

What's your max ever squat? You'd be able to smash out 100 for a few easily by the looks of that...

This I think. I got 90x1 ages ago and maybe 92.5kg for a double, again ages ago. I hope to get 100kg whilst I'm still on SS. I haven't gained any weight in the ~4 weeks that I've been back at this and I only started eating to maintenance earlier this week. I'm prepared for the weight gain.

Original post by Chumbaniya
I'm not sure why I made that comment, because it's not as if beating you would be some great achievement given the obvious genetic advantage, and it's not exactly some great shame for me either because it's more that you've worked really hard and achieved a big squat than it is me being useless (I'm just out of practice really, but getting there).

TLDR: Great job!

EDIT: Just watched the vid and they look pretty smooth. I reckon you'd have at least 95 for a single set of 5, no problem.

Lol, don't worry about it.

I've been going up in 2.5kg for squats for the last couple of weeks, so I'll see if I can get it sometime next week.

Original post by Michael XYZ
Easy.

Original post by HFerguson
GJDM! keep it up :smile:

Thanks guys
Reply 3883
**** spotter.

Btw nice bum...:colone:
Original post by rlw31
Um, 6-7. I was slow coming up, but I never felt like I'd fail any of the reps; unlike Wednesday when I didn't feel confident about it at all. As much as I hate hearing people say it, sometimes I thing a lot of it is in the mind. If I managed 87.5kg 3x5 a couple of sessions ago and they weren't too hard, there's no real reason why I'd be incapable of 90kg for at least one set of five. Still having problems keeping my knees the hell out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36xja2KkX6U&feature=youtu.be

The guy spotting me is doing Starting Strength!

It's so true about the mental aspect. I've recently started really firing myself up mentally for all my lifts. The problem with it is that it's really tiring to do that all the time!
Anyone catch the British Seniors WL today? Why are the best girl weightlifters so tiny?? Is it just the advantage of having the bar proportionally so much higher to start with?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Just came across (no pun intended) a new weightlifting babe: Sara Alemanno.

I'd let her C&J me any day.

I'd like to see HER snatch.
Her snatch is amazing, her lifts aren't too bad either.
Have a question

should i get my body fat around 25% before i start weight training?
Reply 3890
Original post by *Thedreaming*
Have a question

No, anyone and everyone can benefit from weight training. The training itself and adding some muscle mass as well will help burn fat. The only reason someone might want to lose weight before starting lifting, is if their weight or body composition prevented them from getting into the proper positions in lifts like deadlifts and squats. But you see +105kg men squatting ass to ground, so even a big belly is not a real limitation :P
Original post by *Thedreaming*
Have a question

aivi is right its best to start now plus when you get your body fat down your body would look great compared to someone who lost weight and did not do any weight training. Plus lifting weights will help to preserve any muscle you have now and preventing muscle loss when you lose weight
At the gym and there's this girl on the leg extension machine (the oh so popular machine amongst women). She takes out her phone and must have turned on her front camera because she starts doing her hair whilst looking at the phone.

Seriously, what the **** women kind? Can you please beat them up and tell them to man up? I'm looking at you Aivi as you're a boxer.
Reply 3893
Original post by Michael XYZ
At the gym and there's this girl on the leg extension machine (the oh so popular machine amongst women). She takes out her phone and must have turned on her front camera because she starts doing her hair whilst looking at the phone.

Seriously, what the **** women kind? Can you please beat them up and tell them to man up? I'm looking at you Aivi as you're a boxer.

It's funny that girls do leg extensions, when they don't want to get "bulky", and leg extensions target the quads specifically :rolleyes:
I never know whether to laugh or cry, when I see most of the girls in the gym. I always feel like saying something like "hey you do know that your school books and handbag weigh more than those weights, and you haven't gotten any muscle from lifting your stuff daily, so..."

Sorry, no can do. After my first and only bar fight, I've made a promise to myself only to fight whoever steps in the ring with me (then it doesn't matter if it's one of the guys or some tiny girl) :P

plus you know violence is never the answer and all that ****.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chrisateen
aivi is right its best to start now plus when you get your body fat down your body would look great compared to someone who lost weight and did not do any weight training. Plus lifting weights will help to preserve any muscle you have now and preventing muscle loss when you lose weight

Thank you

Original post by aivi
No, anyone and everyone can benefit from weight training. The training itself and adding some muscle mass as well will help burn fat. The only reason someone might want to lose weight before starting lifting, is if their weight or body composition prevented them from getting into the proper positions in lifts like deadlifts and squats. But you see +105kg men squatting ass to ground, so even a big belly is not a real limitation :P

Thank you
(edited 11 years ago)
Managed to get myself put onto the regional weightlifting steering committee :colonhash:
Reply 3896
Original post by Becca
Managed to get myself put onto the regional weightlifting steering committee :colonhash:

Lol, is that such an awful thing?

Witnessed an assisted powerclean and a rack pull today... :indiff:
Reply 3897
Original post by rlw31

how does that even work?
Reply 3898
Original post by GQ.
how does that even work?

Lol, everyone stopped and stared. He deadlifted it up, then shrugged it as his friend tried to push/pull it up with him. Everyone else just looked at each other like :lolwut:
Original post by rlw31

I went to this meeting on behalf of a guy from the club and ended up being forced into it because of Norwegian equality laws, lol. I don't really think there's any point of me being there, tbh, but oh well, might as well get involved and try and learn something.

It's not really a power clean if you need assistance :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest