The Student Room Group

Desperate to be a Doctor? A few questions about med school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chloe:')
Okay thanks for your help! Hopefully I will be able to arrange some work experience, how long do you think I should do it for?

It doesn't matter, one day or one week or 5 weeks. It's all what you got out of it. As long as you show that you've understood what you're undertaking and what medicine entails then it really doesn't matter how many days of work experience you do. For your sake I suggest one or two weeks which will at least give you some insight.

Just remember that work experience isn't so you can see all the science things and show how medicine is all about saving lives. It's actually to show how the patient matters and what medicine is really about. The empathy, ethics and the caring nature and exploring the whole person as a whole. Everyone remembers the science but never realises more than that. I only say this because I made that mistake when I applied.

I really suggest getting Medical school interviews book by George Lee and Olivier Picard. It's an awesome book and will really give you an insight. Trust me I'm a junior doctor is also an awesome read (Max Pemberton).

Good luck and if you've got any questions just message me or quote me or whatever =] there's some stuff on the link in my signature too if that helps. Again, wish you the best of luck and hope to have you on board in a few years!
I think the ones that require As are UEA Hull/York and Birmingham from memory but there's not very many anyway, Best thing you can do now is get a medical related volunteering job in a hospice or hospital ward.
Reply 22
Original post by AkDo
It doesn't matter, one day or one week or 5 weeks. It's all what you got out of it. As long as you show that you've understood what you're undertaking and what medicine entails then it really doesn't matter how many days of work experience you do. For your sake I suggest one or two weeks which will at least give you some insight.

Just remember that work experience isn't so you can see all the science things and show how medicine is all about saving lives. It's actually to show how the patient matters and what medicine is really about. The empathy, ethics and the caring nature and exploring the whole person as a whole. Everyone remembers the science but never realises more than that. I only say this because I made that mistake when I applied.

I really suggest getting Medical school interviews book by George Lee and Olivier Picard. It's an awesome book and will really give you an insight. Trust me I'm a junior doctor is also an awesome read (Max Pemberton).

Good luck and if you've got any questions just message me or quote me or whatever =] there's some stuff on the link in my signature too if that helps. Again, wish you the best of luck and hope to have you on board in a few years!

Thank you so much!!!! Thanks everyone :biggrin:
Reply 23
You won't need to worry or prepare for them yet. But you should know that to get into medicine you need to sit entrance examinations such as the UKCAT or BMAT ( the one you sit depends on which university you apply for).

It's good you are being more proactive now. I know some people who decide literally 1 or 2 months before appplying. I'm not saying it is bad as many people decide to study medicine much later in their life. But you have more chance of success in your aplication if you prepare for it earlier.
Reply 24
I gave a positive rating to your first post to balance out the neg rep :cool:
Reply 25
Original post by -Neuro-
You won't need to worry or prepare for them yet. But you should know that to get into medicine you need to sit entrance examinations such as the UKCAT or BMAT ( the one you sit depends on which university you apply for).

It's good you are being more proactive now. I know some people who decide literally 1 or 2 months before appplying. I'm not saying it is bad as many people decide to study medicine much later in their life. But you have more chance of success in your aplication if you prepare for it earlier.

Thank you for the advice! Thanks for the positive rating :biggrin:
Reply 26
You definitely don't need an A in English, I was always terrible at languages, including English and only got 2 Bs. Didn't hold me back.

Good luck.
Reply 27
Original post by Daveo
You definitely don't need an A in English, I was always terrible at languages, including English and only got 2 Bs. Didn't hold me back.

Good luck.

Thank you so much! After my English Literature Exams last week I am extremely nervous.
Original post by Elwyn
It certainly is possible to get in without an A in English Language. Take a look here for more info: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Work experience, voluntary work and extra curricular activities are a MUST. You will not get in without them.
This may seem daunting at first, but you have plenty of time. After your exams are out of the way this year start looking into doing some volunteer work somewhere as well as contacting people to orgainse work experience, even if it's just at a care home. Also make sure you do some ECAs at school.

shockingly a student I know got in with no work experience or volunteering, and got one offer! If anything it shows how appalling some unis select, ashe even couldn't answer why hes wants to do medicine in the interview.
Got rejected 2 pre interview and one post as he had no passion or empathy (according to feedback)
Reply 30

Thanks! Do you know anymore that could be helpful? I've just reserved a couple of books from the library but there's an eight month waiting list :/
Thanks! Do you know anymore that could be helpful? I've just reserved a couple of books from the library but there's an eight month waiting list :/

The fact that you are interested enough to reserve books with a eight month wait is a positive sign :smile:

I would read the news health sections, BBC Health being especially good!
I'm in year 11 and I'm about to sit my GCSE examinations and I quite like the thought of being a doctor, either a paediatrician or in A&E and I just have a few questions. I'd like to say thank you in advance. Firstly is there any medical schools that don't require an A grade for GCSE English, because although I'm quite an able student (I'm predicted A grades in everything except English :/) I really seem to struggle with English and I'm scared that this will hold me back in doing something that I really want to do in the future. I'd also like to say that I've already finished my Mathematics GCSE and have achieved an A grade in it. At A level I am going to take Biology, Chemistry, History and Mathematics. Do you have to have work experience based on Medicine to get into med school? I did my work experience in a school so I'm quite worried about this. How can I improve my chances of getting into med school? How can I be a really good doctor? Also if you don't mind could you share your experience of what it's like? I'd really like to get a further insight. Please help and thank you so much!!

Do you like the thought of chopping people open?
Reply 33
Original post by digitalis
The fact that you are interested enough to reserve books with a eight month wait is a positive sign :smile:

I would read the news health sections, BBC Health being especially good!

Okay thanks! :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by internetguru
Do you like the thought of chopping people open?

I wouldn't say that I like the thought of cutting someone up, but it's an option to consider. I think it would be very interesting but I would prefer to be normal doctor rather than a surgeon.
Reply 35
Chloe, i'm pretty sure I've got an "Applying to medical school" type book going spare at my parents house, I'm there tomorrow, if I have I'm happy to send it to you for free if you want it, it might as well not go to waste. Not fully in date though as a few years old so not sure if it has things like ukcat in, but the general geist of advice is still useful.

(I also massively recommend trust me I'm a junior doctor by Max Pemberton like someone else said, but I love that too much to give away I'm afraid :P)
Reply 36
:getmecoat:The fact that you have thought about Medicine as a career you are most likely to be a doctor, should you follow the advice of those who have got in. My advice to you is get an average GCSE Score of 7.0+ (which means A or above in all subjects) I am unsure about entry requirements of universities in two years time, however I can speculate that more universities are leaning towards a "NO RESIT POLICIES"
Start to Think about why you want to be a peadiatrican over a peadiatric nurse.
Did.you know that doctors are going on strike this June? Is it justifiable?
Epidemics in UK like type two.diabetes..
I have documents if you want them regarding medicine and medical exams. But read broadsheet newspapers to develop your vocab and prepare for UKCAT.
To be honest with you, I feel like that applying to medicine is a bit like natrual selection. Only the.fittest survive. I really hope gcse result day goes your favour. Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MT15i
Reply 37
I'm in year 11 and I'm about to sit my GCSE examinations and I quite like the thought of being a doctor, either a paediatrician or in A&E and I just have a few questions. I'd like to say thank you in advance. Firstly is there any medical schools that don't require an A grade for GCSE English, because although I'm quite an able student (I'm predicted A grades in everything except English :/) I really seem to struggle with English and I'm scared that this will hold me back in doing something that I really want to do in the future. I'd also like to say that I've already finished my Mathematics GCSE and have achieved an A grade in it. At A level I am going to take Biology, Chemistry, History and Mathematics. Do you have to have work experience based on Medicine to get into med school? I did my work experience in a school so I'm quite worried about this. How can I improve my chances of getting into med school? How can I be a really good doctor? Also if you don't mind could you share your experience of what it's like? I'd really like to get a further insight. Please help and thank you so much!!

There are plenty of uni that won't look into your GCSEs. Make sure you do really well at A-Levels. Work experience is usually a must, but its not just about ticking the boxes saying you have done this and that, but actually figuring out if you enjoy them and also about what you have learnt that you could develop once at/after medical school. Depending on medical schools, increasing your chances is possible by working hard for good grades, doing plenty of work experiences, knowing whats happening in the world around you and in medicine, writing a great personal statement and performing really well at the interview. I think getting into medical school is also about weighing your chances and which medical school are likely to accept you, at least for the interview. If there are plenty, you can then make decisions based on what you like, where you'd like to live etc. Anyway, you are going to start A-levels soon, so I would focus on doing really well, may be try and be involved in other activities and volunteering alongside school. Good luck :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by halfadoc
Chloe, i'm pretty sure I've got an "Applying to medical school" type book going spare at my parents house, I'm there tomorrow, if I have I'm happy to send it to you for free if you want it, it might as well not go to waste. Not fully in date though as a few years old so not sure if it has things like ukcat in, but the general geist of advice is still useful.

(I also massively recommend trust me I'm a junior doctor by Max Pemberton like someone else said, but I love that too much to give away I'm afraid :P)

Thank you, that's very kind!
Reply 39
Original post by muzakir
:getmecoat:The fact that you have thought about Medicine as a career you are most likely to be a doctor, should you follow the advice of those who have got in. My advice to you is get an average GCSE Score of 7.0+ (which means A or above in all subjects) I am unsure about entry requirements of universities in two years time, however I can speculate that more universities are leaning towards a "NO RESIT POLICIES"
Start to Think about why you want to be a peadiatrican over a peadiatric nurse.
Did.you know that doctors are going on strike this June? Is it justifiable?
Epidemics in UK like type two.diabetes..
I have documents if you want them regarding medicine and medical exams. But read broadsheet newspapers to develop your vocab and prepare for UKCAT.
To be honest with you, I feel like that applying to medicine is a bit like natrual selection. Only the.fittest survive. I really hope gcse result day goes your favour. Any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MT15i

Thank you very much for all the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending