The Student Room Group

Wjec gcse english language

Is any one else doing this exam tomorrow, or has anyone already done it?

I'm struggling to revise on how i should write my answers. :frown:

i need help on:

letters
reviews
articles
reports
speech
leaflets

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing it tomorrow and I'm aiming for an A* and from what we've practised I'm set for it so here is my advice :biggrin:
Remember to have a PAT in mind... This means:
Purpose
Audience
Tone

If you remember this you'll know how to write, just remember the basic layout of each format as well :smile:
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Remember to have a PAT in mind... This means:
Purpose
Audience
Tone

If you remember this you'll know how to write, just remember the basic layout of each format as well :smile:

how do you write reports?
Original post by Dominic101
how do you write reports?

I'm not too sure about WJEC...but with CIE a format isn't really required.
I kind of usually start of with a 'Re: (insert title here)' and end with a 'Yours sincerely/faithfully'. Oh. With a 'Dear Sir/Mr' at the very beginning, of course.
Original post by deadpinkfluffycat
I'm not too sure about WJEC...but with CIE a format isn't really required.
I kind of usually start of with a 'Re: (insert title here)' and end with a 'Yours sincerely/faithfully'. Oh. With a 'Dear Sir/Mr' at the very beginning, of course.

I agree, but format is required but I don't think there.is.a.specific.one... Just remember to be unbias and focused on what needs addressing in a report, and be formal :P
My english teacher said I shouldnt write Re: ? but she's been known to be wrong and anyway I still have no idea what to write in a report
Reply 7
i got a B in the mock :frown: but english is my worse subject.

For report i have no idea what to do..
In the exam should you write the form a letter with addresses and yours sincerely ect?
Reply 9
I done this exam when I was in Year 10 its tough on time limit as you only got an hour so take care and remember its only 40% your coursework grade is higher as I got Unit 1= C and Unit 2=B but I am only 5 marks away from an A. For reports don't sound to aggressive just be formal.
Reply 10
I did the Reading and Writing in Year 10 and got full marks in the Writing and a C in the Reading, then resat the Reading in January and got an A :smile:. The main thing to remember in the Writing is to try and not remember you're in an exam...if that make sense. Write how you would in real life. Also, another tip is to go for the unexpected approach. For example, in our Year 10 exam we had to write a letter to the council expressing our viewpoint on a supermarket being built on a children's playing field. Obviously about 95% of the responses were against, but I wrote about how I was for the idea. :smile: Good luck.
Can someone actually just explain to me what a report is
Reply 12
If doing a letter, do you have to include the address at the top?
I'm doing this exam tomorrow and i'm really nervous:frown: its quite hard when you think about it cause there is only so much prep you can do.We haven't been told about writing reviews thats panicked me now so anyone got any tips for writing one?also an article,i really dont understand how we structure that?! My teacher spent half an hour preparing us for this so its worrying me how much i dont know?:s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by Sparkswillfly
I'm doing this exam tomorrow and i'm really nervous:frown: its quite hard when you think about it cause there is only so much prep you can do.We haven't been told about writing reviews thats panicked me now so anyone got any tips for writing one?also an article,i really dont understand how we structure that?! My teacher spent half an hour preparing us for this so its worrying me how much i dont know?:s-smilie:

what did you get in the mock? i only got a B :frown: but i need a A!
Reply 15
For a review you give your view about the discussion
A review is a heading and then paragraphs
Then conclude it with your final view
An article includes heading and subheadings

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Please help me :frown: : I got an A for the English language exam where you write a Letter and a leaflet, but for the reading one of an extract, I got a D!! Can someone please give me some advice for the structuring of the extract paper?!

Original post by SophieSumerReed
Please help me :frown: : I got an A for the English language exam where you write a Letter and a leaflet, but for the reading one of an extract, I got a D!! Can someone please give me some advice for the structuring of the extract paper?!

Make sure you answer what they ask, for the first question explain 5 points about it.

Question 2) write about what the writer says but more importantly how they say it and what effect it has make sure.to.stay focused.on the text

Eg the extract tells us not.to waste food, he does this through content, techniques and layout. He uses guilt and emotional blackmail "____________" this makes the reader feel like they are to blame and should ____________. And explain a fair few points in detail.

Question 3 is the same as 2 but on the other extract

Question 4)
A tell us _____________ which is a similar/different interpretation compared to B, which tells us ___________. A uses ____________ techniques so that the reader ____________. In contrast B uses _______________ which does ____________ to the reader.
Write a bit about differences and similarities about different aspects.
Conclusion about why they are different (due to PAT - Purpose Audience Tone)

Hope it helped!
(edited 11 years ago)
Thank you so much! I didn't even have a mock that's how unprepared i am!!! :eek:
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Make sure you answer what they ask, for the first question explain 5 points about it.

Question 2) write about what the writer says but more importantly how they say it and what effect it has make sure.to.stay focused.on the text

Eg the extract tells us not.to waste food, he does this through content, techniques and layout. He uses guilt and emotional blackmail "____________" this makes the reader feel like they are to blame and should ____________. And explain a fair few points in detail.

Question 3 is the same as 2 but on the other extract

Question 4)
A tell us _____________ which is a similar/different interpretation compared to B, which tells us ___________. A uses ____________ techniques so that the reader ____________. In contrast B uses _______________ which does ____________ to the reader.
Write a bit about differences and similarities about different aspects.
Conclusion about why they are different (due to PAT - Purpose Audience Tone)

Hope it helped!

Wow thank you :smile: you have been a lot of help, also would you advice I look up some long clever looking words in the dictionary tonight to help bump up my grade?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending