The Student Room Group

What should I do, need some help

Hi I will try and make it short but please reply!!

Okay so a week ago today, I was in severe pain and ended up being sent to a+e by an out of hours doctor.

I got diagnosed with a leaking ovarian cyst and the leaking has caused fluid and inflammation in my fallopian tubes and womb.

I also have another cyst which has a blood supply on the other ovary and I am in the middle of tests for ovarian cancer ( my ca125 blood test was very high and abnormal last week )

I need surgery but am holding on until the end of exams because I really need to get into uni this year

I am on 8 different types of medication because I can't have the surgery yet. And the side effects are also having horrible effects on me plus the original pain from the cysts.

Anyway, I am forcing myself to an exam on Thursday to do it because I don't understand what happens if I can't go. I discharged myself from hospital even though I am supposed to be on IV antibiotics for 2 weeks.

My college told me I have to sit at least 50% a2 units to get a grade, but they can't tell me what the grade would be and they said the maximum I would be given is an a.

They have also applied for special consideration? How much will this be, 3 or 4%? I would really appreciate some help. I REALLY need a*aa, and I am prepared to kill myself for it. -_-
Reply 1
I thought if you were in hospital for the exam period (with something serious) special circumstances meant they just used your predicted grades? But I might be wrong.

DON'T KILL YOURSELF OVER THIS. If you do, you'll never get to uni! What's maybe resitting the exams in january and going to uni 2013 (with special circumstances ensuring the uni doesn't mind that you're doing so, so you won't be discriminated against for it) compared to never making it to uni and having no future at all? Think about your family here, they must be really anxious about your choice to delay surgery.

In the grand scheme of things what's a year or so in hospital compared to the rest of your life? And from personal experience with my grandma's lung cancer, the longer you put off surgery, the lower your chances of survival.

GET IN THAT HOSPITAL WOMAN!!
Reply 2
Original post by H011y94
I thought if you were in hospital for the exam period (with something serious) special circumstances meant they just used your predicted grades? But I might be wrong.

DON'T KILL YOURSELF OVER THIS. If you do, you'll never get to uni! What's maybe resitting the exams in january and going to uni 2013 (with special circumstances ensuring the uni doesn't mind that you're doing so, so you won't be discriminated against for it) compared to never making it to uni and having no future at all? Think about your family here, they must be really anxious about your choice to delay surgery.

In the grand scheme of things what's a year or so in hospital compared to the rest of your life? And from personal experience with my grandma's lung cancer, the longer you put off surgery, the lower your chances of survival.

GET IN THAT HOSPITAL WOMAN!!

Well it's not necessarily predicted grades its a combination of different things meaning it is in no way guaranteed what grade I'll get if I miss the exam

It genuinely is true. My gp said I need surgery WITHIN 6 weeks, so she said it's okay to put it off although 'not advisable' and my exams finish in 4 weeks. it's just really difficult because i know I am not going to do as well as I would have
(edited 4 years ago)
Just go to hospital, you can do your exams another time even if it means you have to defer your entry to next year.

You should be more worried about getting better than doing exams!
Reply 4
Original post by Sadsnail
Hi I will try and make it short but please reply!!

Okay so a week ago today, I was in severe pain and ended up being sent to a+e by an out of hours doctor.

I got diagnosed with a leaking ovarian cyst and the leaking has caused fluid and inflammation in my fallopian tubes and womb.

I also have another cyst which has a blood supply on the other ovary and I am in the middle of tests for ovarian cancer ( my ca125 blood test was very high and abnormal last week )

I need surgery but am holding on until the end of exams because I really need to get into uni this year

I am on 8 different types of medication because I can't have the surgery yet. And the side effects are also having horrible effects on me plus the original pain from the cysts.

Anyway, I am forcing myself to an exam on Thursday to do it because I don't understand what happens if I can't go. I discharged myself from hospital even though I am supposed to be on IV antibiotics for 2 weeks.

My college told me I have to sit at least 50% a2 units to get a grade, but they can't tell me what the grade would be and they said the maximum I would be given is an a.

They have also applied for special consideration? How much will this be, 3 or 4%? I would really appreciate some help. I REALLY need a*aa, and I am prepared to kill myself for it. -_-

You won't get your predicted grades as some other people are saying.

I think you will be eligible for 4% possibly:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1583520/Special-consideration-for-exams-the-rules.html
Reply 5
Original post by sammy-lou
You won't get your predicted grades as some other people are saying.

I think you will be eligible for 4% possibly:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1583520/Special-consideration-for-exams-the-rules.html

Does it mean 4% RAW marks or ums? How does raw convert to ums? And doesn't that mean 8% overall (across both a2 units)? So almost a grade?
Go to the hospital. I understand that you want to go to Cambridge but your health is more important right now.
Reply 7
Does it mean 4% RAW marks or ums? How does raw convert to ums? And doesn't that mean 8% overall (across both a2 units)? So almost a grade?

The 4% refers to RAW marks.

I'm not entirely sure how raw converts to ums. There's a standardisation system that does it. I presume for the benefit of this conversation that you get your 4% added to the raw marks and then this is converted to ums as with every other paper.
Reply 8

Here's a better link though:

http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1096/AA%20regs%202011-2012%20edited%2011102011.pdf

scroll down to pg 70. It's got all relevant information.

Oh, and I'm not sure about the 8% to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest