The Student Room Group

Any of you done an a-level in a 'less common' language?

Scroll to see replies

omg, I completely forgot about this thread! :redface:
How are your exams going people?? :smile:
Russian exams were easier then I though, especially reading. PISS. EASY. One question was even in English, you didn't even have needed to know Russian, just make an educated guess!
Original post by Dusty12
Well, I suppose Welsh counts. I got an A at AS, but I find that the papers are simply more difficult than my other subjects. I think subjects that few people choose are often more challenging. :dontknow:

I agree, at gcse welsh have a novel to read, 5 extra pieces of coursework and a written paper, compared to french which has about 2 pieces of c/w and a short reading and listening, which welsh has too. But they're still recognised as the same difficulty.seeing as the french as oral was 10 minutes, and the welsh was 45 mins at as, this seems to be a reccuring matter.
My school offered Urdu, Arabic, Turkish, Greek and Punjabi, Polish and Portuguese.

My previous school offered Greek (for a short time) and Japanese.
I plan to one day teach myself French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Ibo (my parents' language).

Then maybe Japanese (I nearly studied it but had to move schools) and Korean.
I did AS Arabic
English :colone:
I really want to take a GCSE in Welsh, but here in England I'm not sure if that can be done without having to actually go to Wales to do the speaking exam. :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Dominicque
Russian exams were easier then I though, especially reading. PISS. EASY. One question was even in English, you didn't even have needed to know Russian, just make an educated guess!

I'm just completely jel now. I've just done my A2 Dutch exam and that was anything but piss...Though what you described seems to be my experience of AS Dutch two weeks ago! :tongue: Surely you're on about the AS exam right!?
Original post by indigoheart
I agree, at gcse welsh have a novel to read, 5 extra pieces of coursework and a written paper, compared to french which has about 2 pieces of c/w and a short reading and listening, which welsh has too. But they're still recognised as the same difficulty.seeing as the french as oral was 10 minutes, and the welsh was 45 mins at as, this seems to be a reccuring matter.

Now that's just plainly unfair! The welsh qualification seems more like the equivalent of English lit than a foreign language! Oh w8, are you on about the 'Welsh as a First language' qualification? That would explain the greater demand...
Original post by Dee Leigh
My school offered Urdu, Arabic, Turkish, Greek and Punjabi, Polish and Portuguese.

My previous school offered Greek (for a short time) and Japanese.

Now & where you be going school' !?:wink:
Or better even...where these people in your school be coming from? :wink:
Would latin be included as a language??
Original post by Dee Leigh
I plan to one day teach myself French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Ibo (my parents' language).

Then maybe Japanese (I nearly studied it but had to move schools) and Korean.

Much of a language fanatic? :wink: Didn't you do French for GCSE?
Igbo? :redface: Are you on about the language spoken in some parts of Nigeria?
It seems like a hard language to get resources for, but i suppose you've got 2 live resources available to you..in your case :biggrin:
Any particular reason for wanting to learn Jap/Kor?
Original post by Sui-Kinxtar_kitty
Would latin be included as a language??

Yes, there's been a few references as to why it should..earlier on in the thread :lol: So i'm guessing you're studying it for A-level? :smile:
Original post by constantmeowage
I really want to take a GCSE in Welsh, but here in England I'm not sure if that can be done without having to actually go to Wales to do the speaking exam. :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Welsh seems like an interesting language to me too :biggrin: I kind of like the peculiarity of the Celtic languages...I sometimes wonder what the language of modern day England would sound like...if it hadn't been linguistically raped so many times...:P
Original post by AspiringGenius
English :colone:

There is an English as a foreign language A-level available? :redface:
:banana2: WHY HAVN'T I BEEN MADE AWARE OF THISSSSSSSSSS?
Original post by Calllu-m
I did AS Arabic

Did you only just sit it? How did you find the exam & what grade did you (hope) to get? :smile:
Original post by thatitootoo
There is an English as a foreign language A-level available? :redface:
:banana2: WHY HAVN'T I BEEN MADE AWARE OF THISSSSSSSSSS?

no there isn't :smile: I just said Eglish as I do no "other" language. :colone:
Original post by Mani Katti
I do Japanese (and French) at A2 atm :smile:.

I got 'daijoubu' and 'd'accord' mixed up the other day, but other than that I quite like the differential between the two. Whenever I tell anyone my choice of A-levels, the comment I always get is "You do Japanese?!?!" before anything else - I hope it's not just me that gets this D:.

I can see why people would be fascinated by you studying Japanese as a foreign language...compared to Japanese, every other person & their dog has studied French at some stage...:wink:
Original post by AspiringGenius
no there isn't :smile: I just said Eglish as I do no "other" language. :colone:

:colone:

Quick Reply