The Student Room Group

Inspiration for all those who start revising very late, you can get good grades!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I personally kicked myself for not revising, I was still stuck in GCSE mode tbh, were you could breeze the exams.
Original post by Nacho King
Okay, today i recieved my A2 exam results from the January exams. I posted numerous times on here asking if i had started too late etc.
So if your reading this around exam time, you still can get A's etc. I had 5 exams within 2 weeks and i only started revising in January about a week before my first exam. I remember thinking i would never be able to get A's and i would have to resit in the summer, however this is what i achieved:

84/100 ums (A) after revising 3 days before the exam.
89/100 ums(A) 1 weeks revision
89/100 ums (A) 5 days revision
73/100 (B) and 83/100 (A) did no revision for either as it was general studies.

I posted this, i when i was worrying about my exams i would google 'have i left my revision too late' etc. and so if you have done the same, this is meant to encourage you that you can still do well. :P

Lol, you've got13 dislikes for this
Thanks for telling us it's possible OP :biggrin: However no-one should ever leave it that late out of laziness
OP you such. I'm now demotivated to revise.
Reply 24
Try doing only a week of work for an A2, 3-text, closed-book exam and let me know how you get on.

There are some subjects and some specifications where exam technique + memorising basic facts will get you the grades, but it is often the case that limited revision ruins one's chance of success.
Reply 25
Original post by miss_sexy

lol the guy who said that this was a cover up has the same amount of likes lol:biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by miss_sexy

Now 18 dislikes, i don't know why, people are seeing this the wrong way.
Now 18 dislikes, i don't know why, people are seeing this the wrong way.

I know right lool. haha dont worry, you really motivated me for an exam i felt i was doomed and unprepared but the work in at the last minute just came out of it an hour ago and I think it went well :smile: X
Reply 28
Original post by ROYP
There's no way this thread will be alive in June

May, close enough.
Reply 29
well tom is my exam and im starting to revise NOW well i know that im a bit late but wish me gd luck :smile:
thx for the encourgment as i always say.... it is never too late :wink:
I think exam technique is important in getting a good grade, also if it is last minute revision you are doing then quickly scan through the topics in the textbook and look for general things you could include in any answer, for example economies of scale and price elasticity of demand can be put into alot of business questions somewhere. Then in the exam, if you haven't revised then you need to have an open mind on the questions if you don't have the exact answer and try to link in the general topics in somewhere, as your knowledge is limited you need to try and expand on the limited points you make as well as you can. Evaluation and analysis is more important than content so just try and justify and evaluate all your points no matter how poorly you do it.
This is the technique i used for my business unit 3 exam and scored 84/100.

Sorry for my explaination being so poor, these exams were 2 months ago and i can't really remember my technique very well. Hope it helps you.

Call *******s then, I took my A2's almost two years ago, and I can still remember how I revised for them.

And tbh I'd prefer to enjoy revising and learning my subjects rather than leaving it to the last minute, picking random things to learn and praying that I got it right.

If your story is true you could've quite easily got D's or C's across the board - you lucked out, nothing more.
Reply 31
congrats on your results, but arent you a bit annoyed that, if you had put even just a months work in, you could of got A*s?
Reply 32
Original post by resentment.
May, close enough.

I stand corrected
Reply 33
cool that is what i plan on doing:smile:
Going through GCSEs easy enough and I'm not revising at all. Going out in a bit too:wink:
Reply 34
i think if your doing resits you can probably cram a lot (thats what ive been doing as ive been getting lasy)
but otherwise, hard core revision is the only way...
Reply 35
There are 2 choices here:

1) Learn and revise in good time, so you are prepared in good time for the exams
2) Panic revise a week/few days before, and not achieve as well as you should have, even if you are still happy with the eventual results

I know which one I went for.
Reply 36
Feeling hostility in this thread! The point is to do your best in the time you have, learn from any mistakes and improve next time. Well done for achieving those grades and even if not everyone can 'get away with that' you've proved that sometimes things can go well when you think they're bad - bottom line, keep a positive mindset during exams.
Yeah, this really doesn't work once you're at university

But for resits cramming can definitely work, I improved a C grade to an A in a Biology AS exam after doing 3 hours revision the night before (was concentrating on other exams). But you really need some knowledge of the topics beforehand.

It's not a good habit to get into though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Lol did the same for Jan exams - chemistry got 112/120, 93% but C3 only got 81/100 lol.
Reply 39
this is lovely to read. i've been studying for 3 years straight for my A2 english exam and each time i fail despite getting A's in my coursework.... so, some advice to the normal no t so naturally clever people out there. keep trying and dont give up. no matter what happens, it doesnt matter how long it takes you, if you wan't it you'll get there. i mean i'm dyslexic. i failed english 3 years in a row, but i will still continue. What i'm trying to say is there's some people out there that don't need to revise. like this person who got a load of A's and still wanted to do better. but for most people you need to. and if you havent. don't give up. keep going, keep trying. if you havent started why not? get on with it, do your best, learn from your mistakes and try again. reading about what people got on here, won't help. come off, grab your books, and start because it's never to late. at the end of the day no-one on here will achieve your dream for you. it's down to you. you want it, you have to work for it. i'm still failing for the 6th time taking the exam i'm actually finding it quite funny now to take it as i've taken every exam paper since january 2009. fun times. but i won't give up. i will become an english teacher and i will pass. so for those who are nervous, scared or upset about exams, stop listening to how good everyone else has done, and be realistic to what you can do. you have the potential, 5 mins revision is better than no revision. so read your book. do a mind map write a song. whatever works for you but keep going. to whoever started this thread: you're supposed to help other people do well in exams by pushing them to revise, not telling them that doing no revision will not help them pass. i'm sorry but you're either naturally clever, go to a posh school or are lying. because theres no way a less intelligent person with that amount of lack of revision can get them grades so as much as well done for you - help others by telling them "as happy as i am with my grades, i was lucky and no matter how late you are revising, you should continue to try to start, no time like the present" remember guys, no matter how far along in the race you've got, the important part is you've attempted the run! keep going and revise revise revise!!

Quick Reply

Latest