The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Courtney05
i'm actually a girl :L

I call everybody dude. Don't be offended.
Reply 21
Original post by bhogs001
Its their diet.

Jamaicans are good sprinters because

DIET (yams)
GENES (slave labourers used to run away from owners)
SCHOOLS PROMOTE TRACK SPORTS

SOURCES:BBC

not offensive in the slightest? you know being enslaved isnt a gene right?
Reply 22
Original post by katyness
I call everybody dude. Don't be offended.

just a joke...don't get stressy :L
hmmm...deja vu?
Reply 23
What do you call a bunch of white guys sitting on a bench? The 100meter finals.
Reply 24
Original post by Wilfred Little
Really?

What's wrong with Malcolm X?

And if Nick Griffin comes along and says he is not racist. Does that make him not a racist? I have long thought that Malcolm X's 'transformation' was all rather convenient for his image, his publicdity and his place in the Civil Rights movement. And I also think it's utter hypocrisy that so many will over look his history of digusting racism, giving him the benefit of the doubt in a way no White person would ever recieve.

Pick someone less militant, less racist and less extreme than Malcolm X if you want a hero from the Civil Rights movement, or be prepared to face critics.
Original post by Steevee
And if Nick Griffin comes along and says he is not racist. Does that make him not a racist? I have long thought that Malcolm X's 'transformation' was all rather convenient for his image, his publicdity and his place in the Civil Rights movement. And I also think it's utter hypocrisy that so many will over look his history of digusting racism, giving him the benefit of the doubt in a way no White person would ever recieve.

Pick someone less militant, less racist and less extreme than Malcolm X if you want a hero from the Civil Rights movement, or be prepared to face critics.

lol

Nick Griffin and Malcolm X the same? Good one.

Original post by sazzabazza
factual rather than opinionative.

Exactly.
Reply 26
Here's the article I was looking for

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/nov/15/usain-bolt-sprinters-100m

For people who can't be bothered to read the whole thing, I'll copy and paste the bits relevant to this topic.

"A fascinating study of the subject was made by think-tank scholar and journalist Jon Entine in his 1999 book theatrically entitled Taboo: Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports and Why We Are Afraid to Talk About It. Entine's theory about sprinting is that not all black athletes have a natural advantage, rather just a subset who can trace their ancestry back to West Africa.

Just as East Africans appear to have a natural ability for distance running, he says, the West African athletes and their descendants appear to have more success in sprinting. He correctly claimed back then that no white, Asian or East African athlete had ever broken 10 seconds in the 100m, in which case it is just possible his theory has some substance rather than being a sweeping generalisation.

Research published in the early 1970s suggested that black sprinters had six major differences from their white counterparts: less body fat, shorter torsos, thinner hips, longer legs, thicker thigh muscles and thinner calf muscles. But, in terms of running fast, there was also another, critical difference: a higher percentage of what physiologists call fast-twitch fibres.

The motion of the average human is geared by a largely even balance of slow-and fast-twitch muscle fibres, but research shows that just as marathon runners have an imbalance sometimes as much as 80% slow-twitch fibres so too do sprinters. The top sprinters have 80% fast-twitch fibres, and these allow them to be far more explosive and faster in short bursts".
Reply 27
I'm slow as **** so I guess I don't count.
Reply 28
I did. But it seems like you're trying to prove my point on a different situation that doesn't apply :smile:

I know, right!! It seems like I'm living the wrong skin colour :rolleyes:

I dont think you did though, evidently not from your reply. :L
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
I did. But it seems like you're trying to prove my point on a different situation that doesn't apply :smile:

I know, right!! It seems like I'm living the wrong skin colour :rolleyes:

LOL but tbh I don't believe Black people are physically superior to other races, I think it's down to the difference in environments. I think people do way more exercise in Africa compared to western countries due to the lack of transport and wide spaces etc.. If it were the other way around i think we wouldn't be the best when it comes to sports
(edited 11 years ago)
LOL I wasn't "stressy", I was calming you down. It takes a lot to get me stressed, love :smile:

I would test that, but I'm in a good mood :wink:

Back on topic: I read somewhere that it was to do with the size of their lungs (tribes in mountains need bigger lungs due to the oxygen being thinner). So, in essence, genes.

Obviously having big lungs doesn't automatically make you a decent sprinter, you need to put in hard work, training, etc.

Whether that's true or not is beyond me though, it might just be someone's speculation.
Let's dispel a couple of myths here:

Diet - can't be a factor because, in the world of high level athletics, diets are all uniquely tailored to the athlete's needs. Is it really plausible that black athletes know about a secret sprinting diet that they're collectively hiding from white athletes? No. Furthermore, Black athletes from many different countries have been successful sprinters.

Slavery - there are 8 Nigerian athletes who have broken the 10 second barrier, and others from Ghana, Zimbabwe and Namibia (compared to one white athletes). If sprinting ability was down to 'selective breeding' of slaves, then it wouldn't be present in West African countries - it would only occur in the descendants of slaves. The genetic advantage appears to be possessed by those of West African descent, and is therefore present in both West African nations and in black populations descended from slaves.

Geography question: Is West Africa particularly elevated? I was under the impression it wasn't, and that those people talking about altitude are actually confusing West African sprinters with East African distance runners. As sprinting is primarily anaerobic, the benefits to aerobic capacity that result from living and training at altitude surely shouldn't have that much of an effect?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chumbaniya
Let's dispel a couple of myths here:

Diet - can't be a factor because, in the world of high level athletics, diets are all uniquely tailored to the athlete's needs. Is it really plausible that black athletes know about a secret sprinting diet that they're collectively hiding from white athletes? No. Furthermore, Black athletes from many different countries have been successful sprinters.

Slavery - there are 8 Nigerian athletes who have broken the 10 second barrier, and others from Ghana, Zimbabwe and Namibia (compared to one white athletes). If sprinting ability was down to 'selective breeding' of slaves, then it wouldn't be present in West African countries - it would only occur in the descendants of slaves. The genetic advantage appears to be possessed by those of West African descent, and is therefore present in both West African nations and in black populations descended from slaves.

Very good post.
Genetics :smile: they ancestors and tribes have faced different conditions than us and have thus needed different skills to survive.
It's genetic.

Look at how strong Samoans are.
Reply 35
Original post by cgraham15
Genetics :smile: they ancestors and tribes have faced different conditions than us and have thus needed different skills to survive.

Yeah true and they still are living in different conditions so they will probably continue to dominate.
Reply 36
PC aside, it is surely true that the ancestors of those from the African continent may have had to adapt to be able to outrun/escape faster dangerous animals and predators than those from the European subcontinent, such as lions and other big cats. These animals are either less abundant or not found in other regions of the world, so the human residents would not have needed to adapt.
Survival of the fittest.
Reply 37
What do you call loads of black guys buried in the ground with just there heads out? Afro turf. Just a joke so chill please! On the black sprinting thing almost all events are dominated by particular races/regions. Eastern Europeans with weightlifting. Swimming with White Americans. Bike riding/rowing English. Just a few observations.
Reply 38
Original post by bhogs001
Its their diet.

Jamaicans are good sprinters because

DIET (yams)
GENES (slave labourers used to run away from owners)
SCHOOLS PROMOTE TRACK SPORTS

SOURCES:BBC

BNP member alert.
Original post by Wilfred Little

Please, don't base a whole argument on a BBC article.

Studies have shown black people to have a higher proportion of type 2 (fast twitch) muscle fibres than caucasians.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest