The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

which accommodation for first years is best?!

Been to look at Huddersfield accommodation today, and i'm really stuck between Snow Island and Storthes Hall!
I liked snow Island the most, the rooms were so nice compared to Storthes, and only 5 minutes from the campus. Just bothered there won't be any freshers there, so is any other first years thinking of Snow Island?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi

Storthes Hall is like 8 miles from Campus Snow Island is way better
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm going to be a first year and I have already booked snow island! I knew some first years that went last year and they loved it!
Original post by ljade
Been to look at Huddersfield accommodation today, and i'm really stuck between Snow Island and Storthes Hall!
I liked snow Island the most, the rooms were so nice compared to Storthes, and only 5 minutes from the campus. Just bothered there won't be any freshers there, so is any other first years thinking of Snow Island?!

Im feeling exactly the same way!!! Stuck between snow island and Storthes! Really want to be round all the other first years, but don't want to be so far away from the uni!
Reply 4
Honestly, Snow island is 10 times better then Storthes. There will still be plenty of first years there and second and third years will still be pretty awesome and fun, they'll just be more experienced... Believe me when you're at Storthes waking up after a night out and go to the shower only to find out its freezing cold and then have to wait for the bus in the pissing rain only to not be able to get a seat because its packed and uncomfortable so you have to stand for 20 minutes you'll regret not going to Snow island...

If your worried about not meeting people and making friends at Snow Island then you shouldn't, hell i was in a house my first year and met loads of mates... at any halls it would be 10 times easier..
Reply 5
Ohh thankyou for the advice! Definitely think its going to be snow island for me! Hate everything about storthes except for the social aspect and if other people have booked or are thinking about snow island I shouldn't be the only fresher!
Original post by ljade

Where can I check out snow island rooms? Couldn't find any pictures on their website..
Book a viewing with Unite, and have a look around :smile:
Original post by lizziebeth91
Book a viewing with Unite, and have a look around :smile:

But then I would have to be in Huddersfield to look around! right?
Reply 9
Yeah you would but Snow island rooms are just the standard uni hall rooms like you get in every halls, a bed, some cupboards and a desk that stretches round a corner. The bathroom is an average size as is the room and the showers are better than at Storthes....
Sorry for the late reply. If you can see them these are pics of my current single room. 3/4 rooms are usually same layout with just a big more floor space and a bigger bed and double rooms are just huge! lol

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150295411758723&set=a.10150295411558723.341173.742688722&type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150295411953723&set=a.10150295411558723.341173.742688722&type=3&theater
Reply 12
Hey
Im from Ireland and will hopefully be studying in huddersfield in sept but i have know idea where to stay!! I seen people mention snow island and aspley halls but i cant find links to them so if someone could help me that would be great!
Reply 13
Snow Island: http://www.unite-students.com/unite-stage2/cities/huddersfield/properties/Snow+Island.page

Aspley: http://www.opalstudents.com/student-accommodation/huddersfield/aspley-hall-asp/features/

There you go :smile: There's also Storthes; it's a little out of Huddersfield center but it's where most first years tend to stay (:
Reply 15
oh and first years go to every single one of them your never gonna be the only fresher, i lived firth point this year
Reply 16
Will I miss out on any of the fun if I don't go to storthes? I have been told that most freshers go there
Reply 17
lol storthes is really fun but i dont think you would miss out
Reply 18
i didn't live at storthes this year (as a fresher) and don't feel i missed anything at all, if anything i felt all the party was in town and there was loads of house parties pre-freshers (i found pre-fresher week more fun that actual fresher week- this is the week you move in which is a week before) absolutely everything happened, i had like 2 2nd years in my flat which was really handy as we got to meet loads of people that they knew and had loads of house/flat parties and we went in town (more clubs after all) sure theres a lot going on at storthes... but theres sooooooooo much going on in the town they whole 2 weeks they have nights for students for freshers i almost thought i would have missed out being at storthes :P
Reply 19
Thanks so much for all the help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending