The Student Room Group

I want to be a doctor but I can't :(

Scroll to see replies

there's still lots you can do, you can either do a med degree with a foundation year which is a good option, or you could drop an A level and pick up bio, or just apply at universities that don't require bio, some just want chemistry and probably maths, you could also possibly apply for deferred entry i reckon, then you could complete a biology AS and get valuable work experience in that time, and lastly you could apply for a science related course in uni like biochemistry or biomedical sciences then go for postgraduate medicine, although that is significantly longer!
Original post by sbobat
Drop english lit and history at the end of year 12. Take up bio and do both AS and A-Level in one year, along with maths and chemistry. It sounds very difficult but if Medicine is what your totally motivated to do then you simply have to put in the effort and try. That is what I would do in your position.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Totally agree with this, although you don't need biology all the way to A2 (AS is fine, if you want to carry on with English Lit!).

I'm also in year 12 at the moment and will be applying to Medicine so if you want to have a chat feel free to send me a PM. I've been obsessing over getting in over the past year so I think I know pretty much everything about the application process :biggrin:

I'm afraid you wont be able to do 3 years if you wanted to apply for the undergraduate course without a foundation year, unless you had a good reason (like family member dying or being seriously ill while taking your exams), which means you will have to work VERY hard next year if you want to get in the 'normal' way.

Take resits of what you can next january and then possibly apply after year 13 with your results, which will hopefully be very good, and plan a good medically related gap year which you can talk about in interview, since that's what they most frequently ask about if you do take one.

If you work hard it's definitely not unrealistic and you would only be a year behind this way, without incurring university fees for taking a foundation year.

You should probably try and sort out some work experience as soon as possible, perhaps call some GPs as this would be easiest, just to make sure it's really what you want to do before you commit yourself (it's hard work). Hospital tend to be very difficult to get into unless you can contacts on the inside.

What do you think you will get in your AS exams now?
Well to be honnest, if you put your whole heart into it.. you can pretty much do anything..

Some uni'z do accept just one science.. (+maths),,,.. so since you've picked those 2 u can still apply to medicine.. you would just be more narrowed when it comes to choosing a university..

in terms of work experience... if you start now or after the exams lets say.. you still have more than enough time to get enough work experience...

basic ones : GP/ pharmacy and care home

Put your worrying thoughts into action and you should be fine! :smile: x
Reply 43
Original post by Roshniroxy
How about completions of my current A levels then gap year to do biology ?

That actually is a valid option. I was in a similar position last year the difference being I only had biology. I called up medical schools to ask if I could take up an AS/A level in Chemistry during my gap year and still be eligible to apply, most said it was fine provided I achieve AAA in my current subjects. When medical schools want A levels to be completed within two years they mean not resitting any modules in year 14. If you were to complete your current A levels and achieve AAA I'm pretty sure some medical schools would allow you to take Biology during your gap year because you aren't resitting it as a subject, you're just doing it as a means to get into medicine. Some may ask you to give a reason why you hadn't taken the subject earlier (I was asked to do this by one of the universities I applied to). Don't rule out this option, call up the universities to check if they would still accept an application under your circumstances :smile:
Just play Cypress Hill's Rap Superstar in a loop, mentally substituting the word 'rap', for 'doctor'.

Good luck with your medicine goals of 2012.
Reply 45
Original post by Jackkkkk
You do maths and chemistry and thats fine :biggrin:

Newcastle, Durham, Kings college, Manchester, st Georges and Bristol all stipulate only 2 science subjects and that doesnt include biology :smile:

A friend of mine dropped biol after GCSE, he now holds offers from Bristol, newcastle and manchester and he does chem, maths and history.

:smile:

Hi, can I ask what his other AS was, and also what he got in his GCSE's ?

Reply 46
Hi, can I ask what his other AS was, and also what he got in his GCSE's ?

Yeah think he did Physics at AS. he got like 6 or 7 A*'s in his GCSE's :smile: hope this helps
Reply 47
Okay so here's the thing. Since I was young I've always wanted to be a doctor, and with that thought and my liking for the sciences I took triple Science. When I started the series of examinations from year 10 I always you used to get A*s ; but then something happened. I've always been a real English geek- adore books and reading and I am quite good at English Literature as it's been a subject that has never felt like it's just a part of school and I have to get it over and done with, it's always been so effort-less .So When I went in to year 11, I built up this whole idea that becoming a doctor is not my thing and I don't care about the sciences hence I stopped putting in effort for my exams and did really bad in the ISA's (ended u with an AAB) in the single science GCSE's ( B in biology).

Now I'm in year 12 currently finishing my AS levels English lit, History, Maths and Chemistry; and I've realised how stupid I was for making a stupid decision about two years ago how I don't want to be a doctor when really I do, it's something that has always been and will be at the back of my mind. I've had like some kind of revelation right now, well a realisation but it's to late as I haven't done Biology but instead picked stupid history which I failed this tuesday and don't even like.I'm so confused on what to do with my life, I suppose I'e deluded myself that I can become/want to become a lawyer but frankly I don't. I can't see myself as as lawyer in those stupid firms with the stacks of endless paper and the boring lawsuits that big companies file against each other.

What shall I do now :frown:

Go to Poland, and do a course there.
Reply 48
Original post by Jackkkkk
Yeah think he did Physics at AS. he got like 6 or 7 A*'s in his GCSE's :smile: hope this helps

Oh :/ Thanks :smile:
Okay so here's the thing. Since I was young I've always wanted to be a doctor, and with that thought and my liking for the sciences I took triple Science. When I started the series of examinations from year 10 I always you used to get A*s ; but then something happened. I've always been a real English geek- adore books and reading and I am quite good at English Literature as it's been a subject that has never felt like it's just a part of school and I have to get it over and done with, it's always been so effort-less .So When I went in to year 11, I built up this whole idea that becoming a doctor is not my thing and I don't care about the sciences hence I stopped putting in effort for my exams and did really bad in the ISA's (ended u with an AAB) in the single science GCSE's ( B in biology).

Now I'm in year 12 currently finishing my AS levels English lit, History, Maths and Chemistry; and I've realised how stupid I was for making a stupid decision about two years ago how I don't want to be a doctor when really I do, it's something that has always been and will be at the back of my mind. I've had like some kind of revelation right now, well a realisation but it's to late as I haven't done Biology but instead picked stupid history which I failed this tuesday and don't even like.I'm so confused on what to do with my life, I suppose I'e deluded myself that I can become/want to become a lawyer but frankly I don't. I can't see myself as as lawyer in those stupid firms with the stacks of endless paper and the boring lawsuits that big companies file against each other.

chemical engineering sounds right up your ally with those a-levels

highest paid engineering field and best job prospects.
Reply 50
If not a doctor, a lawyer? :rolleyes:
Reply 51
OP it's never too late!!
I left school at the age of 16. I'm next year going to be starting Med at Glasgow uni.
I never went to college until age 20. It was hard I spent more time studying than sleeping but I got to it in the end.
I'd advise looking for a pre-med course at college somewhere. Most don't have any entry requirements but a formal interview. If that fails there are access course for Pre-med. They are boring as hell but if you do well in them your spot on pre-med is assured.
Hope this helps and remember your dream is possible!
Oh :/ Thanks :smile:

If you do really well in your as levels, definitely do a medicine application for the unis that only require maths and chem.
Reply 53
Umm the only A Level thats you have to have is Chemistry!! Then you need two other subjects, with an AAA overall. You took chemistry, so whats the problem apply for Medicine!!
Reply 54
I do health and social btec , medical science which is also a btec which has physics chem and biology all together but its coursework based and also english alevel. I also wanted to do medicine. My grades are good but will they accept btec? Please reply i really need someones help urgently!!!!!!
Reply 55
Original post by Laila1234
I do health and social btec , medical science which is also a btec which has physics chem and biology all together but its coursework based and also english alevel. I also wanted to do medicine. My grades are good but will they accept btec? Please reply i really need someones help urgently!!!!!!

Ask in the Medicine subforum rather than here. For what it's worth, I don't think any med school accepts BTEC instead of A-levels, no. It's possible that some of the courses with a foundation year might though.
Reply 56
thanks for your help , do you think i would get into the six year medicine course
Reply 57
Original post by Laila1234
thanks for your help , do you think i would get into the six year medicine course

It depends firstly on whether you're talking about Medicine with a Foundation Year or the regular six-year courses that do not involve a foundation year, and secondly on whether any of the courses accept BTEC. I don't know about that, you'll have to check via UCAS or the individual universities' websites.

Edit: I've just had a look at seemingly most of the foundation year programmes available and it doesn't look like any of them will accept BTECs. You probably ought to try an Access to Medicine course if you're eligible for them and you can find a good number of unis that accept them, or to do A-levels.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58

Some med schools don't require biology to full alevel, I have applied with just an AS in biology and have received 4 interviews, maybe drop history and pick up bio AS? That could work, you still have plenty of ways around it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
You don't even need biology for some universities. Obviously having biology is seen as an advantage but there have been many people who have just taken maths and chemistry yet still got in to study medicine. I think you're over thinking this- your subject choices are good and show a range of abilities, your subjects leave many doors open for future occupations and if you really want to do bio, there's nothing stopping you from doing it another time (as others have mentioned you could take an extra year). Just relax, you're in a good position. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending