The Student Room Group

What A-levels to take?

I have almost finished year 11 and I am worrying about what A-levels to take. I want to go into science, but not sure what career. I enjoy biology and have thought about marine biology and then I like the thought of forensic science/biology and psychology. At GCSE I am getting mostly A/A*. What A-levels would you recommend to keep my options open? Please contribute, I am having a hard time chossing. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Maddie567
I have almost finished year 11 and I am worrying about what A-levels to take. I want to go into science, but not sure what career. I enjoy biology and have thought about marine biology and then I like the thought of forensic science/biology and psychology. At GCSE I am getting mostly A/A*. What A-levels would you recommend to keep my options open? Please contribute, I am having a hard time chossing. Thanks :smile:

I would recommend:

Maths
Biology
Chemistry

and a 4th subject of your choice something you're interested in.

They are difficult subjects though so make sure you know what your taking on, but seeing as you're A/A* student you shouldn't find the gap to difficult as long as you WORK HARD i cannot stress that enough!
I'd agree with taking maths as that can get you places, and if you're not sure then go for the core stuff and don't be specific. That way you'll avoid taking 'unfavourable' A levels and you won't be limited (except to sciences ofc). Marine biology and psychology I wouldn't recommend unless you're heading in a particular direction that you're sure of, or at least only take one. I want to do psychology at uni and I'm deliberately not taking the psychology A level because it doesn't cover the more scientific areas that I'm interested in - so you have to be careful and know what you're getting yourself into.

There's a reason why 3science+2maths is so popular. You don't have to take all of them, and you might want to add in one extra that you enjoy, but a straight maths/science mix will look very good, and I can assure you that so long as you choose the sciences you enjoy the most and work at them, you will get nearly anywhere you want to.
Reply 3
Maths and Sciences can get you pretty much anywhere. If you are not sure, then just go for those subjects and maybe a different type one, english or geography maybe.
Reply 4
Maths, Biology, Chemistry + one you enjoy. If you are very capable then do F. Maths.

GL!
Reply 5
Original post by Maddie567

Okay so Biology seems like an obvious one. If you want to go into Science then I would also recommend Chemistry (as that seems to open a lot of good doors) and either Maths or Physics (Maths preferably).

As the fourth AS, I'd either choose the other one of Maths or Physics which you don't chose, or something else such as Psychology.

Those seem to be most logical to me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest