The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Subbed.
Reply 2
Original post by rockrunride
The third instalment of the now-thriving anguish at compromising manliness for looking darn good.

The former thread can be found here.

So

and

Brands, yay or nay?

Having an idea of a few different manufacturers that, in your experience, make good quality/value items, yay.

Buying an item specifically because it is a certain cache brand with the intention of deriving social status from that association, nay.
Reply 3
Original post by py0alb
Having an idea of a few different manufacturers that, in your experience, make good quality/value items, yay.

Buying an item specifically because it is a certain cache brand with the intention of deriving social status from that association, nay.

I think to an extent everyone buys stuff because of the name. For example Abercrombie make well-made clothes but are also a massive name; in fact they have become so big that it's impossible to buy anything from there without carrying the flashy stigma. Would there therefore exist, in your eyes, some brands that are nayworthy despite a reputation of producing quality goods?
Reply 4
awww yeah

subbed
Reply 5
Original post by rockrunride
I think to an extent everyone buys stuff because of the name. For example Abercrombie make well-made clothes but are also a massive name; in fact they have become so big that it's impossible to buy anything from there without carrying the flashy stigma. Would there therefore exist, in your eyes, some brands that are nayworthy despite a reputation of producing quality goods?

I will speak in general terms. When you buy an item of clothing (or indeed any commercial product), you pay £x for the product itself and a further £y for what marketing strategists call the "added value", that is the social and psychological kudos attached to that particular brand.

Personally, I am only interested in paying for the product itself. I'm not interested in attempting to gain kudos amongst my peers by association with certain clothes retailers or manufacturers. Therefore I would prefer y to be as small as possible, preferably 0.

The more fashionable the brand, the higher y will be. Hence the less likely I am to buy it. Not out of some kind of snobbery, but simply for that fact that fashionable or designer brands are a poor investment decision if you're just looking for the highest possible intrinsic quality/price ratio.
Reply 6
If you're buying items purely based off of the name and you're just following trends then <<<<<
Reply 7
Subbed.

In regards to the brands thing. I do take notice of which brands I'm buying, not because I like to show off what brand I'm wearing, but because I know which brands fit me well and fit into my overall look. So I tend to look for Fred Perry polos, Brooks Brothers and Brutus shirts and so on.
Reply 8
Subbed
Also what do people think about this jacket:
http://www.brandalley.co.uk/FSRayon/Id-14148-Produit-160719-Rayon-805045
You'll probably need to be registered to see it.

Cheers
Reply 9
About time we got to a 3rd thread :congrats:

Original post by cgvince
Opinions on this, was only £25 but im not completely sold on it,

DSC_1718.jpg

I think I have it in red.

It's a nice shirt, I'd have gotten the blue as well but I can't buy everythingi like otherwise I'd be broke.

It's a lot more versatile in blue as well, should be pretty easy to wear (although I'd unroll the sleeves do there was no white showing, looks a bit cheap).

Original post by dudeydan
Subbed
Also what do people think about this jacket:
http://www.brandalley.co.uk/FSRayon/Id-14148-Produit-160719-Rayon-805045
You'll probably need to be registered to see it.

Cheers

Nice enough, can't go wrong really.
Subbed :ahee:
Reply 11
When it comes to brands I think it's only natural that people are influenced by them, there's a reason brand management is a big deal in marketing. I wouldn't actively seek obviously branded stuff though, I do think that things like the comically large RL polo player and the Louis Vuitton signature monogram are pretty tacky, especially because you can't go anywhere in central London without seeing them.

Personally I like to keep impartial, meaning even though I hate Topman I'll still have a look every now and then to see if their current collection is different. I mean I've thought River Island was a lot of Topman-like crap for a few years now but I really like a lot of the stuff they've got now.
Reply 12
:cool:
Reply 13
I think in many ways brands are a substitute for a sense of style. If you don't know enough about clothes to be able to judge what looks good for yourself, then perhaps the safe option is simply to buy something that is fashionable and/or visibly branded, because even though you look the same as everyone else, at least you won't be singled out for mockery. Its a route most teenagers take if we're honest.
Reply 14
Original post by py0alb
I think in many ways brands are a substitute for a sense of style. If you don't know enough about clothes to be able to judge what looks good for yourself, then perhaps the safe option is simply to buy something that is fashionable and/or visibly branded, because even though you look the same as everyone else, at least you won't be singled out for mockery. Its a route most teenagers take if we're honest.

I had the same argument on a french forum. :wink:
Reply 15
opinions on these, got em for about £40 with voucher codes and a gift certificate i had:

Reply 16
I hate those stupid square leather laces, they just constantly keep untying themselves. When I had a pair I just cut em off, tucked em in, and wore them as slip ons.

I like mocassins in general, they're just a little cliched right now, having been rebranded as "boat shoes".
Reply 17
Original post by gimboid
opinions on these, got em for about £40 with voucher codes and a gift certificate i had:

Noice. I want a new pair of deckies. Scrimping on a Burton's pair didn't really work, and they've become my fall back pair for grubby nights out where they'll accumulate all types of vomit, piss, mud and alcohol. Would like to go for the real deal, eg a pair of Sperry or Sebago shoes. But to pay for the brand? Haha.
Reply 18
Looks good to me (y)
Reply 19
Original post by py0alb
I hate those stupid square leather laces, they just constantly keep untying themselves. When I had a pair I just cut em off, tucked em in, and wore them as slip ons.

I like mocassins in general, they're just a little cliched right now, having been rebranded as "boat shoes".

I prefer mocassin .... I have worked for the brand Bobbies as a salesman. I ... recommend them !

www.bobbies.fr

:love: