The Student Room Group

What do you expect from a Headteachier?

I'm doing my NPQH, I would guess most of you don't know what that is, that is basically the qualification all Heads and people going for it have to do.

My question is what would you expect from a Head?

I will be going to a school as a Deputy Head for the last term of their current Head, then becoming Acting Head for a while, then who knows after NPQH.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Knowing how to spell Headteacher might be a good start
Reply 2
Original post by clareramos
I'm doing my NPQH, I would guess most of you don't know what that is, that is basically the qualification all Heads and people going for it have to do.

I wouldn't expect this kind of rudeness that's for sure.
Original post by clareramos
NPQH, I would guess most of you don't know what that is

National Professional Qualification for Headship. :rolleyes:

I expect someone who takes the time to connect with their students on at least a basic level, getting to know as many by name as possible and treating them like the young adults they are becoming. At my sister's school, the head stands at the front door and says goodbye to every pupil that passes her at hometime. I concede there are only around 170 pupils in her senior school, but it makes a significant difference to how approachable the pupils perceive her to be.

My headteacher on the other hand was very slow to get involved with pupils, out of 800 or so she only knew the Sixth Form Committee, high performers and troublemakers, and that was about it. We were brought to her attention, rather than the other way around, and regularly spoken down to, which made the dynamic between students and senior staff much different to that at my sister's school.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
You already sound like a headteacher
Reply 5
Firstly, spell headteacher.

Secondly, don't be such a blatant snob "I would guess most of you don't know what that is" :colonhash: Very unnecessary line, why did you include this?

Thirdly, why tell us you're doing an NPQH? the thread was about the expectations of a head, It was painfully obvious as to why you would add such a detail.

Fix up woman.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
I wouldn't want you as a head.
Reply 7
I'd expect more clothing
Hold on, you are going to be acting headteacher, and you don't know how to spell headteacher.

HOLD ON, INFACT, ****, if you can get a job as a acting headteacher, and you can't even spell headteacher, I should just quit sixth form and my A levels and apply as a acting headteacher. I can write on my CV under academic achievements, 'able to spell headteacher correctly.'

Well that's my life sorted.

I salute you for this amazing thread and helping me realise my ambitions.

Good Day, woman.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by britchick
I'd expect more clothing

Me too

And some Secondary School experience ... from your bio you have not been teaching that long and it would appear the you lecture at a college rather than teach in a school

Then ... some major SLT experience ... you are going in as DHT and taking over almost straight away ... I wonder how capable you will be at dealing with the sort of situations that I deal with on a daily basis without experience

And ... you are asking this on here rather than forming your own vision ... I find that odd tbh

Perhaps I have misread your details ... perhaps you do have the experience so

What am I looking for in a head

Someone with enough recent classroom experince to know what the chalkface is like

Someone who can make decisions the big long term ones and the immediate crisis ones

Someone who has a very clear understanding of OFSTED and other recent developments

Someone who is able to share their vision with all stakeholders

Someone who knows where the buck stops

Someone who knows when to say well done to staff and students alike

Someone who knows when to say this is not good enough and has the strength to deal with people who do not respond to this

Someone who inspries confidence

Someone who will stand up on training days knowing that everyone in front of him/her is eager to listen because they know they will hear something worthwhile

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
It's called typing at speed, and having to get out of an office before being locked in. Most of you will be shocked at university lecturers spellings at times, there are some bad spellers. Spellcheck is always a good tool.

I wasn't being rude, most students that I know don't know what a NPQH is, I know teachers who don't know what it is.

I'm asking on here due to the fact I want to see what people generally want.

I do have Secondary and Sixth Form experience, and some University Lecturing experience. I was teaching in Secondary schools and SFCs before and whilst doing my doctorate.
[video="youtube;4dQyPSJYZxk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dQyPSJYZxk[/video]
Reply 12
Original post by Random Guy#001
SNIP - Video

HAHA!

I'm not that mean, well not unless you really piss me off.
Don't be strict. Let the kids go early and arrive late.
Reply 14
Original post by murpo
Don't be strict. Let the kids go early and arrive late.

Surely it's the other way round :tongue:

You can only do that at Uni haha!
Reply 15
God, some of you lot are really pushing the snotty student stereotype. It's quite obviously a typo, and pretty clear she didn't intend to come across as arrogant. I had no idea what an NPQH was.

I think the best thing you can do is just to be open and friendly. Heads who can have a laugh with their pupils and have a chat with them are the best, instead of the kind who sort of immediately draw the line of "you are the student I am the teacher there will be no fun here." Finding a balance between being firm (but fair) and friendly is one of the most important things. You don't want to be (or do you? :tongue:) the teacher that kids feel terrified at the thought of seeing, and find you overly strict and boring, but at the same time, kids can sense a pushover from a mile away and will take advantage. The ones who had that balance always were the most popular and effective, I can say after having been at quite a few different types of schools.
Reply 16
Leadership and the ability to tear through paperwork like an enraged mongoose.
Reply 17
Original post by IlexBlue

I think the best thing you can do is just to be open and friendly. Heads who can have a laugh with their pupils and have a chat with them are the best, instead of the kind who sort of immediately draw the line of "you are the student I am the teacher there will be no fun here." Finding a balance between being firm (but fair) and friendly is one of the most important things.

I think we can all work out which one I am on that scale. I'm on here after all.
Reply 18
Someone who's older than 29 and doesn't spend their time on student forums pretending that they have a whole load of teaching qualifications that don't actually add up (who does a BEd and a BA? = 6 years of education?).

I would have more respect for you if you told the truth...that you may (or may not) be a simple teacher (like myself) who has aspirations but it is going to take a while to reach them.

The youngest headteacher in the country was announced a couple of years ago as being 30 years old, so for you to be 29 and becoming Acting Head would be a remarkable feat that would be in the media. Please show me the newspaper articles being written about you, and I will apologise profusely.

PS. I realise this thread is a few weeks old, sorry.
Reply 19
Acting Head whilst gaining the NPQH, I would be 30, most probably close to 31 before getting the NPQH anyway, which from what I read the youngest head had already gained. It is VERY obvious you neg rated my post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending