The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by orange.bananna
I did the oh so original 'should fluoride be added to drinking water?', but it was really interesting -discovered some controversies. I spoke about it at all my interviews though and had a bit of a discussion with the interviewers about it, so it didn't seem to matter that the debate has been going on about it forever!

ok thanks, is it ok if i do a topic that is health related even if i want to do dentistry at uni? i cant seem to find any dental related topics and if i do then theres not much websites on it for me to research about it
Original post by 03zara
ok thanks, is it ok if i do a topic that is health related even if i want to do dentistry at uni? i cant seem to find any dental related topics and if i do then theres not much websites on it for me to research about it

I'm sure doing a health related one would be fine! My friend, who also applied to do dentistry, did one on how health inequalities differ according to postcode or something along those lines I think.
Resourse wise, I used a lot of information from the British Medical and Dental Associations.
Remember it is 90 hours worth of work, so you need to pick something you will be interested in otherwise you wont remain motivated.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 162
Original post by orange.bananna
I'm sure doing a health related one would be fine! My friend, who also applied to do dentistry, did one on how health inequalities differ according to postcode or something along those lines I think.
Resourse wise, I used a lot of information from the British Medical and Dental Associations.
Remember it is 90 hours worth of work, so you need to pick something you will be interested in otherwise you wont remain motivated.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask :smile:

ok thanks so much for your help :smile: good luck with the future.
Original post by nick2012
I found my EPQ really beneficial to my application. I've had two interviews so far for medicine, and at both interviews they seemed really interested in it. I think it shows a true interest in medicine as you do have to spend quite a bit of time doing it (nowhere near the 100 hours AQA suggests though).

In my opinion doing an EPQ would be of more benefit to you than doing Further Maths or Critical Thinking.

hey, what was your epq about?
Reply 164
Just to say, whilst people do stem cells and very scientific things, i took a more immunological approach, it looked at the HIV impact on swaziland and which healthcare system; US or UK would be better at functioning in the situation
Reply 165
defiantly don't think it takes 90 hours to complete more like 40 , though my wasn't medicine based really (about medical law), i know several kids in my class who did theirs on medicine, from c-sections to fillings and all found it really interesting
Original post by ebie1995
defiantly don't think it takes 90 hours to complete more like 40 , though my wasn't medicine based really (about medical law), i know several kids in my class who did theirs on medicine, from c-sections to fillings and all found it really interesting

hi,
i was just wondering if you can tell more about your project as im considering medical law :smile:
thanks in advance x
x
Reply 167
Original post by AishaTara
hi,
i was just wondering if you can tell more about your project as im considering medical law :smile:
thanks in advance x
x

I basically covered the following topics the question i asked was who does medical law benefit the most
-whats medical law- definition etc, talk about key areas 4 key ethical principles how human rights links in
bit of brief history- hummarubi of Mesopotamia mainly
-how there has been an increase in cases in recent years and why
- how medical law benefit doctors/patients/lawyers each with 2/3 key cases in detail to back up my point- vicarious liability, Bolam test, no win no fee policy, how much money lawyers get, how doctors are over worked, lots of other stuff covered in this section.
conducted a questionnarie
-conclusion

helpful books
-medical law and ethics- jonathan herring- this book was my bible
- medical law- this book was pretty good as well

if you want any more info on sites i used for research or even a copy of my essay then just pm (btw it was of a pretty good standard got 47/50 which is an A*)
So I decided to leave my EPQ til I finished my exams, so now is the time. But I was wondering, where is the best place to start? Obviously I need to collect some research together (which I have some of already) and then plan it out but there are so many things to do!

I am basing my project on Stem Cell research and development, the present and future.

Any ideas on where I should begin?
hey what sort of projects can you do, in order to sumbit only 1000 words? :s-smilie:
How have the use of anasethics evolved over the past 100 years?
advances in the Dermatological world
[video="youtube;__dUlY0JpSc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=__dUlY0JpSc[/video]
This sounds like you are wanting us to do your work for you... the basic answer is substantially
What of them? :smile:
Reply 175
Original post by It could be lupus
This sounds like you are wanting us to do your work for you... the basic answer is substantially

I would go so far as to say almost entirely. Anaesthetics did not exist as a specialty 100 years ago, and although not quite the hit-and-miss of the early days of ether, was nowhere near the slick, sophisticated (:cool: ) specialty it is today.
Reply 176
Most of my History GCSE was about how anesthetics have evolved in British Medicine in the past 150 years :smile: was a great course!
Dear all,
I was just wondering if any of you have any dermatology related lecture notes which you could send to me, or online resources I could access in order for my EPQ :smile: Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by AMELIA-x
Most of my History GCSE was about how anesthetics have evolved in British Medicine in the past 150 years :smile: was a great course!

oh wow really, which board or spec? I must see this!
Original post by Helenia
I would go so far as to say almost entirely. Anaesthetics did not exist as a specialty 100 years ago, and although not quite the hit-and-miss of the early days of ether, was nowhere near the slick, sophisticated (:cool: ) specialty it is today.

I was thinking of the use of alcohol as an anaesthetic when I said substantially, otherwise I agree. Should be interesting in the advances over the next few decades as the conscious mind becomes more understood

Latest

Trending

Trending