The Student Room Group

Exact value of arctan[1+sqrt(2)]

Hi,

I was doing an integration question, which required use of substitution. I took a substitution which made the working very long.

The answer is π32 \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{32}

I get the answer as 14(arctan(1+2)π4) \displaystyle \frac14 \left( arctan(1+ \sqrt2 ) - \frac{\pi}{4} \right)

Now i have no idea how to convert arctan(1+2) arctan(1+ \sqrt2) into an exact value in terms of π \pi

Though wolfram is able to do this, it gives, arctan(1+2)=3π8 arctan(1+ \sqrt2) = \dfrac{3 \pi}8

I have tried the easier substitution and got the right answer, but i just want to know how can i make this more difficult approach work.

Thanks in advance
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you substitute wolframalpha's result into your equation you get the right answer.

I don't think there is a direct way to prove this value of arctan. You can always try entering it into a calculator and dividing by pi..
Reply 2
Original post by yclicc
If you substitute wolframalpha's result into your equation you get the right answer.

I don't think there is a direct way to prove this value of arctan. You can always try entering it into a calculator and dividing by pi..

Thanks for your reply.

I know wolframalpha's result gives the right answer, but how does wolfram calculates it?

For artanh we have a formula, is there a similar formula for arctan, any idea?
Unless you happen to know the tan function very well, I don't think there's an 'easy' way of doing it.

If you're allowed a calculator then it's a simple matter of checking against different multiples of pi really.
Reply 4
No, as tanh(x) is defined as ((e^2x)-1)/((e^2x)+1) which is arranged to make x the subject, giving a formula for artanh(x). This is not the case with tan(x)/arctan(x), although they may be approximated to a polynomial by Maclaurin/taylor series, which is how a computer can calculate values of tan(x)/arctan(x)
Reply 5
Original post by marcusmerehay
Unless you happen to know the tan function very well, I don't think there's an 'easy' way of doing it.

If you're allowed a calculator then it's a simple matter of checking against different multiples of pi really.

Ok, thanks.

I was thinking that there might be a formula for it.

I just did arctan(1+2)=1.178=π×1.178π=π×0.375=3π8 \displaystyle arctan( 1 + \sqrt2) = 1.178 \ldots = \pi \times \frac{ 1.178 \ldots }{ \pi } = \pi \times 0.375 = \frac{3\pi}8
Reply 6
The + hints at using some kind of half-angle formula (it's not like to be a double-angle formula because they normally give fractions, for tan at least).

You can write tanθ=tanφ2\tan \theta = \tan \dfrac{\varphi}{2} where φ=2θ\varphi = 2\theta. Using the formula tanφ2=cosecφcotφ\tan \dfrac{\varphi}{2} = \operatorname{cosec} \varphi - \cot \varphi, we have

cosecφcotφ=1+2\operatorname{cosec} \varphi - \cot \varphi = 1 + \sqrt{2}

We don't know any tan~cot angles that give 2\sqrt{2}, so it looks like we should use the sin~cosec for that. We're done if we can find φ\varphi such that sinφ=12\sin \varphi = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} and tanφ=1\tan \varphi = -1. (And we can.)
(edited 11 years ago)
You can derive all tan(π2n)\displaystyle \tan\left(\frac{\pi}{2^n}\right) by making use of tan2θ=2tanθ1tan2θ\displaystyle\tan2\theta = \frac{2\tan\theta}{1 - \tan^2\theta} and tan2θ=1cos2θ1+cos2θ\displaystyle \tan^2\theta = \frac{1 - \cos2\theta}{1 + \cos2\theta}.
Reply 8
Original post by raheem94
ok, thanks.

I was thinking that there might be a formula for it.

I just did arctan(1+2)=1.178=π×1.178π=π×0.375=3π8 \displaystyle arctan( 1 + \sqrt2) = 1.178 \ldots = \pi \times \frac{ 1.178 \ldots }{ \pi } = \pi \times 0.375 = \frac{3\pi}8

ooh! Nice one!
Hi,

I was doing an integration question, which required use of substitution. I took a substitution which made the working very long.

The answer is π32 \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{32}

I get the answer as 14(arctan(1+2)π4) \displaystyle \frac14 \left( arctan(1+ \sqrt2 ) - \frac{\pi}{4} \right)

Now i have no idea how to convert arctan(1+2) arctan(1+ \sqrt2) into an exact value in terms of π \pi

Though wolfram is able to do this, it gives, arctan(1+2)=3π8 arctan(1+ \sqrt2) = \dfrac{3 \pi}8

I have tried the easier substitution and got the right answer, but i just want to know how can i make this more difficult approach work.

