The Student Room Group

Urgent help needed!!

Hi everyone,

I have an exam tomorrow and I have come over with a bout of food poisoning. I am literally in excruciating pain and throwing up constantly.

What should I do?!!

There is no way I can take the exam and I've barely got any revision done today! I have to take this exam because I am hoping to go to uni this year!

Please help! Will AQA allow me to take the exam at a later date???!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh noooo oh dearie me. Hope you get well soon sweety, thats very unfortunate. Call up your school first thing in the morning or if not, check the AQA website or contact them. If its really that bad, surely you can tell them that you cant make it and get a doctors note to show your circumstances, and then re-take this unit or exam at a later date

I'm not 100% sure, just try to find out. There must be some system in place that allows exceptions for people that get ill
Reply 2
Apparently I can request special consideration.
Reply 3
Original post by banyaz
Oh noooo oh dearie me. Hope you get well soon sweety, thats very unfortunate. Call up your school first thing in the morning or if not, check the AQA website or contact them. If its really that bad, surely you can tell them that you cant make it and get a doctors note to show your circumstances, and then re-take this unit or exam at a later date

I'm not 100% sure, just try to find out. There must be some system in place that allows exceptions for people that get ill

I actually cant retake because I need to go to uni this year! Thank you for your reply!

I can't believe this is happening to me. I will ring AQA up in the morning though.
Reply 4
BUMP!!!!!!!!
Reply 5
Does anyone else have any information that could ease my mind! I am absolutely frantic here!!!!
Reply 6
Special Consideration is probably your best option here.
One thing I would do though, is actually try to get to your school/college, because the teachers and invigilators can also vouch for you.
Get a doctor's note TOMORROW and submit the special consideration through your examination officer as soon as possible.

Regarding the uni situation, call up your firm choice and explain to them what has happened, and keep in regular contact with the admissions tutors making sure they know about your situation.
Keep records of the special consideration and doctors note too.
May come in handy if you have to call up on results day and beg them to take you back on the course.
Reply 7
Original post by U.Ahmed
Special Consideration is probably your best option here.
One thing I would do though, is actually try to get to your school/college, because the teachers and invigilators can also vouch for you.
Get a doctor's note TOMORROW and submit the special consideration through your examination officer as soon as possible.

Regarding the uni situation, call up your firm choice and explain to them what has happened, and keep in regular contact with the admissions tutors making sure they know about your situation.
Keep records of the special consideration and doctors note too.
May come in handy if you have to call up on results day and beg them to take you back on the course.

Thank you!

But in regards to special consideration, how will I be marked for the exam? There is no way I can sit it. I am in no fit state.

I will ring AQA up in the morning and make a doctors appointment.

I am concerned that they will not consider food poisoning to be serious enough. But I simply can't sit a paper while heaving!
Reply 8
Original post by whattheheck
Thank you!

But in regards to special consideration, how will I be marked for the exam? There is no way I can sit it. I am in no fit state.

I am concerned that they will not consider food poisoning to be serious enough. But I simply can't sit a paper while heaving!

Firstly, don't panic, easy for me to say but loads of people have these problems.
Is your exam morning or afternoon.
If it is an afternoon exam, you can easily get to the doctors and get it checked out, get your doctors note, get to school and show them real life proof that you are seriously ill.

With regards to marking, I have heard a few things so I am not 100% sure, but I do know they will look at your previous module grades, your predicted grades, etc.
Reply 9
Thank you!

In regards to the exam - don't worry, follow the advice of everyone above.

For the grades, they tend to look at your AS marks, predict grades and coursework.
Reply 10
Original post by U.Ahmed
Firstly, don't panic, easy for me to say but loads of people have these problems.
Is your exam morning or afternoon.
If it is an afternoon exam, you can easily get to the doctors and get it checked out, get your doctors note, get to school and show them real life proof that you are seriously ill.

With regards to marking, I have heard a few things so I am not 100% sure, but I do know they will look at your previous module grades, your predicted grades, etc.

The worst thing is it is a morning exam!!! AQA does not open until 8 either! I thought I would feel better but I am still in serious pain.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by PatrickC
In regards to the exam - don't worry, follow the advice of everyone above.

For the grades, they tend to look at your AS marks, predict grades and coursework.

Thank you for your reply! :smile:
Hi everyone,

I have an exam tomorrow and I have come over with a bout of food poisoning. I am literally in excruciating pain and throwing up constantly.

What should I do?!!

There is no way I can take the exam and I've barely got any revision done today! I have to take this exam because I am hoping to go to uni this year!

Please help! Will AQA allow me to take the exam at a later date???!!!

First thing I hope you get better soon! :smile: You will need to go to your exams office and they will tell you the procedure of what you can do. It might come to a case that you will be given your predicted grade if this illness is serious enough to qualify for it- but unlikely. Secondly you will probably be given compassionate treatment if you get your instuition to tell the exam board of your situation. In addition, it would be helpful if you stayed in bed and got some rest then you will feel better hopefully to do some revision for your exams. So don't go on your computer and rest!! :biggrin: Hope everything works out for you!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Bettypratchit
First thing I hope you get better soon! :smile: You will need to go to your exams office and they will tell you the procedure of what you can do. It might come to a case that you will be given your predicted grade if this illness is serious enough to qualify for it- but unlikely. Secondly you will probably be given compassionate treatment if you get your instuition to tell the exam board of your situation. In addition, it would be helpful if you stayed in bed and got some rest then you will feel better hopefully to do some revision for your exams. So don't go on your computer and rest!! :biggrin: Hope everything works out for you!

Thank you for your reply! I have food poisoning. So it would be really difficult for me to take the exam. I am trying to rest but I am panicking because I don't know what will happen about my grade.
Thank you for your reply! I have food poisoning. So it would be really difficult for me to take the exam. I am trying to rest but I am panicking because I don't know what will happen about my grade.

That's okay! I hope you do feel better soon I wouldn't wish anyone in this position. But I hope you don't mind me saying this, if you are that ill with food posioning wouldn't you be in the bathroom being ill constantly and not on here? Are you completely 100% sure you have food posioning because usually people that have it have projectile vomiting and cannot leave the toilet. Are you sure you're not being ill due to a different reason? Maybe with some rest and a bucket you can overcome it. Best of luck with everything. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Bettypratchit
That's okay! I hope you do feel better soon I wouldn't wish anyone in this position. But I hope you don't mind me saying this, if you are that ill with food posioning wouldn't you be in the bathroom being ill constantly and not on here? Are you completely 100% sure you have food posioning because usually people that have it have projectile vomiting and cannot leave the toilet. Are you sure you're not being ill due to a different reason? Maybe with some rest and a bucket you can overcome it. Best of luck with everything. :smile:

I was in the bathroom all night! I have fainted and have a severe migraine. I am now just resting in my bed and will have to drag myself to the exams office and doctors surgery because I have no one to take me. This must be food poisoning. I couldn't possibly think of anything else it could be. My exam is in half an hour. I am stricken with panic.
Reply 16
Get some strong painkillers to supress the pain, take the bucket to the exam (i saw one person in our school who did it) and go sit your exam. It is no more than 2 hours of your life, you can take yourself in hands and do it.
The worst thing is it is a morning exam!!! AQA does not open until 8 either! I thought I would feel better but I am still in serious pain.

Contact your school. If it's that bad they'll let you off the exam and use your mark from your mock/year so far to give to universities so you can still get acceptances. Usually they'll let you take the exam in the resit period, so that your prelimenary mark is changed to the proper one.
Reply 18
Original post by soempty
Get some strong painkillers to supress the pain, take the bucket to the exam (i saw one person in our school who did it) and go sit your exam. It is no more than 2 hours of your life, you can take yourself in hands and do it.

I went in. It was not pretty.
Reply 19
Original post by ArcaneAnna
Contact your school. If it's that bad they'll let you off the exam and use your mark from your mock/year so far to give to universities so you can still get acceptances. Usually they'll let you take the exam in the resit period, so that your prelimenary mark is changed to the proper one.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I saw my doctor and should get a note tomorrow. I will take that to my exams officer who will contact AQA. This is just so stressful! Hopefully I should be better for my next exam!

Thank you to everyone for your responses!

Quick Reply

Latest