The Student Room Group

Missed an A-level exam!!!

Hi, I really don't know what to do, I'm applying late to University, I'm sending my application off the day after tomorrow but the other day I missed an exam because I had an asthma attack, I have a doctors note but I don't know what to do with it? do I send it off with my application somehow? and even if I do will it matter? I'm just worried that the universities definitely won't accept me now as they will know already I missed an exam, so I carn't meet their offers :frown:
You probably need to give it to your sixth form who will forward it to the relevant people who need it.
Reply 2
First of all , you have a completely valid reason for why you missed that exam , while im not well informed as in what may happen , i think you should calm down and just get in contact with your examination officials or perhaps even ring up the examining board to check what to do , BUT dont get worried about meeting the university offer , im sure you would have , if you did the exam , so relax and i hope everything works out well for you , im an asthmatic myself , and trust me , panicking isnt the way forward , especially after something so serious as an asthma attack.

But take care and i hope it all works out for you :smile:
I think in a situation like that where you have a doctor's note, I think they give you a mark based on predicted grades or how you did in other modules or something. You need to talk to your sixth form.
Reply 4
Original post by Mangogirl
Hi, I really don't know what to do, I'm applying late to University, I'm sending my application off the day after tomorrow but the other day I missed an exam because I had an asthma attack, I have a doctors note but I don't know what to do with it? do I send it off with my application somehow? and even if I do will it matter? I'm just worried that the universities definitely won't accept me now as they will know already I missed an exam, so I carn't meet their offers :frown:

Just apply as normal and ask your reference/tutor to look at your Doctor's note and they can include this info in their bit in the reference section. If it's valid it can count as an extentuating circumstance.

Best wishes :biggrin:
Reply 5
Is it a resit of an exam you missed? If not a resit then you could still meet the offer as you should be able to send off the doctor's note along with a report from your teacher to get an estimated grade from the exam board. I don't know exactly how it works but one of my tutors at college was saying the other day she once had to write a report for a student who was too ill to sit an exam and they had to write about how well they'd been doing in class, what their predicted grade was, who in the class (who did take the exam) would have done slightly better, who would have done slightly worse etc. Then the exam board look at all the info and give an estimated grade from that.

Either way at this point it probably depends on how many applicants they've had and how many unconditional/firm/insurance offer holders they have. If it's looking like they'll fill the course without you then you'll probably get a rejection, but if it doesn't they'll probably make allowances. There's always clearing if you need it where you could get a place, and if not take a gap year and you'll probably find second time round you'll do everything ahead of others applying as you'll want it done and know what you're doing already. I had my firm and insurance choices set by November second time round.
Reply 6
Have you spoken to your school's exam officer? S/he's more likely to know the procedure than us. I could guess what to do, but that would only be speculation.

Quick Reply

Latest