The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angel_night
I think with important deadlines adrenaline tends to keep you powering through them and then once you pass it, the adrenaline stops and you have the massive come down affect! I had this after exams last year sooooo badly!

This.
Reply 1341
1st class baby!
Okay, Now I am going to get my 1st draft in for tomorrow, so probably no sleep for me!
Somewhere around 8,500 words into this year's dissertation, not started on any of the introduction/instrumentation section yet, so still got a lot to write :frown:.

Got till October though to finish it, should I need the time.
I recently submitted my dissertation and decided to look through some sections to check for mistakes. Unfortunately I discovered some of them and am beginning to worry. On the main body, one of them is a typo where I wrote "3D will look better in 3D in 48fps" where it's supposed to be "3D will look better in 48fps" and I did not space two words separately, for example I wrote "citedin" instead of "cited in".

In the appendices, I spelt one word incorrectly.

Do these greatly impact my dissertation mark?
I'd not worry about it, nothing you can do now. If it makes you feel better, mine was so close to the wire hand in wise (6 minutes), I didn't even proof read the final version.

I've not looked back over it, because like you've seen you'll just notice stuff and worry about it.
I'm going to fail mine. :frown:
Original post by theronkinator
I'd not worry about it, nothing you can do now. If it makes you feel better, mine was so close to the wire hand in wise (6 minutes), I didn't even proof read the final version.

I've not looked back over it, because like you've seen you'll just notice stuff and worry about it.

Okay, but do these mistakes lose you a lot of marks or just a certain amount?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1348
Original post by lalalalalalamember
Okay, but do these mistakes lose you a lot of marks or just a certain amount?

I think they'd have to be massively anal, to penalise you for ever so slightly incorrect phrasage.
Found out today that the office have decided we aren't having ours back until the official results day :frown:
I recently submitted my dissertation and decided to look through some sections to check for mistakes. Unfortunately I discovered some of them and am beginning to worry. On the main body, one of them is a typo where I wrote "3D will look better in 3D in 48fps" where it's supposed to be "3D will look better in 48fps" and I did not space two words separately, for example I wrote "citedin" instead of "cited in".

In the appendices, I spelt one word incorrectly.

Do these greatly impact my dissertation mark?

If it makes you feel better, I honestly had to go back to re-read the first sentence again to try and spot the difference. :colondollar: If they skim read it, I doubt they'll even notice that - besides, they have thousands of words to read. And if they do notice it, you shouldn't get massively penalised, especially if it is a one-off, unless they are really anal (which they probably won't be for that). That sentence alone shouldn't drop you an entire degree classification. Try not to worry about it.

I re-read mine the other day (stupid idea I know) and realised I spelt "breadth" as "breath", but it's towards the end of the dissertation so I'm hoping they'll be tired/bored/would have already decided my mark by then to even care. I also didn't italicise "et al." in my project (both the main report and the biblio), which apparently you should have, so I'm just hoping the one marker who goes out of her way to look out for these things, doesn't spot mine. But hey, nothing you can do now.
My report is going, just so much to do.

Anyone have any decent strategies to avoid errors and basic grammatical mistakes and structural problems..

Things I am sure they'll be looking out for to mark the report down respectively.
Original post by ebam_uk
My report is going, just so much to do.

Anyone have any decent strategies to avoid errors and basic grammatical mistakes and structural problems..

Things I am sure they'll be looking out for to mark the report down respectively.

Why not book a meeting with a staff and have them look through it?

I wish my deadline was as late as yours.
(edited 11 years ago)
Why not book a meeting with a staff and have them look through it?

I wish my deadline was as late as yours.

Well, we did have exams first though, so I guess, I revised for exams mainly....the only slightly messed up thing is that our grade is just the lowest of exams /or dissertation...
Reply 1354
1st class baby! :awesome:
Original post by aeterno

:woo: :yay: :awesome: :dance: :party: :macarena: :ymca: :danceboy: :banana: :woo:
Reply 1356
Original post by aeterno

Congrats!! :rave: I found out my mark yesterday..looks like were in the 1st class club baby :hubba:
Original post by Akkuz
Congrats!! :rave: I found out my mark yesterday..looks like were in the 1st class club baby :hubba:

Oooh, well done you! :awesome: :congrats: :woo: :danceboy: :yay: :banana: :dance: :awesome:
Reply 1358
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oooh, well done you! :awesome: :congrats: :woo: :danceboy: :yay: :banana: :dance: :awesome:

Love the smileys lol. Thanks! :love:
Original post by Akkuz
Love the smileys lol. Thanks! :love:

I don't overuse smileys when I get excited. At all :ninja:

:ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest