The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arshavir
Are there any exchange programs at UCL, like Cambridge-MIT exchange program. For instance, can I study a year out at Yale???( Yale-UCL http://yale-ucl.org/index.aspx ) like do Cambridge undergraduates????

It's department dependent but yes, there's many opportunities of your department allows it to do a year abroad all over the world.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Arshavir
Are there any exchange programs at UCL, like Cambridge-MIT exchange program. For instance, can I study a year out at Yale???( Yale-UCL http://yale-ucl.org/index.aspx ) like do Cambridge undergraduates????

Look at this site: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/international-students/current-students/ucl-students-abroad/options. The list of universities UCL has a partnership agreement with. As mentioned in the previous post, it is department-related, so having an agreement with particular university does not mean exchange is open to students from all courses - often such agreement is subject/course related. Then there might be a problem with the structure of your particular course - even though UCL can have an agreement with a university (you like) for your subject (area), structure of your course might not match that of a partner university, hence you could not transfer credits and as a result, this would no longer be an option for you. Also - as you may be aware - exchange programs are subject to (sometimes very strong) competition. As for Yale - I believe the answer is no. If you look at the list of universities Yale is not mentioned there (I did not notice). Yale-UCL Collaborative is not (at least at this point) an undergraduate exchange program. I believe it is aimed at medical research and as such focuses/will focus on cooperation between UCL/Yale medical institutions and exchanges are (at this point) limited to professionals in that area - doctors, professors, maybe MSc/PhD students (although, there is a two-year UCL-Yale ´´MSc Developmental Neuroscience and Psychopathology´´ course /first year at UCL, the second at Yale/)...Also, I think this is the information you can easily infer for yourself from the link you gave - going through the site you can see there is no mention of undergrad-exchange programs, and when exchanges are mentioned (even for areas not medicine-related), these are concerned with the exchange of professors....(PS: I should mention I will be a UCL student (only) from the upcoming September and information I gave you are all gained from my ´´research´´ on UCL sites, since - before some time - I was myself interested in the question discussed...As a result, if the information I gave are incorrect, please, feel free to contradict me.)

If you´re going to be a UCL student, good luck with your studies and I hope you´ll find an exchange program that´ll satisfy you...
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey guys!

Is anyone a member of bloomsbury fitness?

is it very crowded? Is it well equipped? Do you have to pay for things such as lockers?

Thanks a lot!! xD
Original post by peliqueiro
Hey guys!

Is anyone a member of bloomsbury fitness?

is it very crowded? Is it well equipped? Do you have to pay for things such as lockers?

Thanks a lot!! xD

I am.

It does get busy in the evenings, but that's fairly typical for all gyms. In the late morning, when I try to go, it's fairly quiet. It's moderately well equipped. I think I was fairly spoiled with my previous Uni gym which was great, but it has (for example), 1 bench press, 1 squat rack, a few benches etc. There are also quite a few weights machines around. Lots of cardio machines, but these are typically what's used, so they are almost always nearly full, especially so in the evenings.

Lockers are free to use (don't even need to put a coin in) through the use of an electronic lock, but they have some serious problems at the moment with the digital locks, so trying to find a working one can be a bit of a pain.
My previous experience with uni gyms in the UK was in bath during my Erasmus. The gym there was impressive deff. worth every penny. Although it was crowded in the evenings, not that crowded 8pm onwards.

I was just wondering if Bloomsbury is good value or if I should spend a little more on the YMCA next to Tottenham Court Road (literally round the corner from my future school).
Anyone have any opinions on a Modern Languages degree at UCL? :smile:
Reply 2546
Does anyone know whether UCL has a designated Apple campus representative ? If so what is the application process as well as who is eligible to apply ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
You guys are probably getting a lot of these questions around this time of year, but do you know anyone who missed their offer by a grade and still got in? Or if you have any personal experience of this?

I've applied for linguistics and have an AAB offer btw, might end up getting ABB/A*BB if psychology goes badly.
Reply 2548
Original post by Lollyage
You guys are probably getting a lot of these questions around this time of year, but do you know anyone who missed their offer by a grade and still got in? Or if you have any personal experience of this?

I've applied for linguistics and have an AAB offer btw, might end up getting ABB/A*BB if psychology goes badly.

It is possible, but I wouldn't rely on that entirely. ily_em may tell you more :wink:
Original post by jvictor
Does anyone know whether UCL has a designated Apple campus representative ? If so what is the application process as well as who is eligible to apply ?

I haven't seen one around or heard anything. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but if they did, they aren't particularly good at their job. >_>
Original post by anotherlawstudent
I know i'm a long way away from applying to a uni as i finish my A levels in 2014 but i'm really stuck on what to choose for my A levels this August and what will be 'good enough' for UCL. I'm planning on choosing either Law with Another Legal System or Law with Advanced Studies. For my A levels i'm thinking of picking English Language, English Literature, History and Maths and not sure if they're good enough or suitable for law. Plus i'm really confused about the LNAT, do you have to prepare/revise for it in anyway? :eek:

I agree with everything Borderline said, I'm currently holding a conditional offer as well for Law except I did English literature, History, French and Geography.

As for the LNAT, there's a variety of help guides out there which are useful in getting you to familiarise yourself with the questions. The real thing will be done in a computer centre online and the minimum current requirement for LNAT is 20, although they definitely look at your Essay (you have a choice of 3 essay titles).

Make sure you register in the summer before you take it as places can fill up really quickly and also look at the LNAT website. Download their simulation exam and don't get too stressed. LNAT is only a small fraction of what they look for in a potential candidate.

http://www.lnat.ac.uk/lnat-preparation/practice-tests.aspx

Best of Luck

P.S: Forgot to mention that the LNAT guides are neither essential nor necessary and in fact can cost quite a bit. Only buy them if they consist of practice questions and look at reviews beforehand to make sure you get the best one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jvictor

There is an Apple rep, but they're not particularly active around campus from what i've seen. Most Rep positions are filled in the Spring before, so if you wanted to apply you'd have to wait till next April for your 2nd year
Hey, does anyone know what the timetables are like for maths students at ucl? How many hours of lectures per week and how many seminars? Also how many students would you typically have in your seminars?..
Original post by harryclennell
Hey, does anyone know what the timetables are like for maths students at ucl? How many hours of lectures per week and how many seminars? Also how many students would you typically have in your seminars?..

Can't help with the seminars but you can find timetables for different programmes here. You just have to click on degree programme then type "BSc Mathematics" in the box. The timetable might look slightly confusing and make sure you click on term 1 and term 2 so you can see the separate timetables you may have.
Reply 2554

first year: per week there's meant to be 12 lectures, 4 problem classes, 2 tutorials, all an hour each. probably like 4-6 in the tutorial unless some people don't turn up. Second year's similar but there are no tutorials. Third year varies depending on what you pick.
Original post by sheeesh
first year: per week there's meant to be 12 lectures, 4 problem classes, 2 tutorials, all an hour each. probably like 4-6 in the tutorial unless some people don't turn up. Second year's similar but there are no tutorials. Third year varies depending on what you pick.

Thankyou! :smile:) How many are in the problem classes?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2556
Original post by peliqueiro
My previous experience with uni gyms in the UK was in bath during my Erasmus. The gym there was impressive deff. worth every penny. Although it was crowded in the evenings, not that crowded 8pm onwards.

I was just wondering if Bloomsbury is good value or if I should spend a little more on the YMCA next to Tottenham Court Road (literally round the corner from my future school).

I'm a member of Bloomsbury Fitness and find it to be okay... it has most of what you want and it's very cheap for a year pass if bought before the end of October (i think, about £155). I tend to go early in the morning so don't have issues with busyness.

There are a few other options in the area though... ULU is worth having a look at, they have a pool.

Just have a look at the different places and pick the best for you
I'm applying to UCL for CS.

I have pretty bad GCSEs: I've been saying 1 A*, 4 As, 4 Bs and 1 C. But maybe it should be 1 A*, 3 As, 3 Bs, 1 C, 1 Distinction and 1 Merit.

My AS level choices are maths, physics and business. I've got an easy A in maths. I think a B in physics, but I'd be very happy with an A. I have no idea about business. Next year I'll carry on all 3 to A2. I'll also pick up AS further maths in which I can get another A.

Obviously I'm not predicted anything yet. But I'll know after summer. So my problem is that I'm sort of a step behind everyone else. I can end up on the same page. But most others have good GCSEs and better AS levels.

Do I even have a chance at UCL?
Original post by siebee
I'm a member of Bloomsbury Fitness and find it to be okay... it has most of what you want and it's very cheap for a year pass if bought before the end of October (i think, about £155). I tend to go early in the morning so don't have issues with busyness.

There are a few other options in the area though... ULU is worth having a look at, they have a pool.

Just have a look at the different places and pick the best for you

As a member u must know it. Is there only one bench press? Might be difficult to get to use it then :s-smilie:
Reply 2559
Thankyou! :smile:) How many are in the problem classes?

It depends on how many people turn up, so it can be anything from like 20 to the entire class. They're usually run like a lecture anyway, where the problem class teacher talks/writes stuff down and people copy, so it doesn't really matter how many people there are.

Quick Reply

Latest