The Student Room Group

jobs for 16 year olds

Hi
Well im looking for a job for when i finally reach 16 (April 3rd)
But im not really sure where places would take 16 years on!
Id like to work somewhere like boots, superdrug, primark or a clothes shop or anything like that.
I only want a weekend job and i could probably do couple of hours after school one night.
So where do you think is best to look?
Theres a new tesco and a new netto being built near my house so im wondering if they would possibly take me on :smile:

Sorry for the big ramble.

Scroll to see replies

If you have a sportsworld near you, you should check them out. They employed me at 16 with no experience and you will be hired as casual staff, so can work whenever you want.

Waitrose are very popular for young people as well, although you do have a minimum number of hours you have to do per week.
BHS, River Island, Sainsburys/supermarkets, New Look, sports shops, local or independent clothes stores.
Reply 3
Go for somewhere where the discounts will come in useful - river island etc but if you dont go to a clothes shop you could try a leisure centre - im 17 although loads of people i work with are 16 so they do take them (although that mite vary in different leisure centres) and the benefit of working at a leisure centre is you get free use of the gym etc and they paid for me to do all my professional qualifications (national pool lifeguard qualification) which looks good on your cv. its just a thought if you dont go into clothes
Reply 4
do fopps take on 16 year olds
Reply 5
im now 16 not at skl looking for any ideas xx:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by RUN4IT
do fopps take on 16 year olds
honestly people should take 16 year olds pal i used to work bt now looking for anotha job xx:smile::wink:
people have already mentioned the normal retail shops, but remember that ain't all!

Last year my first job was as a KP (kitchen porter) at a pub, it's really hard work but the pay tends to be good and you actually learn useful things like how to cook. Most pubs or resturants are always looking out for new KPs, and you'll rarely (if ever) need actual experience. The job mostly consists of washing dishes, peeling potatoes and making basic dishes like puddings and salads. The other thing that's good about KPing is that you can get experience in other parts of the establishment, like doing a shift waiting, or pulling pints for a couple of hours.

good luck!
Reply 8
hi there. i was also thinking,
i am 17 right now and i really need a job but do you really need experience and that sort of stuff that the big adults use
before applying for jobs?

is there anyone who knows somewhere that employs inexperienced 17 year olds
in the science field?
Reply 9
hi everybody!
Reply 10
i have been having slight problems
with finding jobs for inexperienced 16 year olds.

does anyone have any ideas on websites they
went on and were successful with getting the job???
I am looking for a job to help pay for a horse..I am 16 next week and live near the town centre so to get a job there would be good, any idea where to start?
Reply 12
Original post by sherbetlily
I am looking for a job to help pay for a horse..I am 16 next week and live near the town centre so to get a job there would be good, any idea where to start?

BHS
Reply 13
Original post by Disney
Go for somewhere where the discounts will come in useful - river island etc but if you dont go to a clothes shop you could try a leisure centre - im 17 although loads of people i work with are 16 so they do take them (although that mite vary in different leisure centres) and the benefit of working at a leisure centre is you get free use of the gym etc and they paid for me to do all my professional qualifications (national pool lifeguard qualification) which looks good on your cv. its just a thought if you dont go into clothes

:O that is awesome.. is that in london?
Hi well 16 years old can be employed in many places,
for example;
retail shops - h&m, newlook, river island, jane norman, (etc.)
supermarkets - tescos, morrisons, sainsberrys, marks and spencers, (etc.)
other places like gamestation, costa, whsmiths, greggs, mcdonalds,

its quite difficault to be able to get a job with millions unemployed in uk alone but it is still do-able, most of these places are 'apply-online' so check there first for vacancies but then you can also go around giving in CV's to the managers there as well if they're looking (and maybe if they are not!), maybe a family friend could help?

Good luck!
Some people might sneer but McDonald's. Hired me at 16 with no experience two years ago and been working there for decent pay ever since :smile: They also pay you to complete an Apprenticeship qualification which includes an NVQ level 2 in hospitality :smile: And it's great craic working for them!
Reply 16
You may find that some organisations won't look at any job applications until you've finished your gcses (I don't know whether you have or not?)
Good places to try are Waiteose (employed me with no previous experience!), any little cafes or even little hotels in town. And if there are any near you, any catering companies. From the experience of friends you can work when you're available the odd evening or weekends, the pay is good and it doesn't tie you down into regular work! Just some suggestions :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by t.a.z
i have been having slight problems
with finding jobs for inexperienced 16 year olds.

does anyone have any ideas on websites they
went on and were successful with getting the job???

I went on john lewis jobs website, around this time last year and got a job in June. Now is about the time to start looking as people start letting employers know they will be leaving for university :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S
Reply 18
Original post by KellySapphire
Hi well 16 years old can be employed in many places,
for example;
retail shops - h&m, newlook, river island, jane norman, (etc.)
supermarkets - tescos, morrisons, sainsberrys, marks and spencers, (etc.)
other places like gamestation, costa, whsmiths, greggs, mcdonalds,

its quite difficault to be able to get a job with millions unemployed in uk alone but it is still do-able, most of these places are 'apply-online' so check there first for vacancies but then you can also go around giving in CV's to the managers there as well if they're looking (and maybe if they are not!), maybe a family friend could help?

Good luck!

you have to be 18 to work in sainsburys... i asked!!!:mad:
Reply 19
On your bike.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending