The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3900
Original post by Becca
I went to this meeting on behalf of a guy from the club and ended up being forced into it because of Norwegian equality laws, lol. I don't really think there's any point of me being there, tbh, but oh well, might as well get involved and try and learn something.

It's not really a power clean if you need assistance :s-smilie:

Yeah, try to make the most of it.

It was basically a deadlift, followed by a "help me get it up" to his friend. He actually told me that he "powercleaned" a little more than that last week. The assisted rack pull looked like something that should be kept in the bedroom.
Original post by Michael XYZ
At the gym and there's this girl on the leg extension machine (the oh so popular machine amongst women). She takes out her phone and must have turned on her front camera because she starts doing her hair whilst looking at the phone.

Seriously, what the **** women kind? Can you please beat them up and tell them to man up? I'm looking at you Aivi as you're a boxer.

Original post by aivi
It's funny that girls do leg extensions, when they don't want to get "bulky", and leg extensions target the quads specifically :rolleyes:
I never know whether to laugh or cry, when I see most of the girls in the gym. I always feel like saying something like "hey you do know that your school books and handbag weigh more than those weights, and you haven't gotten any muscle from lifting your stuff daily, so..."

Sorry, no can do. After my first and only bar fight, I've made a promise to myself only to fight whoever steps in the ring with me (then it doesn't matter if it's one of the guys or some tiny girl) :P

plus you know violence is never the answer and all that ****.

Problem is that most girls want to look 'skinny fat' and think that any woman that has a bit of muscle is too bulky :rolleyes: so stick to doing low weights and high reps on the leg extension hoping to get 'tonned' legs
Did you win the bar fight then? :P
Also, have you girls found that the guys you have been with have preferred some muscle or not?

Was talking to a few friends about this and most were like "**** no!" but I'm sure that's because I train and they don't so there's that attraction to someone who works hard. I don't think very lean and muscley is a good look but some is nice. Most seemed to disagree though.
Reply 3904
Original post by rlw31
Yeah, try to make the most of it.

It was basically a deadlift, followed by a "help me get it up" to his friend. He actually told me that he "powercleaned" a little more than that last week. The assisted rack pull looked like something that should be kept in the bedroom.

How did you manage not to laugh in his face?

random question: are quarter squats supposedly good for building muscle, or is there really no reason for doing them other than being a dumbass? Just saw someone doing really really shallow "squats", and was wondering.

And yeah, I "won" the fight, though it wasn't exactly an epic battle. Long story short, she tried to scratch my face off (I've got scars on my arms from her nails), and I lost my temper and I sucker punched her and gave her a bloody face. But then we ended up apologising to each other afterwards and talking things through, and I spent the rest of the night crying about being a horrible person...I was very drunk lol.

And gym now, after I get some coffee in mah belly. Squatting should be fun with sun-burned back.
Reply 3905
Original post by aivi

random question: are quarter squats supposedly good for building muscle, or is there really no reason for doing them other than being a dumbass? Just saw someone doing really really shallow "squats", and was wondering.

And yeah, I "won" the fight, though it wasn't exactly an epic battle. Long story short, she tried to scratch my face off (I've got scars on my arms from her nails), and I lost my temper and I sucker punched her and gave her a bloody face. But then we ended up apologising to each other afterwards and talking things through, and I spent the rest of the night crying about being a horrible person...I was very drunk lol.

And gym now, after I get some coffee in mah belly. Squatting should be fun with sun-burned back.

No offence but that is such a female thing to do. lol
I think there is something to partial squats.

Paul Anderson used to do quite a lot of partial movements. However, most don't do it to supplement their squat and thus they ONLY do that which is better than nothing but not as good as full ROM.
Reply 3907
Original post by aivi

With great difficulty.
Original post by GQ.
No offence but that is such a female thing to do. lol

I think it's more of a drunk thing to do. I've seen plenty of big guys all upset about stupid things happening when they're drunk.
Original post by Chumbaniya
I think it's more of a drunk thing to do. I've seen plenty of big guys all upset about stupid things happening when they're drunk.

I think he's referring to the making up and apologizing lol.
Nice interview.

[video="youtube;FLOpwJ4MhUw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLOpwJ4MhUw&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Reply 3911
Original post by redbuthotter
I think he's referring to the making up and apologizing lol.

I agree, it's a pretty female thing to do (guys like beating the **** out of each other, whether they be strangers or friends, standard in boxing), but for some guys as well being drunk makes them PMS.
On the whole quarter squats topic, one of my friends is in the Scotland squad and they only want partial squats. My friend does full squats when not at camp though
Reply 3913
Original post by alex_tait
Nice interview.

[video="youtube;FLOpwJ4MhUw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLOpwJ4MhUw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I'm supposed to be revising, so only watched the first 5min or so, but seemed pretty interesting.
Googled their competition pictures, and they look so much better with bit higher body fat (like in the interview) and no fake tan. Gotta respect what they do, but aesthetically it's just too much for me :tongue:
White guy doesn't even really look that big but, yes, competition pics he looks massive.

I'll try give it a watch but Ian is such an unlikable person.
I used to think that Ian was just an arrogant know it all but when I looked over his videos I realised he was just a guy who was calling out a lot of people on youtube such as Lui and Marc Lobliner on their BS. For a guy who was a 95 pound anorexic I think he has done pretty well for himself. Will be interesting to see how he progresses after this year when he begins his cut.
No one likes a guy who does that though...
No one likes a guy who does that though...

That doesn't make it right that he becomes disliked. The accusations that he makes against these people are true so there is nothing wrong with it.
There are people out there who are easy to not like.

He is one of them.
There are people out there who are easy to not like.

He is one of them.

What do you find so bad about him? Is that that his videos get dull?

Quick Reply

Latest