Thanks in advance

Whilst replies from Nuodai and Jacques etc. are great - surely your calculator should be able to give you an exact answer (assuming this is a-level)? Which is obviously a lot easier in an exam situation.
Reply 10
Original post by nuodai
The + hints at using some kind of half-angle formula (it's not like to be a double-angle formula because they normally give fractions, for tan at least).

You can write tanθ=tanφ2\tan \theta = \tan \dfrac{\varphi}{2} where φ=2θ\varphi = 2\theta. Using the formula tanφ2=cosecφcotφ\tan \dfrac{\varphi}{2} = \operatorname{cosec} \varphi - \cot \varphi, we have

cosecφcotφ=1+2\operatorname{cosec} \varphi - \cot \varphi = 1 + \sqrt{2}

We don't know any tan~cot angles that give 2\sqrt{2}, so it looks like we should use the sin~cosec for that. We're done if we can find φ\varphi such that sinφ=12\sin \varphi = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}} and tanφ=1\tan \varphi = -1. (And we can.)

:ta:
You are a genius!

Original post by jack.hadamard
You can derive all tan(π2n)\displaystyle \tan\left(\frac{\pi}{2^n}\right) by making use of tan2θ=2tanθ1tan2θ\displaystyle\tan2\theta = \frac{2\tan\theta}{1 - \tan^2\theta} and tan2θ=1cos2θ1+cos2θ\displaystyle \tan^2\theta = \frac{1 - \cos2\theta}{1 + \cos2\theta}.

I am not quite sure how i will apply your method to my question and will it take long time?

Original post by Hasufel
ooh! Nice one!

Original post by hassi94
Whilst replies from Nuodai and Jacques etc. are great - surely your calculator should be able to give you an exact answer (assuming this is a-level)? Which is obviously a lot easier in an exam situation.

I did one way above which gave the answer in terms of π \pi , but can the calculator directly find the answer in terms of π \pi
Though i hope to avoid such stupid mistakes in exam, the question could have been done very much quickly had i taken a different substitution but the substitution i took required too much working and at the end there was the arctan case...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
I am not quite sure how i will apply your method to my question and will it take long time?

In fact all you need is the first identity. If you rearrange

tan2θ=2tanθ1tan2θ\tan 2\theta = \dfrac{2\tan \theta}{1-\tan^2 \theta}

then, using the quadratic formula, you get

tanθ=1±1+tan22θtan2θ\tan \theta = \dfrac{-1 \pm \sqrt{1+\tan^2 2\theta}}{\tan 2\theta}

If we write tn=tanπ2nt_n = \tan \dfrac{\pi}{2^n} (for n2n \ge 2), then we must have tn>0t_n > 0 and so we take the + sign, and the above equation gives

tn=1+1+tn12tn1t_n = \dfrac{-1 + \sqrt{1+t_{n-1}^2}}{t_{n-1}}

which is quite nice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
You are a genius!

I did one way above which gave the answer in terms of π \pi , but can the calculator directly find the answer in terms of π \pi
Though i hope to avoid such stupid mistakes in exam, the question could have been done very much quickly had i taken a different substitution but the substitution i took required too much working and at the end there was the arctan case...

The newer casio calculators can give it directly in terms of pi. I don't know if they know this one though...
Reply 13
Original post by yclicc
The newer casio calculators can give it directly in terms of pi. I don't know if they know this one though...

I have fx-991ES, can this one give answers in terms of pi?
Reply 14

Yes - it does by default, doesn't it?

Yep this should give answers in terms of pi by default. Make sure you're not in Stat mode.
Reply 16
If it doesn't, just use radians and divide your answer by Pi and stick pi on the end of it. Or use degrees and convert yourself.

What exam board are you? As I do edexcel and I don't know about the tanh stuff :frown:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by JonathanM
If it doesn't, just use radians and divide your answer by Pi and stick pi on the end of it. Or use degrees and convert yourself.

Original post by hassi94
Yep this should give answers in terms of pi by default. Make sure you're not in Stat mode.

Original post by nuodai
Yes - it does by default, doesn't it?

Oh yes, it does it.

I never use the calc on Mthlo mode, i always prefer LineIO, i just set it into the other and it gave the answer in terms of pi.

Regarding the stat mode, i never use it, i did the stats exam but i never tried to take some time to learn how to use the stats mode :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by JonathanM

What exam board are you? As I do edexcel and I don't know about the tanh stuff :frown:.

I also do edexcel, but this tanh tanh stuff is in FP3.
Oh yes, it does it.

I never use the calc on Mthlo mode, i always prefer LineIO, i just set it into the other and it gave the answer in terms of pi.

Regarding the stat mode, i never use it, i did the stats exam but i never tried to take some time to learn how to use the stats mode :tongue:

Not going to lie, I'm a budding mathematician and a tech fanatic but I have no idea what the modes on a calculator are whatsoever :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest