The Student Room Group

oxonians! whats your favourite restaurant around town?

I will be starting in Oxford this year and because i am a big foodie I would appreciate recommendations about where to eat when I get to Oxford! can anyone tell me their favourite restaurant in oxford? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chez Hassan on broad street is fantastic, food is excellent and the service is even better.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Angrid Thai, on Gloucester Green :love: :drool: :sexface:
I'd like to further back edamame.
Pfft, Hassan. Tiz all about Chez Branos :smug:
Reply 5
Original post by shj
Fire and Stone fire and stone FIRE AND STOOOONE. George Street. £5 pizzas on Thursdays. And not just normal pizzas. Pizzas with cool toppings like potato and sour cream and sidafjoisdafisdafjaoaosfh

... Ahem.

Also can I just third Professional Cuisine Chez Hassan? Nothing tops cheesy chips with gravy. £2.50. :smile:

Edit: I'm so sad

£5 pizza on thursdays (I swear it used to be £4?) is a decent deal but I'd avoid fire and stone otherwise, there's much better pizza in oxford with nice stuff on it instead of a fried breakfast or chicken tikka masala.

F&S isn't that bad at making pizza, but Pizza Mario's on Cowley does a rocket, parmesan and prosciutto pizza which is soooooo good, and on any day that isn't a thursday it's just a cheap
Reply 6
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Pfft, Hassan. Tiz all about Chez Branos :smug:

OP needs helpful advice not trolls
Reply 7
Fourthed or whatever number we're at for Chez Hassans :wink:

On a more useful note: Al Andalus tapas on Little Clarendon Street is awesome :biggrin:
Reply 8
Hassan's for me, too - their nuggets of white something (possibly meat) are divine.

Also, Atomic Burger.
Reply 9
Fire and Stone do terrible pizzas. I was violently and spectacularly ill for a week after eating one.
Reply 10
Original post by L-x
seriously though, Edamame is AMAZING, go there

It does indeed have a great reputation. However, what always staggers me is the amount of time people are willing to wait to get in there. The que can literally be 25, 30 people long - the capacity of that place is about 20! The people at the back of the que will have to wait for the people at the front of the que to finish before they get to order! And this isn't a place where the food comes quickly.

They must absolutely love that place. Serious dedication.
Original post by nexttime
It does indeed have a great reputation. However, what always staggers me is the amount of time people are willing to wait to get in there. The que can literally be 25, 30 people long - the capacity of that place is about 20! The people at the back of the que will have to wait for the people at the front of the que to finish before they get to order! And this isn't a place where the food comes quickly.

I've never seen queues that long. It is ridiculously small though:tongue:
Reply 12
Fire and Stone is actually the promised land for me, it doesn't get better than £5 pizzas!

I love Missing Bean (coffee shop) on Turl Street. As for restaurants, Browns is nice for a meal. That's just past St Giles.
Reply 13
Original post by nexttime

The queues you're talking about are only for their sushi night (thursday? It's definitely only 1 night per week but I can't remember which) which unfortunately I haven't tried, though I intend to as I love sushi and obv. the reputation is amazing. Any other day of the week the queue is typically 3-4 people which isn't very long to wait at all.
Reply 14
Pink Giraffe on St Clem's is pretty awesome, especially if you're a vegetarian (they do meat things too but I can't vouch for how good they are)
I like Santorini, the Greek restaurant on Cowley Street. Also, a bit further out of town, the Magdalen Arms is great. The Jam Factory is very good too. Best sandwiches by far are at Olives on the High Street. Rose cafe is pretty good too.
Reply 16
Original post by lessthan0
I have heard many great things about Edamame, and would personally recommend Paddyfields, which is near the train station (opposite Wahoo).

Chez Hassan, well it goes with saying.

Paddyfields is a bit hit-and-miss, and is spectacularly busy during the summer lunch period catering for Chinese tour groups, so any other paying customers are somewhat relegated to the back seat. The Opium Den on George Street is also pretty good if you fancy Chinese (it seems to be where a lot of international students go, which is only a good sign...). I haven't been to the Sojo for a while, but I remember it to be alright, nothing spectacular.

There was a really good Chinese restaurant next to the Castle pub but I think it changed chefs a while back (like, 3-4 years) and haven't been since.

edit: the sichuan/szechuan restaurant next to the bus station is also pretty good.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'll further back Hassan (except on the cheesy chips with gravy, wtf is that? yeurgh), also the AMAZING pizza van outside Christ Church. Only been there once but it's awesome because a) they have a pizza oven.IN A VAN. And b) the pizzas they produce are actually really delicious too (they do folded in half ones too if you're looking for takeaway :smile: ) I'm not veru high class when it comes to eating out :p:
I second the vote for Opium Den :yep:
Reply 19
apart from the stuff mentioned, i like the french restaurant on little clarendon st, the milkshakes at shakespeare and moo-moo's, and the cuccina pizzeria in st. clement's. great thread, btw, i should've made one when i joined but no...

Quick Reply

Latest