The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arnab
can anyone integrate this for me please? I cant seem to be able to do it. Tried integrating it with the substitution method but i cant seem to get the right answer lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's a solution to it http://i50.tinypic.com/16kaudg.png , when you plug in the number you get (2sqrt(2) - 1)/3 which is nearly equal to 0.609, is that right?
Original post by Eternal*
Anyone here resitting from Jan ?

me unfortunately :frown: got 69 percent in January, such a disappointment.
Original post by 0range
I know exactly how you feel!, I've already done that once on my own, and am definitely not doing that again. Atm I'm just doing the review exercises in my book and seeing how they do it on the CD, it does help but the questions on the papers just seem much harder :s

what is this CD everyone is talking about? haha :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by Souriretoujours
what is this CD everyone is talking about? haha :smile:

It's the one in the back of the textbooks and often referred to as the solutionbank. Alternatively, most of the module solutionbanks can be seen online at http://sci2.co.uk/maths.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by grazie
...and often referred to as the solutionbank. Alternatively, most of the module solutionbanks can be seen online at http://sci2.co.uk/maths.html

Never knew that 0.0
Seems like I wasted £50 buying books for which I only used the CDs >.<
Original post by grazie
It's the one in the back of the textbooks and often referred to as the solutionbank. Alternatively, most of the module solutionbanks can be seen online at http://sci2.co.uk/maths.html

thank you..or should i say grazie hehe :smile:
Reply 66
me unfortunately :frown: got 69 percent in January, such a disappointment.

I got 59. We gonna try harder this time.
Reply 67
Hey guys, can anyone explain to be how to work the domain and range? Thanks X
Reply 68
Also do we need to know all the graphs of cos/sin/tan/cosec etc?
Reply 69
Original post by grazie
Do you mean 8 ii) part a) and b)? I think 8 i) is fairly standard. Do you know that

arcsinxsin1x?\arcsin x \equiv \sin^{-1} x?

It's the same for cos and tan.

Yes im fine with part 8i just i dont get 8ii.

i uderstand

But i dont understand how to answer the question?
Reply 70
ugh... i havnt even covered the whole spec yet... still got unit 8 differentiation left to do? Is it a hard unit? I'm freaking out about this exam now... i'm taking it early along with igcses and another as level... so the pressures on. I havn't looked at c3 for 2 months now as i was focusing on m1 then my gcse exams.. they're all finished now so i guess i have the next two weeks to do just c3 24/7- its gonna drive me insane!!!:angry:
Reply 71
Original post by ak395
ugh... i havnt even covered the whole spec yet... still got unit 8 differentiation left to do? Is it a hard unit? I'm freaking out about this exam now... i'm taking it early along with igcses and another as level... so the pressures on. I havn't looked at c3 for 2 months now as i was focusing on m1 then my gcse exams.. they're all finished now so i guess i have the next two weeks to do just c3 24/7- its gonna drive me insane!!!:angry:

Sorry to but a downer on things, but its probably the hardest unit
Reply 72
Original post by 101101
Sorry to but a downer on things, but its probably the hardest unit

ok... now i am seriously freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do u think i can get it done on time????
Reply 73
Original post by ak395
ok... now i am seriously freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do u think i can get it done on time????

you got 2 weeks...thats ages youll be fine!
Reply 74
Original post by XxAmxX
you got 2 weeks...thats ages youll be fine!

I have half of the exercises from unit 7 to do as well?? How hard is unit 8 compared to unit 7?
Original post by Eternal*
I got 59. We gonna try harder this time.

Agreed. Only started revising today though. What grade do you need overall in Maths?
Reply 76
Original post by ak395
I have half of the exercises from unit 7 to do as well?? How hard is unit 8 compared to unit 7?

Actually it just depends on you - whether you find differentiation interesting or not. Chapter 8 is differentiation and if it interests you, then you will be fine. You have to learn what the derivatives of some of the functions are and other more diffiult function derivatives will be given under the differentiation sub-title in the C3 section of the formula booklet that is provided in the exams usually if you ask. Personally, I find chapters 1 and 8 easiest and chapter 7 is the mst difficult chapter for me. But seriously, I practiced differentiation very well from the very beginning of C1 to the very end of C3 which is why I find it interesting. I am not very thorough with chapter 7 and this is why I find it quite difficult. So I will practice Further Trigonometric Identities very well and hopefully I will be able to cope with it well. I suggest you do the same - PRACTICE.
Reply 77
Original post by M Kh
Actually it just depends on you - whether you find differentiation interesting or not. Chapter 8 is differentiation and if it interests you, then you will be fine. You have to learn what the derivatives of some of the functions are and other more diffiult function derivatives will be given under the differentiation sub-title in the C3 section of the formula booklet that is provided in the exams usually if you ask. Personally, I find chapters 1 and 8 easiest and chapter 7 is the mst difficult chapter for me. But seriously, I practiced differentiation very well from the very beginning of C1 to the very end of C3 which is why I find it interesting. I am not very thorough with chapter 7 and this is why I find it quite difficult. So I will practice Further Trigonometric Identities very well and hopefully I will be able to cope with it well. I suggest you do the same - PRACTICE.

Ok... thnx for that... i do like differentiation but i just looked at the book and all the weird symbols are scaring me but i guess ill take it as it goes... i have 93 average ums for my as level and i think *hope* i did well in m1 so i can afford to get slightly lower... ok i know u r probs not very interested but this is my form of calming myself down :colondollar:
Reply 78
Original post by 101101
Yes im fine with part 8i just i dont get 8ii.

i uderstand

But i dont understand how to answer the question?

For part a), given that

y=arccosxy=\arccos x

Then

x=cosyx=\cos y

And the cosine of an angle is the same as the sin(π2\frac{\pi}{2} - angle). So...

x=sin(π2y)x=\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-y)

Taking arcsin on both sides

arcsinx=(π2y)\arcsin x=(\frac{\pi}{2}-y)

For part b), you're given arccos x in part a) and then worked out arcsin x. So

arccosx+arcsinx=y+(π2y)\arccos x + \arcsin x=y + (\frac{\pi}{2}-y)
=π2=\frac{\pi}{2}

I think the problem with this question is that few (or perhaps none) examples are given in the textbook.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 79

Agreed. Only started revising today though. What grade do you need overall in Maths?

Need an A x

Yu?