The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3140
I am very, very bad at maths and did fine in physics A2 (without maths at all at A-Level), so it can be done if you prefer the content of physics.
Original post by myyrh
Whichever you are more likely to get a higher grade in.

Well, I am equally good in both; (predicted a* for gcse) I just enjoy physics more. I thought that universities may like maths as its a more generalised subject?
Reply 3142
Original post by SmileAway
Well, I am equally good in both; (predicted a* for gcse) I just enjoy physics more. I thought that universities may like maths as its a more generalised subject?

Nope both treated equally :smile: Just go with Physics if you're good at it and enjoy it more.
Reply 3143
im doing maths further maths chem and bio, those are good choices right? :3
Thanks for your help ^_^ I feel a bit more encouraged to just go with physics now.
Reply 3145
Original post by oyyoyy
im doing maths further maths chem and bio, those are good choices right? :3

The thing with further maths is medical schools won't take it as a separate subject at A2 level, not too sure about AS though but just knowing their bias at A2 would discourage me from picking it. Best thing is to check with the unis on that one.

Original post by SmileAway
Thanks for your help ^_^ I feel a bit more encouraged to just go with physics now.

No worries :cool:
Reply 3146
kk i dunno what to do now :frown: i like maths so thats why i wanted to take further maths, but it seems that imperial accepts further maths as separate, but not sure about oxbridge, anyone wanna enlighten me?
Reply 3147
bump :smile:
Reply 3148
Original post by oyyoyy
bump :smile:

Ask the university.
Original post by oyyoyy
kk i dunno what to do now :frown: i like maths so thats why i wanted to take further maths, but it seems that imperial accepts further maths as separate, but not sure about oxbridge, anyone wanna enlighten me?

I only know that Cambridge like 3 science/maths subjects, and one of them must be chemistry.
Original post by oyyoyy

I can't find a statement from Cambridge as a whole about further maths, but some of the colleges (St. Catherine's and Churchill) put it in their "preferred" list.

As a whole, Cambridge say that "we require chemistry to A2 as well as 2 of (physics, biology, maths (sometimes further maths)) to A2 level."

If you are going to take further maths, make sure you're also taking maths + chemistry + Biology, otherwise that could limit your choices for other medical schools.
Reply 3151
Im doing biology, chemistry, maths
But not sure whether to do physics or psychology!!
Will drop it at AS and I'm expecting an A in physics but its my weakest science- I like it but I'm not especially good at it, psychology seems interesting but it might be too much workload...
also, theres not much variety with three sciences and maths- psychology will add some variety..
Any advice?... :s-smilie:
Reply 3152
Original post by Didierr
Im doing biology, chemistry, maths
But not sure whether to do physics or psychology!!
Will drop it at AS and I'm expecting an A in physics but its my weakest science- I like it but I'm not especially good at it, psychology seems interesting but it might be too much workload...
also, theres not much variety with three sciences and maths- psychology will add some variety..
Any advice?... :s-smilie:

Take which ever you are more likely to get a higher grade in. Psychology is still a science so it's not really going to add that much variety.
Reply 3153
yea so i emailed their admissions office, and they said that maths, f maths, bio and chem would be looked at as 4 separate a levels- all is good! :biggrin:
Reply 3154
Right, so I'm in year eleven and I need to pick my A Level options. I know that I want to do medicine at university and I think then go on to be a GP. I am definitely going to do Biology and Chemistry to the full A Level, they're my favourite subjects and I'm predicted A* at GCSE so that's all fine and lovely.

The problem is I don't know what to do for the other two options. I keep changing my mind but the options are French, Psychology and Maths. I've already got my Maths GCSE at A* and have finished my French and almost certain to get an A* in that too. I have also been studying for OCRs FSMQ but don't think I'm gonna do as well as I would have hoped. I like French and I liked GCSE Maths, I've never done Psychology before but I've sat in on a couple of lessons and it looks really interesting and I think I would enjoy it.

So the question is, what should I take? Are some options better than others? Am I missing something? Please help!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3155
1. Do what subjects you enjoy not what will lead you to a career you think you might enjoy.
2. Use the search function and google.
Hi, some of my friends have a place for medicine and I know maths is usually popular as an option, but saying that my friend does English as one of her 3 a levels and another did Spanish to AS level. The most important is bio and chem. Maths does help slightly but dont take it unless you enjoy it
1. don't presume that you'll be fine just because you got A* at GCSE or are predicted it. Many students end up gettings Ds and lower at AS as they just can't grasp the subject any more and find it a big step up- depends on you and your ability really. If you're good at learning stuff Bio should be ok if you put the hours in. Therefore, don't presume you'll do Bio and Chem to full A-level, what if you got a U in Chem (just saying worse case scenerio but im sure you wont if you work)
2. Do what you'll enjoy. As long as you have Bio and Chem you'll be fine. Ask current students about the subject, have a look at textbooks, past papers etc
3. Don't be to sure of becoming a GP, many people change their mind at med school. I'm in sixth form and was set on Dermatology, but work experience made me realise how many other interesting fields there are
4. Best of luck

any idea where you might apply? < i know its early days, and you're likely to change your mind many times.

UCL like a language at A-level ( but they only encourage it , if you enjoy and can do well in it) Peninsula like a humanity ( if you know you can do well)
Cambridge (like Maths or physics)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3158
Original post by AishaTara
1. don't presume that you'll be fine just because you got A* at GCSE or are predicted it. Many students end up gettings Ds and lower at AS as they just can't grasp the subject any more and find it a big step up- depends on you and your ability really. If you're good at learning stuff Bio should be ok if you put the hours in. Therefore, don't presume you'll do Bio and Chem to full A-level, what if you got a U in Chem (just saying worse case scenerio but im sure you wont if you work)
2. Do what you'll enjoy. As long as you have Bio and Chem you'll be fine. Ask current students about the subject, have a look at textbooks, past papers etc
3. Don't be to sure of becoming a GP, many people change their mind at med school. I'm in sixth form and was set on Dermatology, but work experience made me realise how many other interesting fields there are
4. Best of luck

any idea where you might apply? < i know its early days, and you're likely to change your mind many times.

UCL like a language at A-level ( but they only encourage it , if you enjoy and can do well in it) Peninsula like a humanity ( if you know you can do well)

Where did you hear that from :confused: ?
Reply 3159
Original post by AishaTara
4. Best of luck

okay thanks, not too sure if I'm a fan of Maths atm so maybe go with French and Psychology? am in touch with a few people in year 13 who have applied for medicine and have asked them, they just said do what you like and get experience?

as for where to apply, I've looked at hullyork and Liverpool but tbh I think I've been on every university website going, ucl was one I looked at.

thanks for the help :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App